Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th June 2004, 12:22 PM   #1
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default Article Distribution Means Backlinks!

With the rage of link popularity, PageRank and backlinks these days, many are scrambling to get good quality links to their sites. This is often a very tedious and time consuming task.

One way I have found to help this process along is to write articles related to your industry and then publish them on your site. at the same time, you can include a statement at the bottom of your article that gives people the right to republish them so longs as they do not change the article and include a link back to your site.

My statement reads something like this:

Reproducing This Article:
Permission is granted to reproduce this article in an email newsletter or on a web site provided that the article is reproduced in its entirety as shown above, with the "About the Author" information shown above included and hyperlinking "Your Company" to http://www.yourdomain.com. Please send an email notification and a copy of the newsletter or link to web site upon reproducing it.

This has resulted in many people adding the articles to their sites which in turn increases your backlinks.

It would be interesting to hear some other ways people get others to naturally link to their sites whether that be by writing quality articles or providing a tool or some other means.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th June 2004, 10:57 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

David is right, articles are a great way to increase the number of links to your site. Site publishers are always looking for good content and articles are tough to beat.

Just remember, an article doesn't have to be pages long to be useful. Often, a few paragraphs will nail a point and it's easy for online readers to digest.

Don't be intimidated because you aren't a "writer." Just write naturally and don't be shy about contacting site owners about carrying your articles.

Robert

Old 25th June 2004, 05:22 PM   #3
divshow
VIP Contributor

Question How do you get started?

As someone who has never written an article in her life...how would you get started with writing an article?

Such as...on my newsletter I have recipes and cooking tips, so that would be the natrual way for me to go, but to turn it into an article that people would be interested in is where I get stumped.

Also, David said something about a toll. What is that?

Thanks for all the information...

Old 25th June 2004, 05:48 PM   #4
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by divshow
Also, David said something about a toll. What is that?
LOL - that was supposed to be 'tool'. There goes my spelling and grammar deficiencies again.

Old 1st July 2004, 05:29 PM   #5
WiteKnite

Quote:
As someone who has never written an article in her life...how would you get started with writing an article?
Hi there,

As an e-business coach, one of the most common fears people tell me about is the fear of writing. Of course, as an entrepreneur, this won't be the first thing (or the last) fear you've had to overcome.

To really succeed in building your own Internet business, your Web site must become a vibrant, ever-changing reflection of your personality. The best way to promote your Web site is to put the same type of content people will find on your Web site out on other sites, ezines, etc. so that when people read something they like, they'll click through to your site in search of more of the same.

Of course, that means you'll need to provide more of the same on your site! Write articles and archive them on your site... you'll be putting up new content regularly so people will always have things to read.

You have many amazing products on your Web site, and you already publish an ezine, so you've got lots to work with. There are so many things you could write about... redo a room decor using many of your products... tell people how to decorate their table for different seasons/events... tell stories about what your products make you think about (as I looked at your site, I remember my grandmother used to have windchimes on her balcony and I'd love to sit out with her and listen to them)... I could go on... (in fact, I am!)

You could hire someone to write for you, or you could find articles that other people want to publish, but the best option is to write it yourself. Like anything else, it will take time and effort, but one thing is certain... with this approach, your passion will come through on your Web site, and in your articles... your customers will be drawn to your business... and isn't that why you started a business in the first place?

I know this is blatant self promotion... sorry about that... but my company, Ride the Wave Online, offer a free e-mail course to help you become a better writer. This course is a series of five e-mails you will receive over the next week or so and at the end of it, you'll have written your first article. You'll learn to write so that your text is easy to read and your message gets through loud and clear. It's a free bonus gift we're giving away right now for people who subscribe to Surf's Up!, our ezine for Internet entrepreneurs.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate...

WiteKnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2004, 11:26 AM   #6
K.S. Katz

Quote:
1) Choose a topic you know something about.
2) Research additional information.
3) Develop an outline.
4) Write a rough draft.
5) Have some people review the article.
6) Rewrite/edit the slow areas.
7) Finish the article and publish it on your site.

Additional Tips for Web Copywriting:
Of course, those are just some of the basics. There's a lot more to writing than that. On the web, I would conserve your word count to around 250 - 1000. During the research phase, do some research on what keyword phrases people use in relation to that subject (using Wordtracker or another keyword suggestion tool).

Above all, don't try too hard. If the copy sounds forced, it probably is not going to engage the reader.

K.S. Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2004, 01:59 PM   #7
copywriter

Lisa,

Take a look around the 'Net and see how others are writing articles. The best way to learn is by example and practice. You can visit IdeaMarketers.com. They have a TON of articles on their site of all shapes and sizes. See what others who work in your field are writing about.

If push comes to shove, hire a copywriter <sheepish grin> to write the articles for you. There are thousands of places to distribute them and article submission is really an excellent and cheap source of promotion.

Karon

Old 30th July 2004, 05:40 PM   #8
Daria Goetsch

Quote:
Such as...on my newsletter I have recipes and cooking tips, so that would be the natrual way for me to go, but to turn it into an article that people would be interested in is where I get stumped.
You should try looking for websites that accept original recipes, then submit those recipes to archive on the websites with a link back to your own website. Should work the same as articles.

Also, you have recipes archived on your own site, I didn't notice an archive of your free newsletter. Archive that on your site as well, it will create interest for your visitors and add to the quality of content and size of your website.

Daria Goetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 02:19 PM   #9
StupidScript
Administrator

You may also want to consider posting your recipes and articles in a blog with links to your original pages. (Copy and paste the content into a fresh blog, if you don't want to start from "scratch" ... hehe ... a recipe joke! )

Most search engines just love to gobble up the RSS feeds provided by most blog services, and it definitely helps others discover your work for potential linking.

There are lots of blog services from free to not-free. My first non-proprietary blog is at the (free) LiveLogCity.com

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2004, 03:02 PM   #10
divshow
VIP Contributor

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to look at and process (smoke is coming out of my ears from the overuse of the brain).