Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd May 2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
I rank on the first page for everything I have targeted thus far.
Woot

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th May 2009, 09:46 PM   #12
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Domain name has little to no effect on SEO.
I respectfully disagree. I don't have a ton of examples, but there's a one page site called scorporation dot com that ranks/has ranked very high for an extremely competive search term (S corporation) even though it has a single link. Admittedly, the link is from a very trustworthy source (the Deloitte Touche alumni page)... But still, you can have tons of content, thousands of links, lots of traffic... and still only be able to just beat that site.

One other comment: I think if you're doing local search optimization, that the "bar" is lower.

Torka? I know you disagree with me on my first point (and maybe on my second). And I think you have good reasons (as stated here and as stated in other threads).

Old 27th May 2009, 04:28 PM   #13
SEO Marketing

if you copied exactly same content... your site will be punished by Google, I don't think its gonna be good, why don't you try to give some link from graftoncountyhomebuilder.com to johnsmithbuilder.com so people will know that graftoncountyhomebuilder.com is part of johnsmithbuilder.com network...

SEO Marketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 04:53 PM   #14
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCPA View Post
I respectfully disagree. I don't have a ton of examples, but there's a one page site called scorporation dot com that ranks/has ranked very high for an extremely competive search term (S corporation) even though it has a single link.
Except that "scorporation" doesn't contain the keyword phrase "s corporation" in the domain name. In order for that to be true, the domain name would have to be "s-corporation.com".

So whatever it is that's helping them rank at #13 for that phrase, it isn't the domain name. Sorry...

The SEs don't attempt to parse concatenated domains into their constituent pieces for ranking purposes; too much ambiguity, requiring too much expensive computing resources to resolve, and not enough additional information gained that couldn't be gotten much easier/faster/cheaper by simply indexing the on-page text (which they're already doing anyway).

--Torka

Old 28th May 2009, 05:51 PM   #15
HomeComputerGam

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
Except that "scorporation" doesn't contain the keyword phrase "s corporation" in the domain name. In order for that to be true, the domain name would have to be "s-corporation.com".

So whatever it is that's helping them rank at #13 for that phrase, it isn't the domain name. Sorry...

The SEs don't attempt to parse concatenated domains into their constituent pieces for ranking purposes; too much ambiguity, requiring too much expensive computing resources to resolve, and not enough additional information gained that couldn't be gotten much easier/faster/cheaper by simply indexing the on-page text (which they're already doing anyway).

--Torka
I'm not so sure about this, search "homecomputergames". It gets broken down well. From almost the first week I held #1 for "home computer games" and never had that phrase anywhere on the site. Being an idiot I attacked "video games" right off, to not much avail I might add. It was when I started targeting long tail phrases that I started to see some impact.

Now that the site has some age and branding my prime keywords are in site. But they are still many months, if not years, of endless nights of work away.

Last edited by HomeComputerGam; 28th May 2009 at 06:00 PM.
HomeComputerGam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 10:41 AM   #16
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
SEs don't attempt to parse concatenated domains into their constituent pieces for ranking purposes
Here is my take on this. I agree with HCG and others that is not so cut and clear that they don't. My own experiences tend to lean towards they do versus they don't. On that same note, though, I don't think the weight given is very important and can always be overcome by other variables within the algorithm such as anchor text, etc.

That said, I believe they do parse domains for keywords (with or without the dashes)

Old 29th May 2009, 11:05 AM   #17
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Well, with only 197 directly competing pages, it isn't going to take much to rank for the phrase "home computer games".

And you do use the phrase on your site. Your copyright statement, which seems to be on every page of your site, contains the phrase "Home Computer Games" (words separated) and it's linked to your home page. Don't discount the power of internal linking, especially for non competitive phrases.

This is what I mean when I say people jump to the conclusion it's the domain name, because the domain name is the most visible thing, but there may be other factors they're not taking into account.

Trust me, the SEs are not in the business of wasting computer resources. They're already trying to push around huge quantities of data as it is, such that they can't even keep their data centers in sync because even with the enormous bandwidth they have available they just can't push it all through fast enough. They are not about to waste the time and money it would take to try to resolve the ambiguity in concatenated domain names when it isn't going to do much of anything for them -- at least, nothing significant that they couldn't more easily find through other, less resource-intensive means -- in terms of increasing relevance of search results.

If you want the SEs to recognize keywords in your domain, you have to separate the words for them. The most common way to do this is with hyphens. If you don't separate the words for them, they're not going to do it. They really, truly aren't.

--Torka

Old 29th May 2009, 11:23 AM   #18
Logan
Administrator

I get 27,100 for ["home computer games"]

Quote:
If you don't separate the words for them, they're not going to do it. They really, truly aren't.
They already are. When you search google, the keywords of your search are highlighted/bold if they are included within the domain. I realize this isn't for the sake of the algorithm, but to say it is a non factor when they do highlight keywords within the domain (obviously parsing without dashes) seems off to me based on the direct evidence on a search result page.