Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd June 2005, 10:44 PM   #1
x ashuhleee

Exclamation Father is in need of company name.

Hello everyone,

I'm new and i'm only 15 years old...reason why I am here is because my father is going into his own pest control business after 13 years of working with Western Exterminator, and his friend's business. I don't know if i'm in the right place...but, i really would like to help my dad. He is currently trying to get a name approval for his pest control business...My dad's name is Bob and his choices were "Bob the bug guy", "Bug guy bob", "Bob the bug man", and "Bugman bob"...Now as you can see, he is pretty big on having his name in his company name. But after he had submitted these names to the structural pest control board they had told him that they were not currently approving any names with Bob in them(ridiculous, i know) nor pest or bug as the first word. He can use his surname like Bob powley the buy guy...powley being his last name..He's thought of Mr. Bug guy, Mr. Bug man, The Bug Squisher..etc..What i(we) need is some name ideas. If any of you can provide any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

P.S...I apologize if this is the wrong type of thread to start in this certain forum. I had nowhere else to go & thought this place sort of fits. =]

x ashuhleee is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:57 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by x ashuhleee
P.S...I apologize if this is the wrong type of thread to start in this certain forum. I had nowhere else to go & thought this place sort of fits. =]
Welcome to the forum x ashuhleee! You did post in the correct forum.

I don't have any great ideas off the top of my head right now (I will try and think of something though), but my advice would be to choose a name that has the domain name available as well.

Old 4th June 2005, 09:21 AM   #3
obinstitute
VIP Contributor

Choosing the company name should be influenced by the type of business, the audience, and the personality of your father. If I were going into the pest control business ( and I have a strange type personality) I might use names like:

Powley's Pest Patrol
Pest-Be-Gone
Besting Pests
Killing Bugs 4 You

Just my 2 cents worth

Michele

Old 4th June 2005, 08:07 PM   #4
moraviaspy

Send a message via AIM to moraviaspy Send a message via Skype™ to moraviaspy

I had a pest control business twice. The first time I used my surname (Nelson's Pest Control). The second time I was more creative and called it Aardvark Pest Control. People seemed to remember that name better. I had a nice little aardvark character with a spray can. The most important benefit though was that it gave me first listing in the phone book. As obinstitute pointed out Name can be very influential.

On another note, for the 25 years I was in the Pest Control business, I always resented being referred to as the 'BUGMAN'. I would have never had that it my business name.

Good luck.

Paul

Old 5th June 2005, 01:49 AM   #5
trobinette

I am currently starting a business that does pest control (among other things) and thought of a few names. I decided on Dirt-e-Work because of all the other things the company does. My suggestion is to not use "Pest" or "Bug" in the first part of the name. This happens too often. The name should stand out from the others. You always have the option of putting the region or state where you live in the name (ie. Western States Pest Control, Golden State Pest Control, etc). It depends on what kind of a image your father wants to present. Personally I prefer a name that sounds like a professional corperation. Using your name in the business name doesn't stand out to me. I would rather use a "Weber Valley Plumming" than a "Bob's Plumming". Just my oppinion. Hope I was some help and good luck.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

trobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2005, 10:30 AM   #6
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

How about:

Don't BUG Me Pest Control

oops, looks like someone has that domain already.

Mayb: Don't PESTer me?

Old 6th June 2005, 05:02 PM   #7
cqa2005

Smile Pest control name

It's strange that an organization would have name taboos. Hmmm... I guess I'd go with Rid - Force 1. It's unusual, people will ask about it and it allures to what it is being done.

cqa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 09:03 AM   #8
outbuy

Default What's in a name?

A name has to do two things, promote a professional image on one side, and then inspire creativity of the customer/potential customer on the other side.

I worked for a company called "Kraken". Anyone know what that is? Some people do, most don't, so they ask. It also inspires jokes and tag lines, like "Get Kraken (Cracking)"! Which is good, because it is remembered.

Kraken is a mythological Norwegian sea creature, a giant squid like thing. Nothing to do with our business, but its memorable, and we were able to use the 8 arms of a squid/octupus to represent graphically aspects of our business.

Are there any weird and memorable names of a type of bug/creature that you dad would "kill"?

You could call it the "fancy name of a bug" Express or something, and have a train logo with different bugs riding in the cars....

Just be creative, and enjoy!

outbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 11:30 AM   #9
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I read once that you should be careful choosing a name which is not self-explanatory. I made that mistake early on and came to realize that the point the author was trying to make was dead on... you spend a lot of needless time trying to explain what you do when people ask. It's also easier for word of mouth referrals.

Old 12th July 2005, 01:16 PM   #10
machine

As moraviaspy pointed out the word Aardvark gets you first in the phone book. Acme gets you close to the beginning too. I don't know how many aardvark business names there are in the world but I have seen heaps of them.

Being first in the phone book is helpful when you are starting up.

machine is offline   Reply With Quote