Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th June 2006, 11:29 PM   #1
oberhand

Default a simple tool to view keyword or phrases that were searched on Google

I can not find a simple tool to view keyword or phrases that were searched on Google (maybe last month)
I found overture but insn't that for Yahoo?

I looked at

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and put in terms, etc. and saw the bar graphs, etc. under global search volume trends. Where are the actual numbers? Can I get information like "desktop news" was searched x amount of times in the last 90 days or was searched one average x times a day? If so I can not find this information. Any ideas?
Thanks

Thanks again
Bruce

oberhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th June 2006, 07:56 AM   #2
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

That's one of the common complaints about the Google Keyword Tool...no exact numbers. However...it's very interesting to note the yearlong trend of interest and the peak interest date. That's fantastic data to combine with the numbers that you can get from other places...

Personally, I alternate between Wordtracker and the Keyword Discovery tool, both of which require subscriptions. Wordtracker will break the searches down with estimates of daily search numbers for each phrase on Google and will also list the number of other sites that also feature that keyword on them.

Depending on how much research you need to do, you might consider buying a single day's access to WordTracker. It's about $7 or $8 for a day's access and for most small business owners, that's plenty of time to run all the searches that they want to. You can export the results to an excel file so that you're basically stacking up data to review later.

Old 23rd June 2006, 10:15 PM   #3
211Club

Check-out Google Trends.

Right now this tool has a pretty high threshold so you may have to search for some of the more generic terms, but you can correlate those trends to your more specific keywords by using Overture's and Wordtracker's numbers.

Also, you might want to visit the Digital Point Keyword Suggestion Tool

211Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 12:22 AM   #4
NurseJenny

Check this tool.. http://www.seologs.com/dc-rank-check.html
or www.reladvance.com

NurseJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 03:18 PM   #5
oberhand

Default awesome tool but how do you interpret the data?

awesome tool if it is accurate but how do you interpret the data?

For example

Wordtracker
fitness phoenix 5.0 /day

Overture
fitness phoenix 50.3 /day

Why are the results so different? Does Wordtracker represent just Google? Overture is just the Yahoo searches?

thanks

oberhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2006, 07:45 PM   #6
johnnyappleseed

I read somewhere that you don't even want to know how many times a term was search for on google because the majority of the searches are done by people trying to see where their sites rank. Not sure if this is true, but its something to keep in mind.

johnnyappleseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 12:52 PM   #7
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Wordtracker and Overture use different databases to get their results. I think Wordtracker gets it's data from Dogpile while the Overtue results will come from their own database, though please don't hold me to that. Different databases will show different results.

They also look at keyword phrase differently. Overture will see car and cars as the same phrase while Wordtracker will see them as separate phrases. I think Overture is also using a smaller overall database and so has to extrapolate more when giving results.

You really can't compare the results of one to another directly, but rather compare keywords against other keywords from the same database. There's more to science though when choosing keywords. Your choice in keywords like every part of seo involves a little art.

Old 26th June 2006, 10:00 PM   #8
211Club

Exactly, Wordtracker gets their results from DogPile while Overture gets their results from Overture (The Overture database is seperate from Yahoo!, even though Overture is owned and operated by Yahoo!).

In addition to the difference in processing queries, the Overture database can become inflated by SEOs researching keywords. This is why you will occasionally see a long-tail outpace a short-tail.

The trick, so to speak, is to not look at the numbers in their raw form but to compare results against results within the same database to uncover trends and to validate those trends by comparing Wordtracker and Overture against each other.

After uncovering the snapshot trends (Call it the X-axis) you can add progress over time (the Y-axis) by looking at Google Trends. Once again, you may have to make some assumptions. For example, belly dancing waist chain may not show-up while belly dancing does. You can probably apply the trend line from belly dancing to belly dancing waist chain and even reach a greater level of confidence by looking-up other shorter-tail belly dancing related terms and checking to see if their trend lines are similar.

The reality is that finding-out whether or not a search term garners enough queries to be worthwhile if fairly easy. The hard part is to then look at the rankings and determine what it will take to get in there. This is where too many fall short. They either become disuaded by the competition too quickly or they attempt to rank for key phrases that are too far out of reach from their domains' current off-site optimization strength.

Last edited by 211Club; 26th June 2006 at 10:03 PM.
211Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 02:31 AM   #9
Old Welsh Guy

Gather all your data and run an adwords campaign. That is the ONLY way to get google data. I have written an article about this method of keyword research, I keep meaning to pass it to Linda to post here, but I am rubbish at syndicating my own articles It is part of the seo guide published on my blog though.