Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th February 2010, 03:32 PM   #1
randyconway

Default Problem With A Competitor

Ok first off my name is Randy I have a coin store. We are located in a small shopping center. The center is spread out over a city block. The center has 3 different owners. We rent our store front from one of the owners. A few hundred yards away and around the corner there is another coin shop. He rents form a different property owner. Now the problem is he sends a guy over in front of our shop with a sign pointing to go to his shop. I want him to go away, I spent a lot on advertizing and he leaches off me by stealing my customers. What can I do to get rid of the sign guy? Within the law that is. ???

randyconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th February 2010, 07:13 PM   #2
TheBusinessGuy

have you contacted your landlord? I am sure that should be illegal for another tenant to come and do that. Now if that doesn't work, then do what he's doing, get a guy to go over to his store and hold a sign pointing to your shop.

TheBusinessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

I agree, contact your landlord. Although the other tenant may rent from someone else, your landlord should be able to help you.

It reminds me of a commercial I saw recently. It showed a successful barber shop. Then a scene where across the street a $6 barber shop opens. It then goes to a scene with the old shop covered in signs that say "We fix $6 haircuts". The final scene is of the new place going out of business.

If all else fails, put someone out there right next to this guy with a bigger sign .... plus someone at the front of his entrance. But, I'd avoid getting into dueling signs. Work it out with your landlord, I would think they would be interested in keeping your business going strong.

Keep us posted how things go with this. Welcome aboard

Old 6th February 2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

I'd like to add that your competitor sounds like a real jerk.

Just my unhelpful 2 cents.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 01:23 AM   #5
repwatches

Randy its your competitors right to do this, he can advertise about his store any where he wants to. But when we look at the society it is out of manners. If you want to stop him doing this you simply hire a boy, pointing to you infront of his store. A simple solution.

repwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 11:27 PM   #6
icondosmanila

There's no law regarding that, but there's nothing you can do but to do the same. Though it's an unfair competition, if he's doing it to you unfairly, then do the same but much unfairly too. Your competitor is such a clever. I don't know but that's the best way you can fight back. But first, consult your landlord, as we all agreed on, and tell him about this. So he can talk with the other owner about this.

icondosmanila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 06:51 AM   #7
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Your competitor is really a jerk to do that, but there's not much thing you or your landlord can do as his guy is standing in a public place. You probably can do the same to him, and if he is unhappy about it, you can propose a truce.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Well, if it were me I would stuff the law and remember the old saying "if you can´t beat em, join em!"

In my Nuttyness I would be outside their shop like @Logan said, with a bigger sign and a better one, what is good for the gander if good for geese

Contacting your landlord would help you determine the laws if you prefer to go down that route - me - I would play them at their own game

Old 11th February 2010, 08:12 PM   #9
FBCondos

It was very unethical to do such thing. All you can do is negotiate with him peacefully because it's how the competition goes around in this world. You should explain to him over and over again that you are paying your space and what he was doing is called unfair competition. Do anything to take him off of your store front in the rightful way because it's also your right.

FBCondos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 11:39 PM   #10
naturalbeauty

your competitor likes unhealthy competition.
just do the same or make a better revenge.

naturalbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote