Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th September 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default Moms And Dads Lookin' To Get Started

Okay, WAHMs and WAHDs, how did you get started in your business? In this weeks newsletter, I am looking for advice for those parents who have sent their last kid to school and are ready to get started in business. Could you help them out?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th September 2007, 06:17 AM   #2
market queen

Hi,

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say about my business in this forum, but I can tell you I searched through all sorts of business opportunities when I was looking for a work-at-home money maker. I think I've found the best! It's not selling vitamins or health care products that I really have no knowledge of, faith or interest in. It's a product that everyone can and does use all the time, and it is the most fun I've ever had! It works for women, men, retirees, baby boomers, college students, everyone. The best part is, the initial start up cost is pretty minimal and can be recouped quickly! If you'd like more information on this fabulous opportunity, drop me an email at [email protected] No further obligation. As I said, it's probably not proper to discuss it further in this forum or I would!

market queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Vacation Mamma
I bought the book!

Default Do What You Love; Love What You Do

Even if you've been a "stay at home mom or dad" for the whole 18 years or so since junior and missy were born, chances are very slim that you have done nothing work related or transferable since you first left the paying work force or had those children. Chances are that you did lots of things old and new: room parent, PTA volunteer, fundraising, den leader, community volunteer, soccer website, learned a new skill, took up a new hobby. Why is this imortant? Because before you even look on the web, you need to look at yourself and think. Think about what you love, what you like, what you are good at, what you stink at, how you like to work, how much you need to work, how much you want to work.

Once you answer those questions, then you can get to work.

For me I never really stopped working, even though I still identify myself as a stay at home mom first and foremost, it doesn't mean I haven't worked the last 14 years. After leaving a Fortune 100 firm when my oldes was 1, I consulted a little, and then got to work just being mom for a few years. Before my 2nd baby was 1 though, I had started a company "PicturePals" that turned photos into memory books to be carried around by kids. It failed to make me any money, but most importantly I was on the leading edge of digital photo and printing technology, so I learned a whole lot of new skills (Lesson 1).

I was fortunate enough to buy some retirement/vacation/investment property around preschool age and learned html, PhotoShop, FrontPage, and a few other tools. This kept my mind engaged, and kept me from being obsolete as the internet boomed(Lesson 1 again - new skills)

By the time the kids were in school full time, I had some connections in my old world, and did some marketing consulting, for high pay, and flexible hours. I loved the money and the work, but grew tired of the inability of the companies I worked with to pay on time (yeah even Fortune 100 was lousy), and to actually implement any of my great work (they were all slow as molasses). I didn't want to do this forever or go back to Corporate America, and I definitely like working in my pajamas (Lessons 2 and 3).

I became more active in my vacation rental management, and added a few more properties of my own. To market them I networked online, learned about SEO, optimized my web pages (all the time), and realized how much I don't know, but how much I LOVE managing and marketing vacation rentals. I also realized I didn't have enough capital to just manage my own empire - I needed to use other people's capital and my skills and passion to make them and me money. (Lessons 4 and 5).

As the kids are off in middle and high school, I'm on the brink of something big. I've obtained my real estate sales license and sit for my broker's exam next month (NO I didn't forget all my lessons; I like vacation rental management, not RE sales). I'm starting my own property management company for vacation rentals in the locations that I personally know and love. I've recruited a woman I respect and like to work with me to help me grow. I'm doing something that works for ME. I hope it helps you figure out what works for YOU

Old 26th March 2008, 12:40 PM   #4
puti1

Default I started an internet business

ok....i have 2 young kids and started running my own online publishing business about a year ago. Things are starting to turn for the better as additional incomes are coming in. Maybe in my opinion, running an internet business is better off with running a brick and mortar business - with overheads, rentals, employees, ....etc....

My main motivation are my kids and i really wanted to spend more time with them..btw...i am in my 30s and my kids are both under 3 years of age.
I do know of many others who are like me who had done better running online businesses. But i can assure you that its a lot of hard work but i do believe the rewards are far greater than me having an offline business.
My #1 reason, it requires very low capital to start off with and a LOT of persistence to carry on.

Hope this helps

Cheers

puti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 09:26 PM   #5
WebGuruSteve

Default New Business

I think the best advise I can give is to come up with some ideas for a business that they would enjoy working in. Then do some market research to see if the ideas are something that they can make a business out of. The last thing anyone wants is be be stuck with a business that turns into a grind.

I recently did a web site for a woman who is retired and started a business around creating cheese trays out of wine bottles. She is having a great time with this business as she travels to many fairs and showcases her work. She just loves it!

Check out her website: http://fabulousglass.com/

WebGuruSteve is offline   Reply With Quote