Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th February 2008, 05:32 PM   #11
maldon72

Send a message via Yahoo to maldon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by draym22 View Post
Hi guys new here first off let me say hi to all!!!

About me. My name is Dray im 22 and i live in the Tampa Bay area. Im planing on opening a Janitorial cleaning business due to my experience and the ppl around me.Im also takeing business classes. My question is besides local newspapers how can i attracket customers?

The two marketing ideas that came to mind were (cold calling)& (writeing out a business proposal and sending them out by means of direct mail) And how would any of you guys go about priceing the customer and staying ahead of the competition? I targeted my market down to offices,Doctor's ect...

Any thought and ideas are much appreciated. thanks Dray M.

P.S. How can I make a fair jugement to see if there is even room for another business like mine in the area besides the phone book?
Here is the most important part before you you go out there. Know what you got to offer. learn it in and out, terminology and all. learn the market. list all the different sections of the industry you want to enter, be happy and surly be profitable . You talk about pricing, there are a few ways to estimate and figure out your pricing, but most important is to put a value on your self and company. Stick with your price and don't let no other business take that away from you with there low rates. I am new to all this but studied a lot.
Don't give up. If you have any specific question just drop a line.

maldon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th February 2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

Great advice given here so far. Your inital ideas are good - cold calls and flyers will work best in my opinion, and nothing will be as cost effective. Make those calls, hit the streets, pass out flyers and business cards. You'll get lots of business that way. Good luck!

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 12:59 PM   #13
The Sign Bandit

Elbow grease will get you new clients... just like the actual work. Handing out cards, printing flyers on 20# bond, and going to door in the business community.

I'd stay away from telemarketing myself because that is very draining unless you outsource it and radio and TV advertising is pretty expensive.

The Sign Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Logan23324

I know I am new to this site, however I must disagree with flyers and cold calling doing you any good at all. The reason I can do this is because I own a janitorial service in Norfolk, Va and that is exactly how I started, it does not work. If you want business, ignore offices, they are already under contract by either the building owners or the city. Instead target property management (i.e. Realtors) I went the first 4 months without business when I tried your proposed targeting method, since I switched my target, my phone doesn't stop ringing. 2 years in and I no longer work, I pay people to do that.

Logan23324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 12:44 PM   #15
GreenerDaze

I'm going to throw out the "green" idea again...it's what I do

My wife used to work for an "environmentally friendly" cleaning service and it was doing really well. Unfortunately the owner wasn't very bright and they continuously had to turn away business because of staffing levels. People were actually willing to pay MORE for the service just because they wouldn't use harmful cleaning chemicals...it was all natural cleaners (sometimes it took a little more elbow grease).

Depending on your area and the eco-awareness of your potential clients, this could give you an edge over your competition and your costs wouldn't change much at all (if any). Just do your research...clients who are real "treehuggers" will call you on it if you're not being "green" in other aspects of your business as well (i.e. recycled paper for business cards, invoices, etc., showing up to clean in a huge gas guzzling SUV).

If you're the first one in your city/town, you may even be able to get the local newspaper to do a story on you after you're up and running.

GreenerDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2008, 06:44 PM   #16
Logan23324

The green idea is also really good, I know the owner of a "green" cleaning company here. She actually started her business the same time I started mine and with as much success as I have had, she has had triple. Her rates are high but in the last year she has went from doing the work herself to having 24 full time employees, she started by advertising strictly for free on Craigslist and had 30 customers her first week. I don't provide a green cleaning and she won't provide a non-green one so we send each other business from time to time.

Logan23324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 10:07 PM   #17
JREDWARDS1

Smile Hi all just joined

I'm loving all the advice so far, does anyone have any pricing advice?

JREDWARDS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 02:59 PM   #18
knudsoj1

First off, If your willing to work hard and put a customers needs first then there is always a need in your area. There will always be a saturation of cleaning businesses but being professional, customer focused, and competitive will separate you.

Heres a couple tips for you as far as sales goes.
-personal is key
-try to contact a lead at least 3 different ways. ie. in person, phone email, facebook, linkedin ect.
-don't take the first no. if you believe your the best than convince them.
-be original, think outside the box when you market.
-being the cheapest isn't best, being that lowest that can also offer a high level of service is the best.

good luck,
Jesse

knudsoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 04:51 PM   #19
TylerHutchinson

As far as if there is room for another service, there almost always will be. The thing you will want to do is develop a service and company that goes above and beyond what the current company does. Offer a little more services or price your services competitively. You can research your area by Googling, and asking people in your area.

As far as marketing I suggest creating a Linkedin account to find business owners in your area. You will want to create a very detailed business proposal with services, costs, history, and as you go get testimonials and add them to it as well. Also join local groups in your area, be part of the chamber of commerce, or post on local sites. You can even offer free first time cleaning to show how good your business is. I would not suggest cold calling. It really is a thing of the past. If anything find local businesses and email them your brochure.

Hope this helps. Feel free to send any questions my way and I can help you out.

Old 29th June 2011, 02:14 AM   #20
Sanity Check

I'm guessing you have already done some of this kind of work. The people you worked for are your existing customers. Contact them for suggestions on anyone they know who might need such services. Ask them to give you contact names. This is known as your "warm market". Warm market contacts are much, much easier to contact, because you can call them and say, "Hi, I'm Joe, and I provide janitorial services. One of my clients, Bill Smith, mentioned your name and thought you might have some interest in my services."

Now you've started a conversation with a prospective client. Do this 25 times, and you'll likely get a few people who express some interest. Develop your warm market by contacting them once every few weeks until you either get a firm "no" or they express more interest.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote