Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th February 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
lunartcorp

Default SEO In Google Maps/Local Business Center

Hi,

I got some information from this other thread in this forum How to rank well in Google Maps (local) , but this is something discussed almost two years ago.

I just listed my business on the Business Center and I see it shows very far on the list, which contains some other business located farther than my listing from the search point. It seems the address is not enough and should there be something else to make my listing to get first positions.

Google Map Results are shown when a Location is included in the search (example: "Clothing Miramar Florida") What are the factors that may make my listing to get better positions on Google Maps when doing a search in Google?.

I am wondering if there have been any changes sine then in how to rank well.

Sometimes I think it could be :

- Keyword density in the description of the listing.
- Number of reviews
- Visits made from Google Maps

Old 5th March 2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

I think local search is a bit easier to listed with. I listed a couple of companies with Local google and they come up with the keywords (i.e. web hosting, toll free number, domain registration). Of course, I don't think that many people will be searching locally for these - but you never know.

Old 10th April 2008, 05:20 PM   #3
roof cleaning

I still have not figured out the Google Maps.
We live near a major market.
If you are honest, and list where you really are, you just screw yourself out of the market you want to serve.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2008, 09:15 PM   #4
RayGoneFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roof cleaning View Post
We live near a major market.
If you are honest, and list where you really are, you just screw yourself out of the market you want to serve.
How's that? I mean, what's the alternative to listing where you really are? If your business has a physical location somewhere - and why else would you want to appear on a map? - you can hardly be listed somewhere else where you are not. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2008, 04:35 AM   #5
refract

Hi : I own an audio and lighting design company in Northern California and we do pretty well with the map thing. It works off of keywords as well as geography SEO. If you live in Anytown USA and have a landscape business submit yourself to local guide. It works. Each town is beginning to have something. I can't explain it but it picks up those sites more than any other we are linked to. My business is in Oakland CA. but I am also listed in Emeryville CA. for theater lighting or what not and the maps show us as a top listing if not 'the' top. Emeryville is only a few miles away. Geography and Keywords!

refract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Softix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGoneFishing View Post
How's that? I mean, what's the alternative to listing where you really are? If your business has a physical location somewhere - and why else would you want to appear on a map? - you can hardly be listed somewhere else where you are not. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you...

Argeed then someone might think you are closer to them and not want to drive 20 extra miles and the person that lives down the street thinks your 30 mins away and goes elsewhere should like your in a pickle

Softix is offline   Reply With Quote