Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd May 2012, 11:12 AM   #1
rachelmorgan

Smile Google Penguin Update Points

Hello Friends,

It was a change to Google’s search engine ranking results that was designed to punish pages that have been spamming Google. I think it is because of duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations? How to Know If Your Site Was Targeted. Please share your views.

Thanks

rachelmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Ryanloop

Google has really gone way out of bounds to try and kill SEO this time.

What is the difference between "over optimization" and spam, black-hat techniques.
I feel that these are just jargon's being created purposefully by Google to get out more and more updates to kill SEO in a steadfast manner.

Only if they were targeting web spam; then there is a point of argument, but this is insane.

If you closely look at all this, it simple is saying "Do as I Say!! Use only Google Products to rank higher(I am referring to Google +)". That is communist theocracy using a democratic and diplomatic tone on a neutral platform.

Regards

Ryanloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 04:38 PM   #3
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

It talks about more in natural linking, relevancy, quantity and quality.

Quote:
Unnatural Links

For companies that have been hit by the Penguin update, one common theme appears to be a severe lack of natural links, according to a blog post by Glenn Gabe at G-Squared Interactive. He noted five common issues these sites are all facing:

Paid text links using exact match anchor text: For companies that want to rank for a certain term (such as “red widgets”) one way to accomplish this is by buying links from other websites with that exact matching anchor text. This is against Google’s guidelines, as Google would consider this a paid link that exists solely to manipulate PageRank, rather than to provide any value to visitors.
Comment spam: Two things proved problematic for websites trying to unnaturally rank for specific keywords: signatures in comments that contained exact match anchor text; and people who used a spammy user name (e.g., Best India SEO Company) as exact match text.
Guest posts on questionable sites: Although guest posts are a legitimate way to earn links to your site, sites dinged by the Penguin had links pointing to their website from sites filled with low-quality articles where the focus was on the anchor text rather than the content.
Article marketing sites: Thin content featuring links with exact match anchor text were another common factor among affected sites.
Links from dangerous sites: Do you have inbound links from sites that have been flagged for malware, numerous pop-ups, or other spammy issues? This was another factor that caused websites to lose their Google rankings, so links to and from web spammers or “bad neighborhoods” are a dange

If you have something to share about new techniques, tools. etc. Please feel free to post. Thanks.

Old 7th May 2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Abhinandan Garg

After a big update of Google Penguin Update ! Google has changed some new techniques of search engine & all the web site ranking is going to down on search engine !!

Abhinandan Garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 02:34 AM   #5
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Default Getting Links From Sites That Has Been Punished By Google

As we all know google has started to work against the spamming sites , some sites already got affected in ranking. Your site might not be one of the spamming one, but you might be in danger if you earned backlink from these punished sites.so take care about it.....

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:29 AM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanloop View Post
Google has really gone way out of bounds to try and kill SEO this time.
Yep, Google hates SEOs, all right. That's why they posted this article in their help section.

Quote:
If you're thinking about hiring an SEO, the earlier the better. A great time to hire is when you're considering a site redesign, or planning to launch a new site. That way, you and your SEO can ensure that your site is designed to be search engine-friendly from the bottom up. However, a good SEO can also help improve an existing site.
And why they created this PDF format "Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide."

Yep, if I were trying to "kill" SEO, telling people to hire SEOs (while providing useful and accurate guidelines on how to tell a good SEO from a useless or harmful one), and giving people pointers on how to do their own SEO is exactly how I'd go about it. Because, of course, as we all know, the best way to "kill" something is to teach people how to do it better. (That's sarcasm, in case anyone's wondering. )

--Torka

Old 7th May 2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Incorporatorpro

Send a message via ICQ to Incorporatorpro Send a message via Skype™ to Incorporatorpro
Smile

IMHO, It's realy very simple....Google has convinced most IMers that they cannot survive without PR and SERPS.

Bad news....they can.

You see, Google wants it all, just as the old Standard Oil Monopoly wanted it all. Everything Google does is in the long term of benefit to Google and no one else.

Google is essentially telling everyone that they have to act as scavengers, waiting for something to die in order to eat and that predators, that is, those who go hunting will be mercilessly wiped out by the cute little Pandas, Penguins or whatever other cutesy animal name Google gives to its next massacre.

Thousands of sites which never engaged in an sort of SEO have nosedived with ordinary Mom-and-Pop businesses devasted by the "updates".

Good SEO is the same thing as good advertising and is not necessarily "spam", which term in itself has been so overused as to nearly lack meaning or refer pretty much to anything that someone doesn't like!

I mean, if you want to get found on the Internet, you need as many link, backlinks and references of all kinds. You need a good CAN-SPAM compliant email campaign (More on that one later!).

Google doesn't want you to have these as they might take away business from.........

(Pensive drumroll)

..........Google, of course!

What do you think?

Incorporatorpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 01:47 PM   #8
tshields

Great post. You'll really want to make sure you have a diverse link profile: forum links, blog links, social bookmarking, and guest blogging. You'll also want to change up your anchor-text, don't use your exact keywords in all the links, mix it up: "click here", "learn more", etc. This looks more natural to Google.

tshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

This is Google's attempt to ban spam. So many people try to shortcut their way to the top of the search engines while plagiarizing and/or stealing content, and doing it all by excessive linking.

Unfortunately, Google has tolerated this link abuse (and other abuses) for so long that people started to believe that's the way it should be done.

Google is trying to be loud and clear. Quality sites that please human visitors = high ranks.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Tim K.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseTaylor View Post
Google is trying to be loud and clear. Quality sites that please human visitors = high ranks.
Hmmm.. with all due respect, I'm not sure I agree.

I manage enough sites and follow the serps closely enough to realize that this algo tweak was not entirely user friendly. (Some real garbage has surfaced.) This, in my estimation, was more a sign to those who are able to game their algo to beware -- that the battle is on.

We're all trying to game their algo. If I'm a plumber and I live in Seattle, I am trying to game the algo to rank for the heavy hitting terms: "hire a seattle plumber," "seattle plumber," etc.

We all game the system with content and links. Google is on to our gaming. Penguin, in my estimation, has more to do with confusing causation and correlation for those of us in the "game."

Tim K. is offline   Reply With Quote