Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Legions

Default Help On How To Market To Small Business

I run a business called "Legions Technology"

What we do is to "lease" servers to small businesses, basically anybody who needs a server. These are ready-to-go servers and generally don't require much configuration. We encourage people to "lease" rather than buy and operate their own because we are able to provide the exceptionally high quality servers at a fraction of the cost, compared to they buying their own servers.

In our IT world, this concept is called "IT As A Service" or "Cloud Computing" for those who understand what Cloud is. I am passionate about this because I have been doing this for large international companies for many years, and I see this is a great way to help small business to cut down cost while significantly improve quality of service.

I would just like to know if anyone has any creative ideas on how to market our business.

We are basically stuck here because we, obviously technically strong, have no experience in marketing and sales.

I have been to a few chambers of commerce. Besides ribbon cutting and ability to email their members, I can't see much benefit. I went to a few "networking events" and got a few business cards. When I follow up with them, however, I got no response.

So will take any advice.

All advice is appreciated.

Legions is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th February 2012, 08:22 PM   #2
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

Maybe you can consider rope in a marketing partner. Identify your target audience, understand their needs and package your product/service to address their needs. Think about the compelling reasons for them to take up your services, and highlight your strength compared to other alternatives.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Legions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisChang View Post
Maybe you can consider rope in a marketing partner. Identify your target audience, understand their needs and package your product/service to address their needs. Think about the compelling reasons for them to take up your services, and highlight your strength compared to other alternatives.
What's a marketing partner?

Old 15th February 2012, 05:53 PM   #4
RachelLeads

Default Find More Local Business In Need

Legions.

Not only does it sound like you have a great product and service, but from what I can understand you know what you are doing and your company does it significantly well.

I am not sure how involved you would like to get in the actual marketing of your company, but it seems like you need to just reach out to the right customers and get your service in front of them. There are many tools and techniques on the web that I can think of that can help you, but I am not exactly sure how much you are looking to expand...

Are you simply looking for as many businesses as you can find?

RachelLeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Legions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelLeads View Post
Legions.

Not only does it sound like you have a great product and service, but from what I can understand you know what you are doing and your company does it significantly well.

I am not sure how involved you would like to get in the actual marketing of your company, but it seems like you need to just reach out to the right customers and get your service in front of them. There are many tools and techniques on the web that I can think of that can help you, but I am not exactly sure how much you are looking to expand...

Are you simply looking for as many businesses as you can find?
Yes, I'd like to expand as much as we can. We actually have enough manpower to handle 20 customers a month if not more.

Old 16th February 2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Legions

We can expand FAST. Currently I guess we can handle 20 customers a month.

If you have ideas to get customers, please tell as we are stuck right now.

Old 17th February 2012, 10:24 AM   #7
EricB
VIP Contributor

Hi Legions,

I'm very interested in your post and the answers you've been getting. A question I have for you, which may help you get even more focused answers from people, is who are your customers? The title of your post is "Help On How To Market To Small Business", but what type of small businesses would benefit most from what you are offering? Since you know your business better than anyone, if you could tell us what businesses you are trying to market to that might help. For instance, would a Mom and Pop shop down the street benefit or is it more for a larger small business? Also, if you could tell us how we could see your website that might help us better understand what you are offering and who your customer might be.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Legions

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
Hi Legions,

I'm very interested in your post and the answers you've been getting. A question I have for you, which may help you get even more focused answers from people, is who are your customers? The title of your post is "Help On How To Market To Small Business", but what type of small businesses would benefit most from what you are offering? Since you know your business better than anyone, if you could tell us what businesses you are trying to market to that might help. For instance, would a Mom and Pop shop down the street benefit or is it more for a larger small business? Also, if you could tell us how we could see your website that might help us better understand what you are offering and who your customer might be.
We already worked that out. Our customers are simply businesses with 20-150 employees not including construction.

Old 17th February 2012, 01:46 PM   #9
EricB
VIP Contributor

Quote:
We already worked that out. Our customers are simply businesses with 20-150 employees not including construction.
Sorry I must have missed that in the post, I didn't see where you had said that. It still seems a bit too broad having a target audience of any business with 20-150 employees. You are offering Cloud Computing, I'm still a little confused at exactly what that means. Do you have a website that explains in more detail what exactly you offer? It may just be me not understanding, but it may help others to understand what you offer too. To better help with marketing ideas, it might help if I have a better understanding of what you offer.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Legions

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
Sorry I must have missed that in the post, I didn't see where you had said that. It still seems a bit too broad having a target audience of any business with 20-150 employees. You are offering Cloud Computing, I'm still a little confused at exactly what that means. Do you have a website that explains in more detail what exactly you offer? It may just be me not understanding, but it may help others to understand what you offer too. To better help with marketing ideas, it might help if I have a better understanding of what you offer.
Of course I do. http://www.legionstechnology.com

Don't think about Cloud Computing, a concept not easy to grasp.

Think this way. If you have a need for a server, instead of buying your own, we will connect one to your network within 2 days. No upfront cost to you, no other hidden fee. Just a flat rate monthly cost.

You don't really see a physical server in your office but one is provided to you in our datacenter and is connected to your network via a secure Internet connection.

If you already have servers and you want prevention of any disaster, we can move your servers to our data center for free, and you get to keep your hardware as a backup.

Hope this explains it.