Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th October 2013, 03:58 AM   #1
selvam.seo

Smile Google Penguim Update Affects My Site's Rankings

Recent update on Google's Penguin shows my site rankings down. I face huge drop in my client sites even for the low search volumes. Earlier i could rank for my client site all the keywords in the 1st page of Google.co.in. But due to the recent update, all the keywords went back.

I was focusing on only long tail keywords for my client site, but it went back and now the keywords with high search volumes rankings in top 3.

My site keywords which are ranking in top for years are computer rentals in chennai, laptop rentals in chennai. Now these went back and i could able to rank for generic keywords like "computer rental", "laptop rentals" etc.

Friends, suggest me few latest techniques which i can use for getting back the keywords again in top position.

selvam.seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th October 2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Jen 100

Some sites are now experiencing search issues due to Google's latest algorithm, Hummingbird. You might read up on that a bit as well while you're trying to make changes and corrections to your SEO.

Old 15th October 2013, 01:40 AM   #3
nehadas87

Google again & again saying just focus on your quality & user-informative content. forget about back-links.

Put more useful content on your website.

Old 15th October 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Old Welsh Guy

Penguin 2.1 really looked in depth at anchor text abuse. so if you have been impacted on that, take a look at your anchor text and target pages etc.

Old 15th October 2013, 08:03 PM   #5
OS Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Welsh Guy View Post
Penguin 2.1 really looked in depth at anchor text abuse. so if you have been impacted on that, take a look at your anchor text and target pages etc.
Old Welsh Guy,

do you have a place you trust to give accurate in depth understanding of the 2.1 other than Matt at Google? I'm looking for a solid blog to help me understand it better, but there are so many place and people - I'm just looking for a good one.

Thanks

OS Research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 11:50 PM   #6
sblg

Exclamation Understanding Penguin, Panda and Hummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehadas87 View Post
Google again & again saying just focus on your quality & user-informative content. forget about back-links.

Google DOES tell you to focus on quality content that is worth sharing.

Google DOES NOT tell you that back links are dead, a bad idea, or other such nonsense. Google has been clear that quality backlinks are still important.

The key to ranking your SEO comes in a multiple tier solution.
1. Create Quality Content that is Worth Sharing
2. Have Quality Content (preferably from authority sites) linking to your Quality Content.
3. Have Real Customers leave Personal Feedback about the company, their products or services. Avoid blackhat review services that create fake reviews for you.
4. Create Quality Content in clusters of similar content. This is called Grouping and lets search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing know that your site has real value when it comes to this/these subjects.

For example, a page about "training horses naturally" along with "natural horse training equipment" and let's say "natural horse training."

You can do keyword research to help you pick topics within a cluster.

sblg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 06:47 AM   #7
selvam.seo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehadas87 View Post

Yes i totally agree with you. Just fresh update frequently within the site will improve the rankings.

Thanks nehadas87

selvam.seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 10:58 AM   #8
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

I agree with the posters above. Instead of looking at what new techniques to use, I'd be looking at what errors were made in the past. If you were previously rising and now falling - and did nothing different - this could be indicative of a hit. Look at Panda release dates to determine if you were hit for low quality content, look at Penguin release dates to check if you were hit by spammy links. If you do engage in aggressive link building or any type of manipulative practices, you need to transition to quality content building in order to survive Google's algorithm shifts.

Good luck!

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 11:27 PM   #9
johnlarase

The best way to get you back on top is to focus on putting relevant info on your site than have somebody to promote it using some blackhat techniques which are "really" against to Google's new algorithm.
Google's aim is to fight spam, spam-targeted-keywords, so make a way to pull yourself away from those old techniques.

I wonder if infographics are also affected by these new updates?

johnlarase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 12:01 AM   #10
borgninestallon
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlarase View Post
The best way to get you back on top is to focus on putting relevant info on your site than have somebody to promote it using some blackhat techniques which are "really" against to Google's new algorithm.
Google's aim is to fight spam, spam-targeted-keywords, so make a way to pull yourself away from those old techniques.

I wonder if infographics are also affected by these new updates?
You saying to follow the blackhat techniques to promote the site in Google. How this will help. This is against Google Algorithm.