Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
lenzcrafter

Default Backlinks???

Now i have a new website, but i am now in need of everyones help. I want to increase my backlinks....do i have to pay money to a driving school directory to get a paid advert or can i just add my site to the directory in the "free" manor?? will this still get me quality backlinks?? or do you advise i pay to get a paid advert?
Hope this makes sense.
Regards
Matt

Old 31st August 2008, 06:52 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

In general, free directories, particularly those that will list anyone who asks, are not quality links.

Why do you want these links? If it's to increase your search engine ranking, you should be aware Google doesn't like links that are purchased for the purpose of trying to increase the page's rankings in the search results. While they aren't able to detect 100% of paid-for links, when they do find them, they will prevent the links from passing link popularity. This won't hurt your site -- but it will mean the links stop sending you benefit, meaning you'll be paying for nothing.

Have you checked this thread in our link building forum? It links to a lot of great articles and information on techniques for building valuable links.

--Torka

Old 1st September 2008, 01:23 AM   #3
bonciutoma

Send a message via Yahoo to bonciutoma Send a message via Skype™ to bonciutoma

Hi,

I have to agree that backlinks created by the use of web directoryes are not that good. Search engines call it "link farms". There is a rule in search engines : the text it self that contains the link also has to be relevant to the page it links and that is unlikely to happen in a web directory.

I think that you better concentrate on creating content worth linking to, rather then to force this to happen. This is very very important because relevant traffic is much more important then forced traffic (this means that low quality traffic from people that really need the informations on your web site or blog it's better then high useless traffic from people that got there by mistake or by searching for something else)

I hope that this helped.

bonciutoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 02:41 PM   #4
janus

The secret in getting many back links is great content. If you have a great content, people will recommend your site, make it as a resource and it is building a natural back links.

janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 04:50 PM   #5
T.I.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by janus View Post
The secret in getting many back links is great content. If you have a great content, people will recommend your site, make it as a resource and it is building a natural back links.
Co-Signed.

T.I.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 09:30 AM   #6
spencer

It's better to get just a few quality links versus getting lots of low quality ones.

spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 07:37 AM   #7
ilexx

Talking You can get quality backlinks from various resources.

So you want backlinks and you want some quality backlinks?

It isn't that hard to generate quality backlinks. Firstly, as somebody else said it is important to have great content. Alot of quality content is important and you need to ensure that you are trying to get indexed for in-demand keywords.

Search engine optimization has its tricks but you want to understand how it works. People go to search engines and search for information and based on the keywords they are searching for, the search engines determine which websites are the most relevant for those keywords. So it is only logical to find out what people are searching for a lot and try to build a link campaign for the most searched keywords in your niche.

So if you have a website about health you want to do the keyword research to find the most search terms related to health, exercise, working out, diet and nutrition and all the health related terms. When you find the most search keywords, you want to make a note of the real quality keywords, keywords that are high in demand and low in supply. Find keywords that are searched for alot but the competition for those keywords isn't heavy. So you also want to check Google for the keywords you see that are searched alot and you want to evaluate the top 10 websites that come up for all those search terms and determine if you think you can compete with them. When you are done your research I would say that you should have 5 main keywords that are great and about 25 keyword phrases that are also great.

When going and searching for backlinks you want to use these keywords to your advantage. In all your anchor texts in signature files, articles and in web directories you want to be using these same keywords, that is why you always want to have access to your list of keywords. Use the exact search terms as your anchor text and you want to get as many backlinks as possible with those keywords.

A great resource for building quality relevant one-way links is article marketing. Write as many articles on topics relating to your website with the very same keywords that you found to be in-demand keywords. When publishing these articles you are also allowed to leave your url link in your author resource box at the end of every article you publish. You get a chance to leave your anchor text with your in-demand keyword and get a quality backlink. For a bonus when other people re-publish your article they have to re-publish your author resource box aswell those giving you a backlink everytime that this is done. It really is a powerful way to generate quality relevant backlinks.

To Your Success!

ilexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Laurus Nobilis

I agree that is important to have a lot of backlinks from relevant sites to your page. But not just to your front page, but also to other pages in your site, in order to create depth of backlinks.

Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2008, 09:56 PM   #9
towholesale

Google doesn't like the paid links.

towholesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2008, 06:34 AM   #10
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Your website is not even indexed in google. You can check by entering site:yourdomainname in google. I can exchange links with you, PM me if you are interested.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote