Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Domain Names
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th December 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Beebop

Default Is .info Inferior?

I know my question is a bit weird. I want to buy several domains and noticed that .info domains are priced so cheaply. Do you guys know the reason why?

Beebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th December 2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

.com domains are more in demand I'd think mainly because they're easier to pass on, easier to remember, and generally the "default" people would go to.

I'm sure there is research on this somewhere ... you might want to google it

Quickly found this Sitepoint article in which they talk about choosing domains that might help: http://articles.sitepoint.com/articl...g-domain-name#

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 11:23 AM   #3
dpdumas642

I agree with Karri .com are definitely are more in demand. But that should tell you something. I personally would go with .com for that reason even if they are more expensive.

dpdumas642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Michael Henry

Only .com's have the pedigree . However, other domains are at the mercy of just one major corporate endorsement. For example, if Apple decided to stop supporting the .com version of it's site and only develop the .me version – instantly .me's will be snapped up all over the world. So when in doubt buy them all, just in case. (By the way, Apple is not a real risk taking company so my scenario is a looong shot.)

Michael Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 10:35 PM   #5
websonalized

When the next registration year comes around, you'll still have to pay around what a .com goes for. Keep this in mind

also, I think .info may give the impression that you are an information provider only, as if giving official information on something. This interpretation could be on your favor, you decide

websonalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 11:48 PM   #6
JeffG3209

Quote:
Is .info Inferior?
Someone is probably going to get upset, but in a nutshell yes. It depends on what you are going to use the website for. E-commerce, I would absolutely not do that. If you are a local realtor, I don't think it matters at all. Zip Zero!

A ".com" is the top of the food chain. If you don't believe me, just search the internet for a few of the things in your pantry, your hygiene products, or even your local dealerships.

There is nothing wrong with using a "-" like dj-equipment.com. Be creative. I would not use the business structure LLC in your domain name, as it too has an inferior stigma to it. (I know plenty of Fortune Companies use LLC, but so does Joe the shade tree mechanic!). ABC-Inc, and ABC-LP would be fine.

Two cents.

I consider a domain as a foundation to a businesses name.

JeffG3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 10:57 AM   #7
DrEfficiency

I agree with everyone's statements.
.info is cheap because nobody wants them!

I would put your thinking cap on and go for a .com

I foolishly bought a whole bunch of .co when they first got released. I have done nothing with them.

The average person that visits your site only understands things they see regularly on tv etc...and you rarely hear a .info advertised.

DrEfficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Art Vanderbie

.coms are simply the way to go. They are seen as the most legit sites. If you truly are a not for profit a .org would be fine, but I'd ONLY buy the .com if I were you.

AV

Art Vanderbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 04:55 PM   #9
galoor

The fact is - .info's are used by spammers because they are cheap and cost-effective for spammers.

The trust and credibility has been lost and I truly believe that Google has devalued them over the years.

A .com gives you the trust you need, with a .net being second, .org being third. After that, it should be .me, .co, etc. -- but .info's are throw away domains.

Old 22nd June 2012, 01:09 AM   #10
harryt

I have a hosting account where the "anchor" domain is .info. I have sites which are .com and .biz. However is you look at the source code which the spiders will see you will see something like. mysite.harrysdomain.info. not mysite.com. (not real names so don't try to look at it). I have a site which are slowly building and has 1000+ unique visits a month. .com are populare, but I am wondering whether they are really that important. Just a though as I am still a bit superstitious about not using a good domain like .com or .org etc.

Last edited by harryt; 22nd June 2012 at 01:12 AM.
harryt is offline   Reply With Quote