Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th August 2012, 04:50 AM   #1
gabfer

Question What You Think About This Business Idea?

About week ago my friend send me this video. It´s called Bodyzorbing and it has come from Slovak republic (post-soviet area). Immediately I saw business oportunity. I was thinking about buying few (4 or 8) of them and run small business. The idea is to rent them for any Events, promo, b-day party, openings, teambuildings, barbecue or run them as pay per go ride in any mall or sport center. Problem is that they are pretty expencive. Large one cost about 500$. What do you think could it be profitable?

Here is the video: http://vimeo.com/37423378

Thank you very much

gabfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Quick admin note: Typically we remove links from members with low post counts because they are usually self-promotion in disguise. Not intending offense but wanted to point that out to other new members wondering why this link was allowed.

With that said, I watched the video and it looks like a whole lot of fun. I could see people renting these for youth groups, kids' parties, etc.

But, have you searched for a more affordable alternative? I understand there are costs involved in production, shipping, etc. and from that perspective $500 each doesn't seem outrageous. Just looking at it from a new business perspective and it's always a good idea to look for competing products.

Also, take a look at other products in the same category that people would rent and research what they charge for rentals, look for customer feedback, etc. An example would be the inflatable sumo wrestling suits that can be rented. I know nothing about this company, but here is a link to one simply as an example:

http://www.sumonationwide.com/

They charge $249 a day which includes two suits, helmets, etc. At a comparable rate, it wouldn't take many rentals to cover the $500 per suit cost.

Old 14th August 2012, 04:06 PM   #3
deniseoberry

Send a message via Skype™ to deniseoberry

Looks like a cute idea for the right target market. That said, before you dive in you need to do at least a preliminary business plan to enable success and prove out your concept and numbers.

deniseoberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 09:20 PM   #4
WebEminence

Interesting...Looks pretty fun and safe but I wonder if people ever injure their legs or feet. At the end of the video, there's a link to some guys playing soccer with those things. Pretty funny and looks a bit more dangerous. I'm sure some of them got hurt or at least got some turf burns.

I think whether or not you could get them rented is more important then the $500 cost. I wonder how often they break.

Old 15th August 2012, 07:39 AM   #5
gabfer

Yes i saw that video. Football with these bubbles looks realy crazy ! I was mailing with this company 'funway' about injuries and safety matters. They sent me this statement. As you said there are some burns and legs injuries. On the other hand i think that bouncy castle for example is about same dangerous. The last thing i struggle is strength of materials. They said that they have some special TPU material but will it last? (eg. asphalt) I think i am going to search little bit more info.

/STATEMENT/

Field Testing
Bodyzorbs have been used for over 2 years all over the world in holiday parks, schools etc in and out of Bodyzorb arenas with no reports of serious injuries or accidents
Insurers insure this proven safe activity
Estimated Accidents Per 1000 Participants
10-20 (Minor) Grazed knees, slightly hurt feet/ankles (not even sprains)
1-5 (More Serious) Sprained ankle, broken finger or similar (no reports to date), spectator getting
knocked over
The Estimate is based on conversations with the following operators
(All from different companies)
Conversations 27/01/2010 revealed that there have been no serious accidents
Angus Lancaster: Bodyzorbing
A girl was knocked over when she tried running around the moving Bodyzorbs (she was not in a Bodyzorb).
She was fine, no accident report or complaint followed)
Paul Robinson: Easy Tropicals
(Some grazed knees when used on tennis court, without knee pads)
Henrietta Reeve: TheZorbzone
(None to report)
James Taylor: Climb Vertigo
(1 girl panicked and slightly scuffed herself when trying to get out of the Zorb, no injury, a bit like a rope burn
but not as serious)
Mike Greasley: Events Operator – 07057623049
1 or 2 people hurting ankles slightly but no more than with football/general play
Estimates also based on our own operations including those at….
Bourne Leisure Haggerston Castle
Bourne Leisure Craig Tara
Bourne Leisure Goldensands
Bourne Leisure Thorpe Park
Park Resorts Sunnydale
Pontins: Brean Sands
Day in the Country - Corporate Events
Many Private Functions Events Manager
Some Other Customers that have Bodyzorbs in the UK
Ref1 ref2 Name
#8884 PARK02 Park Community School
#8879 RADC01 The Radcliffe School