Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th September 2010, 01:57 AM   #1
gordon

Default Honest Copy Gives You Sales And Builds Good Customer Relations

In my experience I find that being totally honest and speaking from the heart works.

The more your copy displays honesty and integrity, the more your business is going to grow. Plus you are building credibility.

I always ask myself when writing "what more value can I give to help others?"

It's a universal law, that the more you give the more you get, as long as it's from the heart.

I personally have to be in a creartive mood when copywriting.

Likewise with writing on this forum - I only write when I feel I can contribute something worthwhile.

gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th September 2010, 04:02 AM   #2
vasilisa

Hi)
i think honesty is a helpful thing but sometimes you must not be too honest, sometimes you have to keep smth in your mind and say what people want to hear, honesty is a principal thing in the private life, in relationships with "your" peolple but not always in business.

vasilisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 05:34 AM   #3
KennethLee

In advertising, it's a very fine line as to wats really honest or not.

To sell you need to create needs, build dreams, solve problems, most of it your business will not be able to achieve on its own.

You sometimes need the power of creative copy to give you a bit of leverage. I'm not saying lie, I'm saying re-position the facts.

KennethLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 12:55 PM   #4
robertclarkmtfs

Good post Gordon, I completely agree with you. As online marketers we need to help push a shift in the industry from a used car salemen mentality to one of honesty and helping others.

robertclarkmtfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Photosdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
In my experience I find that being totally honest and speaking from the heart works.

The more your copy displays honesty and integrity, the more your business is going to grow. Plus you are building credibility.

I always ask myself when writing "what more value can I give to help others?"

It's a universal law, that the more you give the more you get, as long as it's from the heart.

I personally have to be in a creartive mood when copywriting.

Likewise with writing on this forum - I only write when I feel I can contribute something worthwhile.
I agree! Honesty is the most important thing when writing copy, also believe that having images to illustrate your talking points help as well.

Photosdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 08:13 PM   #6
oldbuddy
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to oldbuddy

Producing income at my age is not nearly as critical as being able to look at myself in the mirror several times each day. Integrity is one of the few things I will be able to take with me when I leave this life.

Old 3rd July 2011, 03:54 PM   #7
Richard Blake

Integrity is obviously key and something I personally try to ensure through everything we do. It is a fine line though... For example; Do people trust small teams as much as big corporate business?

Richard Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 09:12 AM   #8
donna_t

Quote:
To sell you need to create needs, build dreams, solve problems, most of it your business will not be able to achieve on its own.

You sometimes need the power of creative copy to give you a bit of leverage. I'm not saying lie, I'm saying re-position the facts.
Totally true. Honesty is definately the best policy for a long term business . . BUT . . you need to highlight to the visitor their problems and how the product/service will get rid of them and make their dream a reality.

You don't have to lie to build that up. Just be honest when choosing your product/service to promote and don't recommend any product or service that won't deliver.

donna_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 10:18 AM   #9
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Totally true. Honesty is definately the best policy for a long term business . . BUT . . you need to highlight to the visitor their problems and how the product/service will get rid of them and make their dream a reality.

... and above that... speak to ONE person. Write your copy as if you were having a conversation with one person, not a 'group'.

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 10:57 AM   #10
donna_t

Quote:
... and above that... speak to ONE person. Write your copy as if you were having a conversation with one person, not a 'group'.
VERY true!

donna_t is offline   Reply With Quote