Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th August 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
ASpaventa

Default Directories: Is It Bad To Submit To All?

I know it's probably not the best use of time and pretty close to impossible, but are there any cons to submitting your site to copious amounts or directories? I'm not talking about at once, but over time.

I'm stuck between just submitting to directories above a certain PR, or submitting to a mix of all. On the one hand, PR is a good indication of value but then I don't want to overlook some good up-and-comers based on PR. Which brings me to simply doing a blanket submissions to cover all areas. But, once again, are there cons to this?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th August 2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I'd use quality as my first indicator/factor. Be selective, and the more topic related the better. The issue with submitting your site to a gazillion directories that you are not familiar with their quality/direction is that they could be 'bad neighborhoods'. The way I look at it is that can provide a 'signal' to the search engines regarding a site's quality if when weighted against other links going to the site it is heavily linked to from many bad neighborhood type sites.

The prevailing theory for some time has been that something anyone can do (whether the site owner or not) should not 'hurt' a sites ranking. As anyone could intentionally damage someone elses rankings. At the same time, I tend to look at it from the standpoint even if the link is there, on a page included within google that has PR and is on topic .... doesn't necessarily mean it is 'quality' and passing pagerank. I have seen pages with pagerank that I'm sure don't pass pagerank. Gauge quality based researching a site's/page's backlinks by using the yahoo linkdomain:ww.example.com search. Are quality sites linking to the directory in question.

I wouldn't just focus on directories, how else can you spend some time also developing improving the number of links coming to your site by other methods/tactics as well. Blogging, social sites, videos, tutorials, articles, etc.

Old 28th August 2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
But, once again, are there cons to this?
The biggest con I can think of would be timing related. You'd get a lot of similiar/type links showing up all at one time which might not help you. Depending on how many directories you're talking about I'd spread them out over an extended period, say 4 to 6 months and implement a couple other linking methods while you're doing it.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Fred333

My two sense would be to develop the some social outlets and and then get involved with forums to promote your site.

Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 05:55 PM   #5
bob123

As to the links from a bad neighborhood issue. Time and time again I get linked to by spam blogs. I can't control where these links come from. So I would be amazed if google actually drops your ranking based on who links to you. In my opinion it's a myth. Sure I could go around and so don't link to me because you're from a bad neighborhood but I don't think it'd work.

bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 11:23 AM   #6
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

I think there is a con to this... but it's subtle. If you're spending time on something of limited or inconsequential value, that means almost by definition you're not spending time on something else... that something else (hopefully) could be much more valuable.

I know this sounds like a non-comment. But upon reflection, I realize I spent the summer involved in a bunch of low-value link-building. I literally added a thousand links or more to my sites. I saw basically no effect... And it now dawns on me, dude, you should have spent your time doing stuff like getting additional value from your existing traffic, etc.

Old 2nd October 2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

Good point, Seattle CPA. I'd say go for quality rather than quantity.

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 09:15 PM   #8
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Yeah, that's what I now think... though I find it really easy to be link count centric. It's just so darn measurable...

Old 3rd October 2007, 02:32 PM   #9
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
I'd say go for quality rather than quantity.
In the case of submitting to directories, I think it's more important to see if the page your link will sit on is indexed in G, Y and MSN above all else. You won't find that many "quality" pages inside of directories and besides, the issue with this tactic is less about "quality" or "relevance" than getting spidered and adding to your backlink count.

I mean, let's call a spade a spade here.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 05:46 PM   #10
ASpaventa

So how do you know if a SE will index your page?