Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th June 2009, 03:36 AM   #1
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Default Search Engine Friendly Development

Hello,

I just finished a video series called Search Engine Friendly Web Development that I posted on YouTube.com. It goes over these 4 critical parts of building a SEF website:

Keyword Discovery
SEO Blueprint
Sales Copy & Content
Correct Coding

I wanted to get the communities opinion on the video series. Most likely the last one "correct coding" will be a useful video for many people. Most people ask themselves "Is my website search engine friendly" and this video will help you answer that question.

What do you think? Do you think anything is missing and should be added to the series?

Jeff

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th June 2009, 06:16 AM   #2
stephen186

You are doing a great job........keep it up.......

Looking forward for more informative videos..

stephen186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 05:14 AM   #3
HomeComputerGam

Great stuff and well explained!

Your series are in fact current issues I am working on in a more detailed essence.
One problem with many online stores, including mine, is Optimizing the "Templates" and the dynamic URLS.
Even though many shopping carts have some SEO capabilities, they are often very limited. Long side menus show first in your code before your relevant text, etc... So the search spiders just read a jumble of words instead of logic.

This is what I blueprinted for my category and product pages before I started my current redesign. Once complete all dynamic pages (150,000) will be converted to mostly static pages with a keyword rich directory structure. This will also solve page load and server load issues. So visitor page loads should be very fast. At least they are in the tests.

This redesign should allow me to talk to the spiders, in a fashion.
http://www.homecomputergames.com/newsite-1.html (view source)

Please view the source code once you get to the page.
You will see that I have most of the block code positioned with css. (in the actual developement all inline css is relocated to a style sheet)
With this I can place the text anywhere on the web page, even at the bottom, yet show it differently to the spiders.
Now these long menus are not the "Top Important Text" in the code. But rather what I want Google to understand...... I hope

This is a tool I use to see the spider view: (I will use this when optimizing my text)
http://www.webconfs.com/search-engin...-simulator.php (not affiliated)

When I start optimizing I can mix the code blocks around and still maintain web page order.
I have done a lot of pattern matching on my competitors sites and sought to include the averages in this SEO blueprint. By averages I mean , keyword density, usage in meta tags, location of keywords in the body, related keywords in everything, block and anchor titles, alt tags, inner linking, linking to other sites, and quite a few other possible patterns. I figure this will give me a good place to start fine tuning from and give me total control for on site SEO.

I tried to make the code as clean as possible. Most code comments are removed on the development site except ones for SEO reasons.

May I get a few moments of your time and get your professional opinion on this method?
I have an unbelievable amount of time and research in on this and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
I'll give you a discount at the store if you ever stop by.

HCG

PS:
It does validate: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...idator%2F1.654

Last edited by HomeComputerGam; 26th June 2009 at 07:12 AM.
HomeComputerGam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 11:03 AM   #4
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com

Hi HGC,

Thanks for the great post. Let me know how it all goes. Are you testing this before you launch it on 150,000 pages? Any test you can do with the code the normal way and then the code the way you talked about on a 10 pages site before you experiment on 150,000?

Jeff

Old 26th June 2009, 03:09 PM   #5
HomeComputerGam

Hi,
Sorry about the long post. It's hard to explain one thing without the other and before you know it you have a book.

I do have some tests going with static pages and a correct directory structure on a couple of categories. I wanted to see exactly how much directory structure effects things.
I was thinking to test my PC games category in this fashion for a month or so. I have a lot of placements on pages 2 though 5 and thought it would be a good place to see the effect.
My home page is my major concern because it has the best SERPs of the site. Those I would hate to lose.

Thanks,

HCG

HomeComputerGam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 06:33 PM   #6
bryanfuller

This is really great job. I never watch such informative and to the point SEO instruction on single place or channel of youtube.
Try to improve it,
I hope such work would get you the line of some top SEO persons.

bryanfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 02:19 PM   #7
thomas09

Hi WebBizIdeas,

It's really a great job. Sometimes it becomes easy to understand such things by watching videos.

Thanks...

thomas09 is offline   Reply With Quote