Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd October 2009, 01:41 PM   #1
livingartistry

Default Is My Url Too Long For Google?

Hi, I have been really interested in starting an online business especially since I'm graduating this year from school, and I'nm getting stressed about the economy and job searching. Anyways, I just built my site, and I've been trying to submit the Url to google, but I have not heard anything back, and I still can't google my site. Does any one have any helpful suggestions? I don't know if the url of my site is too long, if that woudl hurt my chances. The site is www.wholesaleauthenticmakeup.com. I don't know if there is something I can be doing to get my site listed in the directory, but any help would be great. Thanks.

livingartistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th October 2009, 01:14 AM   #2
cuceto

The url is not long. I have seen sites that have longer domain name and rank high.

cuceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 02:14 PM   #3
jonicode

I don't think so. But, if you could simplify it then why not? After all, as a consumer, we may deem long URLs as too long for comfort.

Interesting topic. Discuss...

jonicode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 02:19 AM   #4
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Just submitting sites in Google is not the end of all. You have to make sure that you are getting links from reputed sites and that you have added keywords in the meta title section which you have not.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 03:21 AM   #5
sahota

In addition to submit site to Google, you might be better off Social Bookmarking your website. I have seen that results in quicker indexing of your website as social networks are searched by Google everyday for new content. Infact many times a day.

So submit your website and content to places like digg, stumbpleupon, delicious, google bookmarks etc.

Other than this start building links to your website ...few everyday won't harm. Getting your website on first page of google requires patience. So just keep working till its there and then push it further.

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 06:23 AM   #6
DavidMort
VIP Contributor

I agree it's not too long, and deffinitely it won't do any harm. Quality and the quantity of backlinks will help you to promote your site

DavidMort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 02:22 PM   #7
livingartistry

Thank you all for the very helpful information. Quick question for you ACWebGuru...you said "...You have to make sure that you are getting links from reputed sites and that you have added keywords in the meta title section which you have not"... I am a new-bie to this whole process, but the meta title section...is that the same as meta tags and meta keywords? I actually just found a generator so I could plug all the meta info in html format into my site, so that is done. Was this what you were suggesting? I am trying to take all the tips and advice to heart and put it into action. Thanks again!

livingartistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Yao456

although your url is not too long for google, it is too long for people to hit these letters, it is not good for making your web popular.

Yao456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 08:18 AM   #9
MRchamps

Hey If you are a newbie i would suggest you that initially you just start reading basic about SEO or in other words how to optimize your website. Firstly i should tell you that don't get afraid by the long domain name as domain name whether long or short can never affect your website performance. The only thing you have to start with is firstly get you vision clear and see which is you main targeted audience and then start working your website to reach your targeted audience.

Old 15th November 2009, 07:26 AM   #10
AirForce1

Send a message via MSN to AirForce1

Right, I think domain name should not only be friendly to search engines but also be easy to be remembered for visitors.

AirForce1 is offline   Reply With Quote