Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th July 2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Roddick

Default Small Business Marketing Ideas

What's your best marketing tactic, and why did it work for you?

Mine has been strategic alliances. It has worked best for me because what I offer is a bit different, and the clients I work with would rather get a recommendation than anything else.

What about you?

Roddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th July 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

search engine optimization

I think it works well because people are seeking out what i'm offering at the time.

Old 19th July 2009, 05:05 AM   #3
veronica

Search engine optimization, pay per click ads, and blogging

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 10:22 PM   #4
smallbizmkter

One of the things I recommend to business owners is to include lead generating tools on their websites. To give an example - many websites only give the visitor the option of either calling or emailing the company. Unless the prospect is ready to buy right then and there, they will probably browse the website and then leave - you, the business owner, has no idea whether this was a potential client or someone just browsing.

I have had excellent success in adding elements to websites that offer things of value to prospects that they can download by providing name/email. That way, the business owner has a record of the visitor and can then take control of the marketing process through use of an autoresponder.

A recent client of mine now receives 5 x the leads through his website because we introduced a downloadable coupon to his site.

Other ideas are free reports, guides, coupons or videos.

smallbizmkter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
birthmarked

Send a message via Yahoo to birthmarked
Default Marketing Tactics

I don't know if it's really a tactic, but most of my businesses comes from word of mouth and relationships that I develop. I find that keeping in touch with existing clients keeps me top of mind - but I don't do that just for marketing purposes - being genuine helps.

Strategic partnerships have been great. As a designer who specializes in branding for small businesses, I think it helps to form relationships with smaller web development firms, IT firms, SEO, and marketing people. They often have clients who need web design, or brand identity work, and then end up calling me, so it works out perfectly.

birthmarked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 06:53 AM   #6
michael123

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica View Post
Search engine optimization, pay per click ads, and blogging
Yes I am agree with veronica...

michael123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 09:12 AM   #7
phanio
VIP Contributor

Sounds like you need a marketing plan. There are free services like SBDC or SCORE that can help you develop a marketing plan that is specific to your business and your target customers.

The best thing that you can do is understand your customers - then provide them what they need and want. That is marketing.

Then, for advertising - if you knwo your customers - you will understand how to get in front of them.

Laslty, make sure your sales processes are in place. If your marketing works and drives people to your business but they leave without buying - then your sales process may be flawed.

Old 13th August 2009, 09:37 AM   #8
BWelford

I think there are two somewhat drudgey areas you really cannot overlook.

The first is really an aspect of SEO. Make sure by whatever means that your website is performing as it should with no operating glitches. Do a Xenu check for a start to spot whether spiders can get to all pages and not find broken links, etc. Use Google Webmaster Tools (having verified your website) for whatever Google is finding a problem with. Done right this will be a big source of visitor traffic so clean out any problems.

The other aspect is to make sure your business is visible in Local Search. Check out appropriate directories to register with and register with the Google Local Business Center. Being visible here also contributes to your rankings in the regular Web search so it's high reward effort.

Old 14th September 2009, 06:46 AM   #9
Label Printing

Internet marketing is best for small business marketing.

Label Printing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 04:02 AM   #10
small business

I agree with label printing. for small business marketing, SEO and web marketing is really important to be seen by your customers.

small business is offline   Reply With Quote