Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Viral Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th February 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
proprint1

Default When Enough Is Enough

This is just my openion, but I think markieting companies are going too far with the virtual arketing, When I watch the news & think that the News producers are spending their time trying to gather imformative news for me & see they are selling me products in the backgrounf "I loose trust", or when CNN brings in an expert for an interview & I see the experts recently published book in the lower corner of my screen "I loose trust", when consumer advocated, come on TV trying to protect the consumers & at the same time sell a t-shirt "I loose trust". I think every Marketing company need s to start planning their campaign by first respecting the viewers intelligence, then acknowledge that they are selling something & let me decide on if I like to continue being sold to or not. i am being spammed at work & after work when I am watching TV or listening to the radio. It is becoming like a scarry movie without an exit door. What do you think?

proprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th February 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
menexis

Send a message via Skype™ to menexis
Default This is America

Because this is America. Everything is about marketing and advertising. You will never wake up a day in your life without being advertised to. just think about it, product branding is everwhere, even when you are at home.

menexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 01:56 PM   #3
customtollfree

Yup, Menexis is right... every company has something to sell be it products or services, even celebrities make a lot of money through advertising. Its all about the benjamins.

customtollfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
RaptorRex

Proprint1 is absolutely right. (S)he is referring to mixing news programming with advertising, not advertising in general. IMO news programming (which in some cases is mandatory in order to get a transmission license) should be completely commercial free.

How can you trust the nightly news to tell you honestly about adverse drug reactions when its advertising revenue comes from drug companies? Or to tell you about unsafe tires when advertising revenues come from car advertising? Or maybe that guest doctor "educating" the viewers has book revenue to generate by over-emphasizing the seriousness/likelihood of the disease he is talking about.

News as entertainment with crap to sell - that is certainly not from where I want to learn the state of the world.

Worse than the problem however is that people don't see it is a problem. Apathy and a misguided belief that nothing can be done

Old 17th March 2009, 07:50 AM   #5
bizcard

Its true, it also saddens me watching news and there's a marque on the lower screen advertising some products. But I think news company are earning quite a big money for advertising companies and its products and services.

bizcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 05:44 AM   #6
justina

Great discussion about it. Nice read.

justina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 06:31 PM   #7
HomeComputerGam

I hate the way the press hypes the bad things in the world just for more ratings so they can sell more advertising. Watching a news reporter be disappointed because no one got mutilated in a plane crash does nothing but disgust me.
Even public broadcasting is degrading to this point.

How often have you had one of your favorite songs ruined by being used on a commercial....over and over and over until you hate the song and want to wipe out everyone involved?

HomeComputerGam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:33 AM   #8
bgqw08

The news is not worth watching because it is going to slant in a direction. It is never unbiased news; it's more opinion. All news is becoming like this where it is becoming increasingly difficult to discern the difference between an opinion and fact. As the previous posts mention, it's about ratings and ad dollars. Do a little product placement and you get extra $$$. Read news reports online where it's easier to see if they are trying to convince you or are actually reporting news.

bgqw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 04:47 AM   #9
Bestone

Everything is about marketing and advertising. so its not a bad idea to .You should realize its all about product branding .

Bestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 06:17 AM   #10
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

There is no such term exist as "Enough" in the domain of marketing. You have to market your product and service at every possible ways otherwise you will be hunted down and will be humiliated sooner or later, if you fail to do that.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote