Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th December 2004, 08:35 PM   #1
Richey

Default Site redesign

I've been toying around with making some color changes and adding different background layouts. Please take a look and give me a consumer's prospective. Too many different colors, not enough color, text size, banner (yes/no), etc. Soooooooooo here is the page: Aliante Las Vegas. The format will be applied to all of the pages, so please give me your honest opinion and advice, likes, dislikes, etc. The site itself does have a nav bar frame that I'm trying to keep out. To view it with the frame, take off the no frame tag and it will pop in. Thanks!

Richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th December 2004, 10:47 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

You have the right mouse click disabled which I really don't like because I think it stops a visitor from doing some very natural things. For example, if I wanted to copy and paste the list of amenities into an email to someone I would not be able to.

Speaking of the list of amenities... will something be placed to the right of that list? I kept thinking something wasn't showing up that was supposed to.

In the "Aliante Homes by Builder" table, I find the information (sq footage, etc, etc) difficult to read because of the background and font size.

Next, the list under "As a home buyer, my services to you are free"... I find the multiple-colored fonts and multi-colored background to be too much of a contrast from the rest of the site.

My brother-in-law was sitting next to me and made the comment that he does not like legal disclaimers to be so obscured by the similar font color and background color. He said that it makes it seem like you are trying to hide something. I tend to agree because the first thing I did was look at the text thinking it may be a huge list of repeating keywords (which of course it wasn't).

Just create a separate area at the bottom with the same background color and text as the rest of the page. People will be able to quickly see it as a disclaimer and skip it if they so desire.

These are just my opinions but they may spark some ideas and other feedback. Overall you are doing a great job.

Old 29th December 2004, 02:05 PM   #3
moraviaspy

Send a message via AIM to moraviaspy Send a message via Skype™ to moraviaspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
You have the right mouse click disabled which I really don't like because I think it stops a visitor from doing some very natural things. For example, if I wanted to copy and paste the list of amenities into an email to someone I would not be able to.
I visited the site today 12/29 and was able to right click.
FYI you can still select and copy text from a page that has disabled the right click by using the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+C

Other comments. I don't care for justified text that leaves gaping rivers of white space in the paragraphs. I would also seek to eliminate the borders on the subtables. Likewise my eye likes to see some space between the border and the text. Using cellpadding would improve the visual effect.

Last, I would stick with one font face. The mix between the serif and non serif styles is not appealing to me either. And I have to ditto Robert on the disclaimer comments.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

Old 30th December 2004, 02:04 AM   #4
mapbooks4u
VIP Contributor

Hi! I like the feel you are aiming for but found the alignment of your pictures, tables, and text awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraviaspy
Other comments. I don't care for justified text that leaves gaping rivers of white space in the paragraphs. I would also seek to eliminate the borders on the subtables. Likewise my eye likes to see some space between the border and the text. Using cellpadding would improve the visual effect.

Last, I would stick with one font face. The mix between the serif and non serif styles is not appealing to me either. And I have to ditto Robert on the disclaimer comments.
I agree with moraviaspy on these points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
I find the multiple-colored fonts and multi-colored background to be too much of a contrast from the rest of the site.
Ditto to Robert comment.

In my opinion, the images you have would have a richer feel if you blended the color to the edges rather than showing a white border. My parents live in North Las Vegas and I believe your site will really show off that community beautifully when you are finished.

Old 19th March 2005, 04:38 PM   #5
! !

Lightbulb

The Navy Blue background does not appear to harmonize with the very subtile Tan Background images on the tables

A background image could have been used to further add Impact to the Selling Point and allure of the site

The san-serif fonts - seems to be too sterile for the type of image that could be portrayed to give the site more impact

There is a VERY BEAUTIFUL image on the site - that could REALLY be expanded and made less pixaleted

! ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 07:53 PM   #6
Jamison

I don't like it. Seems too "broken" for me. There isn't a clean consistent feel. I think there is too much going on, and if you modified your layout, you may create a cleaner look and feel and a more user-friendly site b/c the visitor will know where to find "relevant" information without scrolling all the way down the page.

There are too many colors, too many patterns, and too much "stuff" just thrown together.

I don't mean to bash it, I just wanted to provide my humble and honest opinion from my first impression.

I know most web designers will give you a full blown critique of your site for an hourly fee (usually VERY affordable)... and if interested will provide you with a new design (and sometimes you can save money b/c you already have a website, kind of like an upgrade program).

Jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2005, 11:50 PM   #7
sarahk

Send a message via ICQ to sarahk Send a message via AIM to sarahk Send a message via Yahoo to sarahk

I'm with Jamison - I'd like to see more pages - with less on them. The list of amenities should be hyperlinks to more info about them.

And that email address should be obfuscated to help prevent harvesting.

Sarah

sarahk is offline   Reply With Quote