Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th October 2006, 03:05 AM   #11
mbm

Google say - create a web pages for the visitors, not for search engines!

No matter how many visitors you get. What really mater is how many of them will become customers and how many will just close the web page.

PPC, banners and other similar advertisement must say exactly what the visitor will find on your web site /better on the landing page/.
If you do not have articles, than more detailed information about the items you sell would be valuable too.

By the way, did you try to run PPC for particular items? One PPC text banner for exactly one item and it must be linked to its page. Google allows in one campaign to set different key phrases and for each of them different landing url, different text banners and for each of the different landing url too.

Old 12th October 2006, 05:22 AM   #12
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

Online business is as any business now, really. Instead of being on the same street, your rival is on the same page of search results.

What you may want to try is to build content to get links. I consider this one of the best ways to get you relevant links and targeted traffic.

For example, you can try running contests among your customers for the best article about their favorite kind of sport with your product. Have 3-5 places and generous prizes. You'll get a lot of human created content and will be able to connect it with your existing and future customers and your products as well.

That's just one way of creating quality content

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 08:43 AM   #13
willscott

Send a message via AIM to willscott Send a message via MSN to willscott Send a message via Skype™ to willscott
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.N.Onym View Post
For example, you can try running contests among your customers for the best article about their favorite kind of sport with your product. Have 3-5 places and generous prizes. You'll get a lot of human created content and will be able to connect it with your existing and future customers and your products as well.
This is a great idea! I'm not sure if A.N. Onym intended this, but it doesn't just have to be customers.

Anyone who's interested in the prizes and writing about sports would be a potential contributor (contestant).

So, you get the traffic lift as people come to read about the contest, you get links as bloggers and others write about (and link to) the contest, and you get a sustained increase in returning visitors because you now have a lot more quality content.

There's another thread on "Link Baiting" which is debating that term a little bit.

Ultimately, Link Baiting is Buzz Marketing with the lasting impact of lots of relevant inbound links.

This is a great example of how to do just that.

And, if you wanted to go for the coup de grace, you could find a local retired sports figure - make them a celebrity judge and have the top prize be something autographed or similarly personal.
There are a lot of retired sports figures who are now bloggers. If you can find one of these guys you can both get your judge, and get a little additional publicity by way of their writing -- and the incentive for them is that they get a little added exposure for their blog at your expense.
Johnny, you have got to do this my friend!

I think anybody who's been reading this thread would be thrilled to hear about the outcome.

I know I'd blog about it!

willscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 10:39 AM   #14
Texas Style 50

WOW! This thread is a gold mine...specially for those who are so new to selling on the web. I confess, that I didn't get serious about SEO and stuff till this year. I dang well should have started a long time ago. phooey! My loss and hopefully those who are considering a web site will bypass my mistakes.

Anywho...I will be focusing on a portion of what my site is about. Jewelry...extremely hard as there are literally thousands of these sites out there. So...I need to concentrate on what sets mine apart from other like sites. Focus on that and promote it. Yes, traffic will be less, BUT the traffic that I do get will be those that are more interested in my items and hopefully will result in more sales.

I have a question about free web advertising. I have come across a site that lets you submit free classified ads with no sign up or hidden fees. You have to update your ad to keep it in the top portion of the catagory you go for...hence, I think it is this that keeps their site up in the search engines allowing them to offer this for free. I'm sure they have features that can be purchased also, yet if a person was deligent enough to update often, it might be a good "free" form of advertisement. I'm leary about sites that offer things for free...there usually is always a catch. However, I can't find a real down side to this one. Here is the question (finally): Anyone have any good experiences with sites that allow free advertising?

Texas Style 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 10:45 AM   #15
Logan
Administrator

If you want, provide the domain of the free advertising site (pm me if needed) and we can review it here and provide you feedback/opinions. Some are okay, but many/most are not. Hard to say without reviewing directly though.

Maybe a good list for the future to make ... qualifications of what constitues an 'okay' site to advertise/market your site on.

Old 12th October 2006, 10:58 AM   #16
willscott

Send a message via AIM to willscott Send a message via MSN to willscott Send a message via Skype™ to willscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Maybe a good list for the future to make ... qualifications of what constitues an 'okay' site to advertise/market your site on.
Chris,

Sounds like the makings of a viral top-ten list:
"Top Ten Sites for Free Online Advertising -- Plus: The Top Ten Criteria for Judging All the Others"
Do you want to start a new thread soliciting recommendations or should I?

Cheers,
Will

Old 12th October 2006, 11:03 AM   #17
Logan
Administrator

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. Have at it... I'll follow up there later on and be happy to pitch in.

Old 12th October 2006, 11:25 AM   #18
Texas Style 50

Here it is: hot-web-ads.com/info/faq.php
(New members aren't allowed to post urls, so you will have to put the prefix to it.)

I hope it helps...I just started to research free web advertising...I love "free" and have accumilated some "free resources" that I certainly don't mind sharing with you all. When I find relevant topics, I will do so.

Texas Style 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 11:32 AM   #19
mbm

Hey, don't forget to post the url of the new "Top Ten Sites for Free Online Advertising ..." thread here

Old 12th October 2006, 11:33 AM   #20
willscott

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. Have at it... I'll follow up there later on and be happy to pitch in.
Done

"Let the wild rumpus start".