Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Question What's More Important To You - Link Relevancy And Link Popularity

Link Relevancy is the distance between and relevancy of the link you are posting and the place where the link is. So a link about chalk on a blog article discussing the merits of different types of chalk is spot on as a relevancy indicator for SEO.

In a similar way, link popularity is a combination of page popularity and domain popularity. A popular domain will rank high, just as a popular page will rank high - what we don't know is how the total popularity is arrived at - and this is the essence of where the site sits on the first page.

So we should go for relevant links on a popular site to catch the most link juice?

What is the most important to you in SEO? Which factor do you pursue when it comes to the crunch? I'm thinking link relevancy IMO.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th February 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
kurtabel

It depends what you are looking for. If you want traffic (from clicking the link), then you want relevant links. A relevant link is much more likely to bring a visitor as they are interested in your subject matter.

But if you are talking about seo benefits, then a popular site is much more powerful. Sure, if you can get a link from a relevant popular site, that is always best, but for SEO purposes, I go for popular over relevant any day.

kurtabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 01:01 PM   #3
melissacatwalk

As for me both are very important and I always try to find the golden medium

Old 19th February 2012, 03:58 PM   #4
ThirdSEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampers View Post
So we should go for relevant links on a popular site to catch the most link juice?

What is the most important to you in SEO? Which factor do you pursue when it comes to the crunch? I'm thinking link relevancy IMO.
I personally believe that link relevancy helps the most when it comes to getting better rankings. I'd take a link from a lower authority site with relevant content over a link from a high authority site that isn't related to my topic at all.

Last edited by ThirdSEO; 20th February 2012 at 04:06 AM.
ThirdSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 02:47 AM   #5
wulftec0098

While relevancy is a must if you are going to give and take links through your own website. But this format, Reciprocal linking, has been criticized by many over the period of time.

It will be ok if you get free links from popular site. You can easily get traffic and PR from them.

I too prefer Relevancy over popularity. But it will be great if you can get Relevancy + Popularity at the same time.

wulftec0098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 09:32 AM   #6
jameer

I believe a link from a high PR page is more useful rather from a relevant page with less PR.
It is very difficult to say if a page is relevant or not.
Also, people try to get links from .edu and .gov sites, since it is powerful rather it is relevant to your site.

jameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Hampers
VIP Contributor

The authority of the site plays a key role too, plenty of quality articles and content not just articles for articles sake.

This is what I am seeing so much of, sitting down to write a basically nonsense article that is not really worth reading for the sake of getting a backlink - what the Panda update was all about.

Honest, genuine, authentic content with relevant articles is worthy, relevant and should become popular.

Last edited by Hampers; 26th February 2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: sp
Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Linda22

The trick is (and it isn't easy), is to find relevant websites to your niche where you can gain links from.

Often it can be easy (topics such as finance, food, etc). Often it can be quite hard.

Always aim for as much possible links from relevant sites (no matter what their PA/DA are). One easy option is to look for partners in the same niche (can be colleagues on the others side of the world), and ask for a link to you and do the same for him. Just don't go overboard with this method.

If all relevant links do have a low PA/DA, as a backup you can create several social profiles on popular sites such as technorati, Opera, Last.fm, about.me with a link back to your website.

Linda22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 11:59 PM   #9
Martinroy7

Relevance is one of the major and important factors in an effective SEO campaign. An inbound link from another page that is based on the same topic as your own page will be given greater weight than one from an unrelated page. Infact link relevancy and popularity both are important. Because Google uses link popularity as the most important factor in ranking sites. If you want to have a successful web site, you must have high link popularity.

Old 16th April 2012, 01:13 AM   #10
SimplyCritical

There is much more value in relevant links on quality sites. There is title point in the scatter gun approach of dropping links on any site you come across.

If links are relevant traffic is also likely to stay on your site for longer.