Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th April 2007, 11:34 AM   #11
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Default Maybe off topic but probably an interesting point...

This is sort of off topic but maybe tangentially relevant so I'll share.

I sell these 20-40 page pdf documents that amount to do-it-yourself instructions about how to form an LLC or corporation.

Initially, this was really just a hobby thing so I mocked up a cover myself, trying, er, to copy what a best-selling business book did. It was pretty horrendous, but it might make sense to google on redtechpress and see just what my terrible artistic skills produced.

One day, about six months ago, I was talking to the Philippine designer who does my web site and she offered to redo my covers so they have more pizazz, look more professional, etc. (You can click on one of the links below to poke around and see what the covers look like now if you want.)

Here's the reason I share this. After puttering along for month and months, almost overnight, my sales doubled. Like until one Monday--the day before I used the new covers--I was selling X units a day. And then by Thursday, and every day since, I averaged 2X a day.

This experience, obviously, maybe isn't definitive. Maybe something else happened. But my takeaway from my "better product images" experience is that the aesthetics of the site--and particularly pictures of the products you and I sell--are really, really, really, really important.

And you know what's really sad about this? Getting new cover images cost me $100. That's what the designer charged me. I made that back almost instantly...

Old 28th April 2007, 08:56 PM   #12
colintheriot

Well, being a graphics guy might make me biased, but yes. I agree 100% that images are a key factor in increasing conversion. LOL.

colintheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 09:54 AM   #13
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Default importance of graphics

Well, yes, I agree the "look" is important. But seriously I never would have guessed they were driving half the sales.

And not to go all weird or anything, but every page at my site clearly shows people that I've written a couple of books (QuickBooks for Dummies and Quicken for Dummies) that many potential buyers know about or have even already purchased (so I should have some street cred)... and I pretty shameless about telling people that I'd taught the class on limited liabilities at Golden Gate University's graduate tax school and that GGU's tax school was the largest graduate tax school in the country...

Old 7th May 2007, 04:31 PM   #14
ledoc
Banned

I think you need to look at 3 aspects:

1) The content (written word) - sales copy writing is an art, but it can be learned.

2) Pricing strategy - important to get that right

3) Control of your webpage - you seem to be battling in that respect.

Have sent you a PM with my suggestions as don't want to clog up the works here!

Cheers

ledoc

ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 05:05 PM   #15
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Ditch your web hoster if you have no control

All of the responses you have received are valid points and will get you more sales. I know the exact things people are telling you to do have increasd my conversion rate over 400%.

You need to switch to a provider that will allow you to put items above the fold, more descriptive content etc...

Or you can live with lower conversions....you cant afford not to switch.

Old 11th May 2007, 04:44 PM   #16
mrpromoblackbox

I agree with SimonHeseltine. It's important to have control over your website.
This is your business and you must have control over your store, otherwise you may have to consider moving somewhere else.
Even if you do not know how to edit and make changes, you can always have someone do it for you for a minimal cost.

I also believe your name/logo is larger than your dolls. When someone visits your site they are not looking for your name they are interested in your dolls. Perhaps you may consider using the area where your logo is to offer a featured doll or special of the month or anything that will get their attention and interest...other than your name.

mrpromoblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 03:45 PM   #17
Peter Bowen

I second the reply given about finding out where the traffic is coming from.

Why are people visiting your site? If they want more information about dolls then give it to them but not on your site - trade it for their details and set up an autoresponder sales process.

If they want to buy the dolls set your site up to make it painless for them to buy - walk them through the process.
1.- first fold to reassure them that they're in the right place and grab their attention.

Cheers

Pete

Peter Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 02:40 PM   #18
jasontan

One more thing you can do is to give away something in value for thier emails. Create a email campaign, that helps alot in converting sales. Statistic shows that normally it needs 7 emails to convert a suspect into a customer. So what i think you should do is to put an opt-in box.

Jason Tan

jasontan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 04:50 PM   #19
Crimson Fox

What sort of numbers of traffic a day or month are we talking about?

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 12:27 PM   #20
fruit-engine

Maybe you're attracting the traffic, i.e. people not really looking for dolls.

fruit-engine is offline   Reply With Quote