Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th March 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
rdonovan1

Default Payment Processing

I was wondering if someone could tell me as to how to setup a payment processing system using either Google Checkout or First Data Corporation.

I have both, but do not know how to setup a payment processing system that is easy to implement on my end and easy to use on the customers end.

I do not have a website at the moment, but I am working on it. In the mean time I need to have some way of accepting payment via credit and check through either of my merchant accounts that I can use to sell products through places like Craigslist and Backpage.com.

At the moment I am having difficulty figuring it all out because at the moment it is looking like the only way to do it is to have your own website and to be and expert programmer.

How can I solve this problem in a short time frame?

Time is of the essence on this.

rdonovan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th March 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
rufman

Default solution

I use www.mals-e.com, they are free and you can start taking credit card order right away. At first you will just obtain their credit card info and process it by hand and eventually when you have enough time you can integrate real time processing. They might already have a system set up for your current processor.

Good Luck.

rufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 02:41 AM   #3
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

The only way I know of collecting payment without a website is to use PayPal. Like them or not, once you have an account, anybody can just send money to your e-mail account (that is associated with your paypal account). That's pretty easy.

With respect to the website issue, what problems are you having?? If you would rather discuss it in private, please feel free to PM me. I can help you and it's fast. Get your website taking payments and up and running in a day.

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If you don't have a website at all and need to process in-person, telephone, fax or email sales, without having your customers buy products through an online shopping cart, you need a terminal.

This can be a physical terminal (like the card swipe machines you see in stores) or a "virtual terminal" -- in other words, a secure web page where you can enter credit card information online for processing.

It will cost to obtain a terminal, whether physical or virtual. The thing you want to make sure of is that you don't get yourself locked in to an expensive long-term contract for that terminal.

PayPal offers a virtual terminal for holders of business accounts. It will cost something like $30 a month if you have a Website Payments Standard account (it's included with Website Payments Pro accounts). A virtual terminal is included with the gateway account on the payment processing solution my employer uses -- as with PayPal's Website Payments Pro, we pay a gateway fee every month and the virtual terminal is included in the services we receive.

First Data may also have something like that. I'm honestly not familiar with what they offer.

From what I can tell, Google Checkout appears to offer the potential to email invoices to clients that they can then pay through Google Checkout, but it doesn't seem to have a virtual terminal to allow you to take orders and process credit card transactions "on the fly" without a website.

If the billing/invoice-sending thing works for you, that might be another alternative.

--Torka

Old 17th March 2009, 04:28 PM   #5
rdonovan1

How can I make that work without people acting all crazy on me? I would take advantage of that, but at the moment I just don't know as to how to overcome peoples fears relating to fraud and other such things.

I keep trying to figure that out and at the moment I just don't have any answers to any of it as of yet.

At the moment due to my finances I am figuring that the only way that I can make any kind of real money is by selling my SMC products and by working at some kind of job.

I have been trying to sell things via Craigslist, but so far have not had much luck at it and due to past scams I am very concerned about taking any checks or any other form of payment without verifying it through some place First Data or Google Checkout.

I do have a First Data Virtual terminal but at the moment I am currently $55.00 dollars in the hole because of their fee's and the bank fee's and because my rent is due real soon I am also very, very worried.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, but that is how things are at the moment.

Old 17th March 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
$$maker

I usually sell virtual terminals at $15.00 a month with a $5.00 service fee that is the average cost plus percentage of the sale.
Since you are not processing I'm sure your being hit with a monthly minimum usually they are $25.00

There are check guarantee services that you can utilize but they usually have higher percentage rates.

I do have a program where you can process debit cards with a 0% of the sale only paying $1.50 for the transaction fee, $1.00 batch fee, $5.00 monthly service fee and a $15.00 monthly minimum

you just need to explore your options there are a lot of payment options out there right now feel, free to message me if you have any question.

To make your customers feel feel more comfortable maybe you can have some kind of signed contact that you can supply them promising merchandise will be delivered a certain amount of days after you receive payment.

$$maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 06:24 PM   #7
rdonovan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$maker View Post
I usually sell virtual terminals at $15.00 a month with a $5.00 service fee that is the average cost plus percentage of the sale.
Since you are not processing I'm sure your being hit with a monthly minimum usually they are $25.00

There are check guarantee services that you can utilize but they usually have higher percentage rates.

I do have a program where you can process debit cards with a 0% of the sale only paying $1.50 for the transaction fee, $1.00 batch fee, $5.00 monthly service fee and a $15.00 monthly minimum

you just need to explore your options there are a lot of payment options out there right now feel, free to message me if you have any question.

To make your customers feel feel more comfortable maybe you can have some kind of signed contact that you can supply them promising merchandise will be delivered a certain amount of days after you receive payment.

I do have a First Data virtual terminal and I would like to be able to use it, but at the moment one of the things that is severely holding me back is in developing good policies that I can apply relating to all of my SMC stuff so that customers know as to where I stand on things without offending them at all.

I also want them to feel safe and secure about anything that they order from me as if I had the money and my bank account was in the positive, then I would have no problem sending them out the stuff that they ordered at all.

Obviously SMC expects to get paid for any products that I order through them and at first everything would have to be on a dropship basis until I got enough money coming in, in which I could buy the products from them directy.

If I could do that and if I could find other products then I could sell both the SMC products and anything else that I might find through places like flea markets and through my own website as well.

Eventually as I have enough money, then I could setup a webstore through eBay and I could also be selling through eBay in auctions as well.

One of the things that I got into a long time ago was an adult website company in which I was just supposed to market the content. That lead my neighbor to suggest that I sell things like lingerie online and I know that is not a bad idea as I know that women tend to make up over 80% of the market share and I would love to be able to tap that market.

During my studies of everything and in my attempts to market the adult website I started getting very interested in things like SEO and website development and lately I have been reading books relating to those subjects and I have even been talking with a guy online that is from Florida who says that he can help me to create my website.

At the moment we are at the point in which in order for either of us to go anywhere with it I would have to pay about $60 dollars for a domain name registration and webhosting and at the moment that is not possible because I only have about $10.00 dollars to my name in cash and my bank account is in the negative and that is not to mention that my rent is due very soon.

I have been trying to sell things on Craigslist and Backpage, but so far I have not gotten any real positive responses from it all and as a result that has me very, very worried about everything.