Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th July 2006, 11:20 AM   #1
cuteaffiliate

Default Does PPC Advertising Really Generate Sales?

Hi All

I've tried adwords and kanoodle but it seems both of them did not give me result. Is it true that using ppc advertising really generates sales?
It seems that I have thrown money for this type of advertising.

Do you have any suggestion how to promote correctly ?

Regards
Edy Subiyanto

cuteaffiliate is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th July 2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Sure, without doubt it can and does work ... for most if done correctly ... i've seen hundreds of thousands of dollars generated by ppc promotion over the years. That said, it doesn't always work. Sometimes this is due to the campaign, other times the competition, sometimes the price/pricing and other times the ads/keywords being run or the website doesn't convert. Many, many variables.

When you test and get no results, the next step is to evaluate the variables further and change one at a time and test further. By changing one variable at a time and tracking progress over time you typically will be able to improve your results.

AdWords typically has the best results, and kanoodle can be sketchy often. I would experiment with adwords strictly (take off partners search and content so you are only distributing your ads via google search only) after you've established a benchmark with google then expand your campaign to other engines starting with Yahoo and then maybe MSN. If things don't work in Google, then I would try one more time using yahoo or msn as alternatives. Until you have exposure in the major search engines I wouldn't waste your time/money with second tier providers such as Kanoodle and others.

Old 1st August 2006, 12:03 PM   #3
scott

you should spend some time (maybe even use some tools out there) to help you generate an effective keyword list. also, build a variety of different creatives and test which ones work the best. google allows up to six creatives per ad group and will automatically optimize to serve the most effective ad.

best,
scott

scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 07:37 AM   #4
John Triscan

What is your current conversion ratio on other methods besides PPC? and what was the conversion rate on your PPC campaigns?

If there was a noticeable different then you need to ask the following:

1) Was a targeting different keywords?
2) Was my offer different?

Also consider testing different ads and maybe negatively qualifying visitors by showing the price of your product in the PPC ad, this will lower response rates but improve conversion.

PPC works, just as all marketing methods work. You just have to figure out how it will work for your product and market.

John Triscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 07:46 AM   #5
mktgbiz

My personal opinion is PayPerClick (PPC) should be a component in your marketing, not the motor.

Over the past 3 years I've done just about everything online: articles, banner ads, product donation, professional endorsement, link swapping, posting on forums, ppc, auction style selling, etc in order to promote and sell my How To Get Sponsored For Fishing Tournaments ebooks.

What technique has worked the best? I don't believe it's one, rather the power of all techniques combined that has helped me sell.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 08:56 PM   #6
hawkins217

Wink You Can Become A PPC Expert

PPC does work when you know what you are doing. The key really is to have a very targeted keyword lists for your product or service as well as great copywriting that will capture people's attention.

Tools such as Wordtracker really helps one set up a campaign right. With it, you are able to see how many times keywords are searched, and how many people you would be competing with on the different search engines. It also lets you know if you have good or lousy keywords.

So, careful research as well as good copywriting can go a long way in helping you have a successful campaign.

hawkins217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 06:10 AM   #7
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

Everything works if you do it right.

AdWords require some work, actually, before you start seeing efficient results.

You need to do your keyword research, select targeted, medium competitive phrases, select the low-medium max cpc, create focused pages, provide ways of learning more about the product from the landing pages, offer easy ways to buy from you, follow up on purchase.

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Words of Magic

Keyword research is critical to your success, so review your keywords in the context of

a) Your Own Business
b)Adwords Profitability

What your looking for when researching keywords is as follows: High number of searches for keywords/keyphrases that are not so
competitive so not only will you get seen on the first page but your cost per click will be minimum. Providing you've written a good adwords ad, and it continues with the same theme when the prospect clicks through to the landing page, your CTR (Click Through Rate) will be high, your bid prices for keywords and keyphrases will be reduced and Google will reward you with a high position, because the "RELEVANCY" of your ad.

Your cost per click and daily budget depends on the keywords and keyphrases you select. Try to spend your time putting together a long keyword list, this is the key difference between companies who spend spend spend, who dont know the value per visitor and the educated marketer who careful selects word and phrases which receive alot of searches which has virtually no competition, all because you took that bit longer finding those golden words.

Wishing you all the success in the world,

Paul Smith
Adwords Consultant

Words of Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 03:39 PM   #9
J.Albright

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteaffiliate View Post
Hi All

I've tried adwords and kanoodle but it seems both of them did not give me result. Is it true that using ppc advertising really generates sales?
It seems that I have thrown money for this type of advertising.

Do you have any suggestion how to promote correctly ?

Regards
Edy Subiyanto
Get a good ebook on the subject. Yes, ppc can make you cash, but you have to know what you're doing before you jump into it...let me clarify, when I say that you have to know what you're doing, you never know it all. As Jim Rohn says, "Don't let your learning lead to knowledge. Let your learning lead to action".

J.Albright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Videoguy

I have to say my own experience of Google AdWords was disappointing.

I've run several campaigns for my video training product, Photoshop Master. They all started out quite promisingly, but after a while, I found my most popular (and traffic generating) keywords being repeatedly clicked by the same sources over and over again until the budget/limit was reached and the ad stopped showing.

I log IP addresses of visitors to my sites, and found that the clicks were coming from the same two IP addresses. Sometimes 60% of AdWords clicks were coming from these two sources.

In the end, I got fed up with pouring money down the drain, and decided to look elsewhere for traffic.

These days I get most of my traffic from search engines and from articles. These sources take longer to get the traffic flowing, but when it starts, it doesn't cost anything!

Shaun

Videoguy is offline   Reply With Quote