Originally Posted by adpost2
Can someone explain the purpose of blogs, how do they work
and who started them?
I'll take a crack at this, but someone else may be able to fill in some of the holes.
Purpose of Blogs...
Blog is short for web log. A journal (either personal or business) of chronological posts that center around a topic (or many topics). Think of a blog as an easy-to-update website that is constantly posting new articles and interesting items for their readers. They can be used for a variety of reasons, but here are some basics...
- A family could use a blog for keeping people up-to-date as to what they have been up to.
- A freelance journalist could use their blog to communicate the news
- A politician could use a blog to keep their constiuants up to date with what they are doing (transparent government)
- A business owner could blog about their products, services, and news in their industry. Blogging may elevate them to a position of authority on their focused topic, which could bring them more business
There can be many reasons for blogging, but I believe that may bloggers just want to share their ideas / views and learn some new ones in the process.
How do they work?
They work pretty much like a basic web content management system. If you are new to blogs and blogging, you may want to check out WordPress or another blogging system that is easy to use. You can either start a blog on your own web server by uploading and configuring the software, or use a free blogging service.
One of the unique features of a blog site is the ability to interact with other bloggers. This comes in the form of posting comments on other blogs, or referencing other blogs on your site. This can work in two ways...
1. Go to a blog and read a post. At the bottom of the article/ post the blogger typically allows an area where visitors can post comments about what has been written. On popular blogs, you will see many comments on posts. In fact, these blogs typically have their own "community" of people that interact on the site.
2. Reference (through hyperlinking) a post on another blog. This may send a signal (automatically) to the other blog letting the author know that someone has written something in response to their post. Typically, this brings them to your site to see what you have said. The technical term for this is trackback or link back.
Who started them?
Probably some college geeks or journalists. Actually, I am not sure on this one, but blogging has been around for about 10 years. I believe that it really gained popularity about 5 years ago.
Here are some good references you may want to check out.
WordPress.org - Free software that you can download and configure on your web server
WordPress.com - Free website where you can set up your own blog. Your URL would be something like myblog/wordpress.com
blogger.com - Free website where you can set up your own blog.
- This link is to a post that answers "what is a blog" and various blogging resources.
Hope that helps a bit. Feel free to ask any further questions.