Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th June 2007, 03:37 AM   #1
paulalex

Default Critique On Business Idea And Experience

I am thinking about opening a computer type business. I worked in the IT field for several years doing many different things such as PC helpdesk, networking, Intranet design, website design, hardware and software support, etc.

The last two years i have worked as a Technology Teacher at the high school level and was actually assigned to teach a class called Video Technology. Although I had never really worked with video technology I accepted it and had a great time teaching the class and actually learned a bit myself. Also part of my job included teaching the faculty and staff technology, from computers, to digital cameras, to video cameras, to ELMOs, to digital video projectors, etc.

Although Ive enjoyed almost every single job ive had (20 jobs in 15 years) , I dont think I was meant to work for someone else. And for as long as I remember I have always wanted to own my own business, however, I just never had the support from friends and family to do so, every time I would bring it up everyone would tell me that I was crazy and that its too hard to start your own business and that i should just stick to my job because its a "great" job...but I just know that if given the chance I could run my own business and make it a success...but to be honest...I just dont know if I have the know how to even get started.

However, last month I got a small taste of what it could be like to have a small business. I was hired by 3 different people to create Graduation DVDs for their grads. Although all only had photos, I created a photo montage type of DVD for them with music and transitions, etc. Although I had never done it before I accepted the projects because they were friends of friends and Im always up for trying something different. All three "clients" were very satisfied with what I created for them and said it was well worth what I charged them. I felt very good about that and thats when I once again began to think about starting my own business and was it a sign to start my own business or just a one time thing because people wanted something and they knew people who knew me and the possibility that i could do it?

paulalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th June 2007, 01:58 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If those three people wanted that service, it's likely there were others who also wanted it, but either went to someone else, or who gave up because they couldn't find anybody who could/would do it for them.

Graduation is a very seasonal thing. Can you think of other events or occasions that would lend themselves to this service?

If this is something you can do "part time" while you continue your day job, that might be a good way to dip your toes in the water, judge what the level of interest and competition is, and see if the market rate for this service is high enough to make it a viable full time business.

My

--Torka

Old 23rd June 2007, 12:32 PM   #3
natetarsha

I agree with Torka,

You have found a niche that would be hungry for what you do. This is one of the first critical steps to getting a new business off the ground.

I agree with her that graduation is a seasonal event, however, you might expand your business by focusing on events that people would like to commemorate.

This means you could expand your business to include graduations, sporting events, births, marriages, family heritage...this list can go on and on.

Bottom-line. You could focus your attention on becoming known for the guy to come to for anything related to preserving memories.

Hope this helps...

Latarsha Lytle, MBA

natetarsha is offline   Reply With Quote