Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st September 2006, 09:09 AM   #1
aakpc_06

respected sir

i had question that :
Do the marketers really creates the needs?
reply me soon.

Thanking you sir,

aakpc_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st September 2006, 12:07 PM   #2
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I suppose it could, but I tend to think the need comes first. A good general way to start a business is to identify a need and then offer a solution to that need. Your marketing efforts would be getting the word out that you can solve that need and why you can do it better than anyone else.

Of course many businesses have started by identifying a need most of us didn't know we had and in a sense created that need.

Old 21st September 2006, 04:06 PM   #3
pete
VIP Contributor

Marketing creates the perception of needs.

How many times have you gone into a store and left with more than you intended to buy?

And didn't those free-standing displays and the end-caps at the ends of the ailses offer goods that suddenly you just had to have?

And you probably never even knew thy made ortable 4 foot diameter fans, let alone that you needed one, until you went into Costco or Sam's Club and saw them. The discount clubs would probably go out of business if people only bought what was on their shopping lists when they went in the doors.

These are just common, everyday examples, but the same is true throughout sales organizations. They create "need" where none exists.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 11:55 AM   #4
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Good points Pete. Marketing definitely does create the perception of a need and in so doing helps sell products and services.

I think if there is a true need that is already known it makes marketing that need easier since you don't need to convince potential buyers of the need itself. However you can certainly try to convince them of the need.

I think more often though, marketing taps into a need we are likely to have and then tries to convince us why a given product or service will fill that need.

Old 25th September 2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Alta

Send a message via MSN to Alta

hmmm I guess it would but id say marketing tells the person with the need where and how he can full fill it.

Alta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 02:29 AM   #6
LimCS

Yes and no. I'd suppose this is almost the same with the ever-lasting debate of economics, on whether supply creates demand ( aka, in your context, marketing create needs ) or the other way around.

LimCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 01:31 PM   #7
mkt_lad

Default Quick question

Greetings.

I was reading this topic and had a question, how can marketing come to create needs? i mean examples. Just wondering.

thanks for your time

mkt_lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 11:29 AM   #8
vangogh
VIP Contributor

mkt_lad I think marketing can create needs by associating something with another need you might have.

An example might be anything that tries to convince you you need something in order to find a mate. It's a basic human desire to attract a mate, but do you really need to smell a certain way or look a certain way to find that special someone.

Ok you may want to look and smell nice, but there are products that will convince you of the need to look and smell a very specific way in order to attract someone. Maybe they tell you if there's no hope unless you smell exactly like pineapple mango since all their beautiful models smell like pineapple mango and they're always attracting someone.

Tying a product into another basic need helps create a perceived need for that specific product. You might argue that they are using an already exising need, but I think they are in a sense creating a new need.

Old 17th November 2006, 02:20 PM   #9
JWDesignCenter

Send a message via MSN to JWDesignCenter

I responded to a similar debate on the other forum, but i'll go into it here too...

Marketing does not create a need.. it provides the solution to a need that was already present.. they just may not have known about it yet. For example....lets say you've been working all day, you're tired, you skipped lunch but you're not hungry... you come home, sit down and put your feet up and turn on the tube. A commercial comes on... mmm you're indundated with pictures of fresh ingredients, combined with a low cost, served at a fast pace...suddenly you're hungry. The commercial served as a reminder to a need you'd forgotten about. There are tons of other examples, but this one was quickest...marketing is about getting the info out there and solving their needs...

ok, i'm rambling now.. just wanted to ad my two cents.

Old 17th November 2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Dale King
VIP Contributor

"Effective" marketing creates DESIRE!

You may not necessarily NEED the product or service being offered, but if the marketing is effective enough - you will WANT the product or service being offered - and that's even more powerful!

Remember, most people make purchases based on emotion - and then justify that purchase with logic later on.

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 17th November 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote