Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > Success Stories and Profiles
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th November 2007, 04:14 PM   #1
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl
Default Happy Dancing This Week... Radio Ads

I have a client (A local specialty toy store) who can afford very little for advertising in general, at what seems to amounts to a minuscule amount on radio.

In August we started with an extremely modified sponsorship program of The Parent Report. We staggered the sponsorship with 10 spots one month and then rest for a month so we could keep the costs low enough to afford ($65.00/month). Now with a plan like this it takes time for the advertising to work. That's just the way it goes.

I dropped by this week to follow up with her and found out she's gotten 15 new customers who found the store through the radio ads.

Just thought I'd share my little radio success story :-)

**edited for typo

Last edited by radiogirl; 6th November 2007 at 06:07 PM.
radiogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th November 2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

Wow great going! It must be a nice scripted bit then. Do they plan on doing this again with the same format and pricing?

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Good work Radio Girl!

I'm surprised at the $65/month price - hardly a drop in the bucket for most businesses to spend for 15 new customers. From a marketing perspective, I'd hope they would reinvest part of their new earnings into expanding their radio advertising. I'd discuss what percentage of revenue they spend on radio advertising and then as their revenue increases ... their spending on radio advertising does as well based on the percentage. Grow the two together. Excellent example - for $65 bucks. geez. it is work sometimes

Old 6th November 2007, 06:06 PM   #4
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

They've signed on for a year at this rate (one month on, one month off) and are continuing to expand their radio advertising through the Radio Auction we have available three times a year - as business increases I'm sure the investment in radio will as well. For now, both the owner and I are happy enough with the responses that are being created.

It took a lot of time and effort to come up with a plan that would work with the budget but it's so rewarding for me to see it work - though it took time and patience for the repetitions to be high enough for listeners to clue in.

I'm sure my station manager thinks I'm nuts spending so much time with little sales, but to me they are truly the most rewarding and they have the most potential for future growth.

Old 7th November 2007, 07:31 AM   #5
mktgbiz

Here! Here!

Congrats Radio Girl!!

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 07:12 AM   #6
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I'm sure my station manager thinks I'm nuts spending so much time with little sales, but to me they are truly the most rewarding and they have the most potential for future growth
Good for you. I daresay that it takes guts to start small and not think of the buzz around you so more power to you!

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 09:38 AM   #7
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Well I figure it's not as if I'm ignoring or serving the bigger budget clients (car dealerships and motorsports dealerships for the most part) any less just because I service the small ones. They all get the same customer service and attention to budget and detail. The more they have the more I can help them achieve goals faster, but a small budget doesn't mean I have to walk away. At least that's the way I do it, station manager is so old school...sigh.

Old 9th November 2007, 02:39 PM   #8
tannerc

Thanks for sharing the success story Patrysha.

I think radio advertising is often overlooked these days, but hearing stories like this just prove: radio advertising is still a very effective way to reach an audience (people have to listen to SOMETHING on their way to and from work, don't they?).

tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote