Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th August 2007, 09:35 PM   #11
SC93

Hi Kelly,
I'd have to disagree with what you said. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what people are posting but what you said is not a very good way to look at it.

If Joe took out an ad in the newspaper for cleaning windows then Bob saw Joe's ad and thought well, it must be working for Joe or else he wouldn't have ran the ad. Then Sue see's Joe & Bob's ad for window cleaning and says to herself...hey, if Joe & Bob are doing it then it MUST work so she places her ad. You know the only problem with this...neither Joe nor Bob nor Sue ever got 1 single call for window cleaning. Now, Bob & Sue are wondering what they are doing wrong cuz Joe must be getting all the work but guess what...Joe is thinking...what am I doing wrong cuz Bob & Sue must be getting all the work.

The moral of the story....don't follow the leader because the leader doesn't always know where he's headed or where he's been.

SC93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th October 2007, 12:04 AM   #12
3genconsulting

Default taxes

These have all been valid points. It may work, and it may not work, but the real issue here is the fact that if you have advertising on your vehicle a much larger portion of your car expense is tax deductible. This is guaranteed ROI on your investment. Depending on the state you live in you can write off most of the gas/car payment/insurance expenses because while you drive you are actively advertising. Everyone should advertise their business on their vehicle...and the exposure is pretty nice too

3genconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 05:14 PM   #13
Savannah Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
Yes sir.....I agree with Pete.

Magnetic car signs are, well, uhhhhhhh shall we say ho-hum. The immediate family and close friends might like it, buit I don't thinks it's as powerful as people hope it would be.

What's hot is car wraps or wrapping your car with your logo and info.

Now those grab my attention. Just like Pete says!!

-
These may look sensational but for value for dollar, these fade very quicky, (around 2 years) and then they strat looking old and not as effective. The best way to go is computer cut vinyl. (upto 10 years without fading)

Savannah Signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 02:48 PM   #14
spencer

I used to advertise on my car, but I don't do it anymore.

spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Arctic Fox

I've got my website URL on the top part of my rear window of my vehicle - get a couple visits per month from that.

Arctic Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 06:02 PM   #16
DBeavers

Default Car advertising

If I was in the business of selling retail, I might consider it.

But, as a promotional advertising consultant, selling primarily to business and industry, I have never put any advertising on my vehicle. In my market, I might as well phone all my competitors and let them know who I'll be calling on that day.

I pick up new clients almost every month, but through networking and great customer referrals. I'll let my competitors get the leads from people seeing their ad on their vehicle.

I even quit paying for yellow page advertising, because -

A) My customers already know how to reach me, with several self-promotion items that I have given them with all my contact info

B) Most of the calls I got were for people need one umbrellas or shirt imprinted, or wanting 50 imprinted pencils to hand out the next day. Those are not my target customers.

C) If they can't find me any other way, most business people know I'm in the local Chamber of Commerce, so they can find me in the chamber directory, the chamber website, or just take the time to look for my website.

On the other hand, when my folks were buying and selling antiques, three of those magnetic signs on their vehicle helped them find a number of ready sellers.

To each his own.

Dennis

Old 30th December 2008, 08:49 PM   #17
james_363

In my opinion putting advertising on your car is just another form of branding. It is expensive, and you will become broke before you make any real money.
It takes a long time to drive a marketing message into the average individual. Statistics say that the average person needs to see a message 5-7 times before they will act. That is if they need your service.
So I guess if you park your car out in front of somones house for long enough, they would see it 5-7 times.
Now all you need is to buy enough cars to put in front of enough people houses and you have yourself a marketing campaign. lol

Last edited by james_363; 30th December 2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes, all the time spelling mistakes
james_363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 11:58 PM   #18
johnpaint

It's just all part of doing business, it's all about name recognition.It really doesn't cost that much and it helps.I have gotten a few jobs from it, but you have to drive a little nicer, or people will call you up as you drive down the road and complain.One way it helped me was I forgot to put my gas cap on and a lady called me let me know.

johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 01:01 AM   #19
james_363

My problem with it is not that it is inexpensive, it is that it is completely untargeted. You should know exactly how much response you get from every add dollar you spend (ROI). Putting a sign on your car telling you to call me is just not effective for one, and not trackable for another.

Joint ventures are one way better way to get customers, and they can cost you nothing up front. Just find someone that has similar customers to you and get them to promote your business with their recomendation to their list. Make sure to give then a piece of the action though.

Old 31st December 2008, 01:06 AM   #20
james_363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namingly Kelly View Post

You can see advertising for the car companies all over the front, back, and inside of your car. The make and model are listed, even the license plate has the dealer's name on it! I don't even know if you can buy a vehicle without the car company's name on it. It must be working for the car companies.

Kelly
The reason it works for them Kelly is that they have spent millions and millions of dollars on advertising over many years. They have spent a very long time knocking their brand name into your head.

Do you have millions and millions of dollars to promote your company?