Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th September 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Do Press Releases Really Work?

Do press releases really work? In a word, YES! I've used press releases on numerous occassions with excellent results.

And if you've never used a press release to promote your business, you're missing out on a highly effective marketing tool. The secret of press releases is the fact they bring a news slant to your marketing campaign. And because it's ingrained in our psyche, we tend to pay attention to the news.

So, how do you write a press release? To continue reading this article click here.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 8th September 2009 at 01:24 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th September 2009, 07:39 AM   #2
IsraelExporter

Thanks for the information.

IsraelExporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 12:29 AM   #3
debbystewart

Based on my experience, press releases don't work...unless your press release is news-worthy and earth shattering.
I have sent out press releases in the past and none of them have been republished by news wires that matter. I didn't get any significant traffic from press releases.

debbystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

You don't need earth shattering news to have a successful press release, what you need is a unique, timely and relevant angle for the reporter/journalist.

Not all press releases get coverage, even if you do have a great pitch...timing is everything...

But that doesn't mean they don't work.

Of course, I am biased I write them as part of my services, but I have also written them for myself and my own business ventures. In the past couple of months I've been on local radio several times and had a name drop in a national magazine.

Old 29th September 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogirl View Post
You don't need earth shattering news to have a successful press release, what you need is a unique, timely and relevant angle for the reporter/journalist.

Not all press releases get coverage, even if you do have a great pitch...timing is everything...

But that doesn't mean they don't work.
Well said, Patrysha. Well said.

David Jackson

Old 30th September 2009, 03:36 AM   #6
Mary42

I feel that Press Releases are helpful if you submit them in good sites which have a high page rank. Because of its high page rank, the Press Releases will get optimized in Google, and if a particular keyword from the PR is typed in the google search, the PR shows up.

Mary42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 07:11 AM   #7
JLeesCastro

Send a message via Skype™ to JLeesCastro

I think press releases can be very helpful - you just have to know how to write them well, and what the single goal and message of your press release is.

There must be an interesting and newsworthy angle to your press release. Otherwise, it just won't get picked up.

Take a look at this article with some good tips for writing successful press releases: http://www.easy-marketing-strategies...s-release.html

Joanna

JLeesCastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 09:03 AM   #8
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeesCastro View Post
I think press releases can be very helpful - you just have to know how to write them well, and what the single goal and message of your press release is.

There must be an interesting and newsworthy angle to your press release. Otherwise, it just won't get picked up.
That's exactly right, Joanna. Great stuff!

David Jackson

Old 30th September 2009, 10:06 AM   #9
small business

I used a press release once bu i don't know.. it didn't rank well in google.. any suggestions?

small business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 03:49 PM   #10
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by small business View Post
I used a press release once bu i don't know.. it didn't rank well in google.. any suggestions?
A good search engine ranking isn't the primary function of a press release to begin with. A press release's primary function is to generate interest in your product or service, and attract visitors to your website.

If it happens to rank well with the search engines, well, that's just icing on the cake. Do I have any suggestions for you? Without actually seeing your press release, I can't tell you why it didn't do well.

However, generally speaking, when press releases fail or are ineffective, it's usually because they weren't particularly newsworthy or well-written.

And sometimes, it's just plain bad timing.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 30th September 2009 at 03:53 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote