Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th June 2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Sanity Check

Default Content Is King, So Crown 'Em!

Search engine marketing is all about four things: (1) creating lots of good content, (2) getting good links to that content, (3) having a clear-cut way for people visiting your site to easily and quickly take the action you want them to take, and (4) giving them a really good motivation to take that action now rather than later.

That's search engine marketing in nutshell. In this post, I'm going to focus on the first point: creating content.

When people create their content for their websites, one thing they forget about is to divide and sub-divide their content in to the smallest concepts, then write about each one in as much detail as possible. It's challenging, but it can be done.

For example, consider a site about toothpicks. I know, it's a weird topic, and extremely limited (not to mention dull), but I think it's illustrative.

If I wanted to market toothpicks (after I had my head examined!) I would come up with a list of all the main categories about toothpicks I could think of:

toothpick materials: wood, plastic
toothpick colors: green, red, blue, yellow, orange, white, natural
toothpick etiquette: when to use one, when not to
toothpick availability: where to buy, what costs to expect to pay, what to look for in a toothpick
toothpick uses: baking and cooking, after eating, food sculptures, toothpicks as lego logs, pick-up sticks game

etc., etc.

Now that I've got all of the above, I would turn each attribute into an article. So, wood toothpicks would get an article, plastic toothpicks would get an article, and there might even be a third article comparing wood toothpicks to plastic toothpicks. Then, I'd write separate articles about red toothpicks, green toothpicks, yellow toothpicks, etc.

Isn't that overkill? Yes, in one sense it is. But if you get creative as you write each one, it can also be entertaining, and that makes it good content!

Contrast the above with someone who creates a typical website about toothpicks. They're selling toothpicks, so they list my outline above on the home page, and they think they're done! Then, they list their phone number on the page and wait for the phone calls to roll in...or something equivalent.

That's a losing approach. Not only have you created only one page of content, but you've effectively ended the conversation about toothpicks before your visitor has even gotten there!

It may seem to be impossible to write lots of content, but it can be done. You just have to buckle down and do it.

You might wonder, how can I make a different article about a green toothpick that's unique from an article about a red toothpick? Get creative! Discuss how green toothpicks are great for representing environmental issues. Talk about using red toothpicks taped onto notes on the refrigerator door to indicate that they're particularly important and need to be noticed first. Things like that.

If you can conceive of writing all these minutiae articles (even if they're only 3-4 short paragraphs) for something as trivial as toothpicks, surely you can break your own topic down and write a ton about it!

You don't have to add all this content at once. Do it over time. And as you're adding it, make sure that you're making it all easy to find via your website's link structure.

Wherever possible, write about your keywords, giving each one its own individual article. If you haven't developed a list of at least 50-100 keywords about your product or service...not just the top 3-5 that you hope to make money off, but rather a large list, then you've short-changed yourself. A great way to develop a list of keywords, if your imagination is coming up short, is to open an Adwords account and to use the Keyword Tool in Adwords to generate possible keywords to choose from.

For instance, when I open my Adwords account and search on the word "toothpick", here are some of the keyword alternatives Google gives me:

toothpick
toothpick bridge
toothpick bridges
toothpick puzzles
fancy toothpicks
decorative toothpicks
metal toothpicks
toothpicks
toothpick holder
plastic toothpicks
toothpick dispenser
toothpick fish
pocket toothpick
gold toothpicks
tooth pick
toothpick bridge plans
toothpick bridge blueprints
gold toothpick
toothpick art
toothpick bridge design

In fact, Google Adwords showed me 277 different variations on the word toothpick. Can you believe it? Better yet, each one of those keyword variations is something you could write about.

For instance, I found that I could add an option to my toothpick materials list above: metal toothpicks. Who'd have thought of that? Apparently, someone did, and they sold some. Weird, but true!

Think you could write about decorative toothpicks? Or fancy toothpicks? Or toothpick bridge blueprints? Sure you could! You have a whole Internet available to you via Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. Google 'em, and learn! Then write about what you learn.

In fact, if you use tools like Google Adwords to give you a different idea every day, you could write about toothpicks every day for the rest of this year and well into the next.

But what if you write about all of the topics on the Google list, all 277 keywords they gave you? First of all, congratulations. It means you've added nearly 300 pages to your website! But even if you're not sure what to do next to add content, that's simple too. Just take one of those keywords and do another Adwords Keyword Tool search on that keyword! You'll get even more keyword ideas to write about.

In short, no matter what your topic is, no matter what you are trying to sell online, there is PLENTY for you to write about.

You just have to sit down and write it... then add each new page to your website.

Sanity Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th June 2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Lucky Adam

Great buddy. these are tons of useful information as well as tips to boost up search process. The efforts worth appreciation concerning this nice post. Thanks

Lucky Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Sanity Check

Thanks, Lucky Adam! Forgive me for taking so long to reply. My new account is still being moderated, so I never know when my posts will appear.

Do you use any of the concepts I outlined above yourself?

Old 1st July 2011, 11:34 AM   #4
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Yes, search engine marketing is about having the person seeking you, find you on the engines. More and more people are using the web as a means to locate services; they don't want to pick up the yellow pages -- its not hip anymore.

One of the most important tricks, if there are any tricks, is getting people to see your name on the web over and over again. The web is full of impulse buying, take note!

I really enjoyed scanning your article, it was very informative. Yes, to content!

Old 1st July 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_one View Post
I really enjoyed scanning your article, it was very informative. Yes, to content!

Thank you!

Old 1st July 2011, 01:10 PM   #6
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Perfect! The ONLY problem I see... is that the article scared a lot of people. Didn't you know... just because you put a website up... you should be RICH!?!?

I totally agree. In 2004... I set up a webpage and store. Now, I did this using a regular old HTML editor (I know... sounds like a lot of work... and it was!) What's worse... is that I never got into CSS, so the coding is a little (shall we say) old. But that's not the point.

Pages were created pretty much the way you said. Now, the actual site was on an automotive system. So there were components, diagnosis issues, replacement issues and even testing. Above that, with almost 300 products, each product because a web page, right? EACH ONE was optimized with content about the product.

What kills me today is you see store front software where owners put in a 2 line description; the title of the page is the same across ALL the pages... and then they wonder why their site doesn't rank.

Well, since 2004, we stopped selling physical products (that's an entirely different story) but there are still between 300-400 pages of content.

So how does the site stand 7 years later? Well, I am pleased to report that it survived EVERY GOOGLE UPDATE there ever was. Depending on the actual search term used... it ranks between 1 and 5 on the first page. The site continues to sell very, very well with (today) over 1,500 uniques (and I have to tell you that it's a very, very narrow niche).

Go figure. I never worked on backlinks (they came from people reading my content and posting on countless bulletin boards). I didn't do any search engine submission... IT WAS ALL CONTENT... and REMAINS content.

Content is KING. Oh yeah... but it takes a little work. Duh!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 08:38 PM   #7
baresull

Thank you Sanity Check for a really good article. I was impressed that an item as mundane as toothpicks could illustrate so well how far I can go with my own articles.

Now to go and use the Adwords keyword tool (my imagination can use all the help it can get).

Also thanks to BeTheBest for pointing me to this thread.

baresull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
Perfect! The ONLY problem I see... is that the article scared a lot of people. Didn't you know... just because you put a website up... you should be RICH!?!?
LOL! Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baresull View Post
Thank you Sanity Check for a really good article. I was impressed that an item as mundane as toothpicks could illustrate so well how far I can go with my own articles.

Now to go and use the Adwords keyword tool (my imagination can use all the help it can get).

Also thanks to BeTheBest for pointing me to this thread.
You're welcome! I'm glad you found it useful, and I hope it helps you with your own site.

Old 24th August 2011, 03:10 AM   #9
Walkingman

Wow, great article!!! Google Adwards is really a good tool for grasping the keyword trend. And one attraction is that we should combine it with searching keywords practically. So that can see the competitiveness of those keywords and figure out the best way to promote our keywords and websites.

Walkingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 05:56 AM   #10
Sanity Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingman View Post
Wow, great article!!! Google Adwards is really a good tool for grasping the keyword trend. And one attraction is that we should combine it with searching keywords practically. So that can see the competitiveness of those keywords and figure out the best way to promote our keywords and websites.
Glad you liked it! It was my first article here, so I thought I'd start with a bang.