Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st May 2008, 10:11 PM   #1
HardworkinMom

I am an experienced writer and I have done everything from Copywriting to Press Releases to keyword articles. I am trying to strike out on my own rather than being the middle man. Does anyone have any good ideas where I would go to advertise myself and my business? I have a ton of experience writing real estate articles and also doing market reports.

If anyone has any ideas can you shoot me an email or PM or even a post, lol. Thanks so much.

My website is fresh-web-content.com... that could give you an idea on what I do.

HardworkinMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd May 2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Matt McGee

Hi HardworkinMom - welcome.

Have you tried sites like elance and others that let you bid on projects and offer your services to interested parties? That might be worth trying.

I'd also suggest starting a blog and using it to show off your writing expertise.

Hope this helps.

Old 22nd May 2008, 09:18 AM   #3
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Don't neglect your own back yard -- personal networking through the Chamber of Commerce, local business networking groups, professional associations, etc. Check MeetUp.com to see if there are any get-togethers in your area that sound promising -- writers groups for inspiration, ideas (and possible overflow work to send your way) as well as possible client groups (Realtors, business owners, web developers/designers, marketing people, etc.). Attend the meetings, get to know the people, find out about what they need and want -- avoiding heavy-handed sales pitches -- and you could find yourself getting business from that.

Robert Middleton has a wonderful website at ActionPlan.com that's all about how to create effective marketing plans for freelance professional services providers. He sells some very helpful products, but there are also a number of free resources I highly recommend, including a Marketing Plan Start Up Kit, a weekly newsletter, a blog and a marketing scorecard.

Read his "marketing ball" and "seven principles" articles, sign up for his newsletter, and download and read/listen to the start up kit materials. That will take you a long way toward creating an effective plan to get your freelance business off the ground.

Good luck with your venture!

--Torka

Old 12th August 2008, 10:38 AM   #4
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

Hi HardworkinMom, how about here? I was glad to stumble across your entry because there have been several times that I needed to sub-contract with a content writer. Remember to include your URL in your signature.

I visited your site and just had a couple of comments that I hope will help you. Having worked with a major book publisher for a couple of years I have had to learn a ton about fonts and typography. Though it is standard to use a serif font in book interiors, they are actually very hard to read online. On your website you should use the exact opposite of a book - serif headlines and san serif text. You have a lot of text on your home page and it is made to look overwhelming due to the font style. I also could not find quickly or easily a sample of things you have written or recommendations. Just pointing that out as a new visitor. People go to the internet to find information quickly. If they feel they have to read too much to get that information, or if the font is small or stressing to the eye, they simply click out and go to another site. Your style is right up my alley though! I love grunge/modern type and graphics.

Best of luck!! I'm a hard-working mom too!

Last edited by ktaylor310; 12th August 2008 at 09:39 PM.
ktaylor310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 11:54 AM   #5
mktgbiz

I found my proof-reader/editor on eBay. And I've been using her for over 2 years!!

Great place to promote because eBay gets buhzillions of visitors.

You may have to start on the low side, but keep in mind, the object is getting clients! Once you get them then you can use normal pricing.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 09:44 PM   #6
ktaylor310
VIP Contributor

That's interesting! Who would have thought... eBay. I have a content writer I've used in the past who is extremely nice and professional, but she only has non-web experience. Writing for the web is a whole different world! BTW I'm from Cape Coral and lived in St. Pete for quite awhile