Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th February 2012, 10:43 PM   #11
RachelLeads

Default Free Targeted Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legions View Post
I run a business called "Legions Technology"

What we do is to "lease" servers to small businesses, basically anybody who needs a server. These are ready-to-go servers and generally don't require much configuration. We encourage people to "lease" rather than buy and operate their own because we are able to provide the exceptionally high quality servers at a fraction of the cost, compared to they buying their own servers.

In our IT world, this concept is called "IT As A Service" or "Cloud Computing" for those who understand what Cloud is. I am passionate about this because I have been doing this for large international companies for many years, and I see this is a great way to help small business to cut down cost while significantly improve quality of service.

I would just like to know if anyone has any creative ideas on how to market our business.

We are basically stuck here because we, obviously technically strong, have no experience in marketing and sales.

I have been to a few chambers of commerce. Besides ribbon cutting and ability to email their members, I can't see much benefit. I went to a few "networking events" and got a few business cards. When I follow up with them, however, I got no response.

So will take any advice.

All advice is appreciated.

Alright Legions here is the deal. You company is probably wonderful but you need to get your products and services in front of targeted traffic, or else nobody will ever know you exist. I did some keyword research for you and found this website domain name available RENTINGASERVER.COM

If I were you, I would not only buy .com but I would buy .net and .org maybe even .biz as well. From there, rank the websites to the first page of Google and enjoy the free traffic. The keyword phrase Renting a Server is currently getting about 8100 global monthly searches. (not bad) about 2100 local searches..

Hope this helps!

RachelLeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th February 2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Legions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelLeads View Post
Alright Legions here is the deal. You company is probably wonderful but you need to get your products and services in front of targeted traffic, or else nobody will ever know you exist. I did some keyword research for you and found this website domain name available RENTINGASERVER.COM

If I were you, I would not only buy .com but I would buy .net and .org maybe even .biz as well. From there, rank the websites to the first page of Google and enjoy the free traffic. The keyword phrase Renting a Server is currently getting about 8100 global monthly searches. (not bad) about 2100 local searches..

Hope this helps!
Are you proposing something like Google Adworld and SEO stuff?

Legions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Legions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateStevensB View Post
SEO can actually help a lot. Of course you should also establish your online presence. You can start at LinkedIn. You can also get potential clients using social networking sites.
I am not discounting SEO but we have presence on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter already and so far got zero contact.

Old 20th February 2012, 10:23 AM   #14
ThirdSEO

So let me get this straight, your main line of work is cloud hosting and you literally have no online presence? The Internet is where all of your potential customers are going to look for the services you provide. The Chamber of Commerce is not where you're going to find your clients. Over half of the people who you're going to meet at the Chamber of Commerce won't even know what cloud computing is.

Your company website is over a year old and doesn't have a single link pointing to it from anywhere on the Internet, which leads me to believe you've devoted $0 to marketing your business online. Why even pay for the website if nobody can find it? It's a nice website too, you need to put it to work for you.

Don't do what RachelLeads suggested, either, because it'll just be a waste if you continue doing what you're currently doing.

Do you mind me asking you how much is currently in your marketing budget and what you've been doing over the last couple of years to generate the clients you have? I can help point you in the right direction.

ThirdSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Legions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSEO View Post
So let me get this straight, your main line of work is cloud hosting and you literally have no online presence? The Internet is where all of your potential customers are going to look for the services you provide. The Chamber of Commerce is not where you're going to find your clients. Over half of the people who you're going to meet at the Chamber of Commerce won't even know what cloud computing is.

Your company website is over a year old and doesn't have a single link pointing to it from anywhere on the Internet, which leads me to believe you've devoted $0 to marketing your business online. Why even pay for the website if nobody can find it? It's a nice website too, you need to put it to work for you.

Don't do what RachelLeads suggested, either, because it'll just be a waste if you continue doing what you're currently doing.

Do you mind me asking you how much is currently in your marketing budget and what you've been doing over the last couple of years to generate the clients you have? I can help point you in the right direction.
I frankly don't know what the budget should be. Would you think you can make some recommendation?

Last edited by Legions; 20th February 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 20th February 2012, 10:53 AM   #16
ThirdSEO

There's a potential solution to your problem at almost any budget amount, you just have to find a number that you'd feel comfortable with spending and make it work. I will say, though, that the smaller the budget, the more work you're going to have to do "in the trenches" to bring in new clients. Larger budgets just make things easier.

Social media is one of the hardest ways to market a business, unless what you do for a living is actually interesting. Harnessing the power of those sites takes a very delicate touch and a lot of relationship building. You would have to invest a lot of time in sites like Facebook and LinkedIn to get anything worthwhile out of them.

There's definitely a demand out there for your service, the problem is most people don't know they need it yet. There's a barrier in terms of educating new clients, which I'm sure you're used to. You also have to convince them to use your services over, say HostGator (since you're based in Houston).

There's still plenty of hope and a lot of upside to be had if you can expand at the rate you say you can. Expandability is a good problem to have, you just need to increase your product awareness.

Old 20th February 2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Legions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSEO View Post
There's a potential solution to your problem at almost any budget amount, you just have to find a number that you'd feel comfortable with spending and make it work. I will say, though, that the smaller the budget, the more work you're going to have to do "in the trenches" to bring in new clients. Larger budgets just make things easier.

Social media is one of the hardest ways to market a business, unless what you do for a living is actually interesting. Harnessing the power of those sites takes a very delicate touch and a lot of relationship building. You would have to invest a lot of time in sites like Facebook and LinkedIn to get anything worthwhile out of them.

There's definitely a demand out there for your service, the problem is most people don't know they need it yet. There's a barrier in terms of educating new clients, which I'm sure you're used to. You also have to convince them to use your services over, say HostGator (since you're based in Houston).

There's still plenty of hope and a lot of upside to be had if you can expand at the rate you say you can. Expandability is a good problem to have, you just need to increase your product awareness.
Can you provide me some numbers for the marketing budget?

Last edited by Legions; 20th February 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:01 PM   #18
Legions

I tell you I am very skeptical about the usefulness of SEO. It probably works for certain business like online store selling to consumers but my business is geared towards small business.

Old 23rd February 2012, 01:03 AM   #19
ThirdSEO

I sent you a private message, take what you want from it. In your line of work Internet marketing is one of the best ways to find new customers. In the end, it's up to you.

Old 24th February 2012, 01:03 PM   #20
RachelLeads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legions View Post
I tell you I am very skeptical about the usefulness of SEO. It probably works for certain business like online store selling to consumers but my business is geared towards small business.
Legions I hope ThirdSEO sent you some great information. I hate to see you so skeptical about the usefulness of SEO it really is a wonderful free tool to utilize when marketing your business. (especially yours ThirdSEO is right you need to have a presence online!)

Again best of luck

RachelLeads is offline   Reply With Quote