Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd September 2004, 12:31 PM   #1
StupidScript
Administrator

Default Overture Match Type Changes

According to an email notice from Overture, received this morning:
Quote:
"On or about October 2, 2004, Overture will combine the Broad and Phrase match types into a single "Advanced" match type. After that time, we will no longer individually offer the Broad and Phrase match types. More detailed information will be provided prior to the change."
What the heck does this mean for us? I understand that it's related to the new PPC positioning formula that went into effect several weeks ago. It seems to be saying on the surface that there will be no distinction made between broad and phrase match types.

Sounds like the heavy use of phrase matching wasn't generating enough income for them, so they're lumping the far less targetted, lower ROI and much more expensive broad terms into the pool.

Thoughts? More info?

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th September 2004, 10:17 PM   #2
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I got the same email. I can't give any thoughts to why they're making the change, but I did receive a good article about the change from a newsletter I subscribe to. Hopefully this helps.

Paul

Old 8th September 2004, 10:21 AM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I think it essentially means they are now going to generate more revenue.

Old 8th September 2004, 01:33 PM   #4
StupidScript
Administrator

Paul,

The article seems to be saying that exact, phrase and broad match choices will still be available to the advertiser in the DTC. I see that the date of the article is 20040903, which does make it recent, however I'm not sure it is reflective of the changes from phrase and broad to Advanced in the Overture notice.

Old 8th September 2004, 02:29 PM   #5
StupidScript
Administrator

Default Hmmm ...

I received an unusual message from Overture Premium Services, this morning. It is unusual because it had an attached spreadsheet containing all of the "Standard" (exact) match terms from one of our account and their monthly average impressions, clicks and CPC listed in Standard, Phrase and Broad columns to illustrate the differences in Overture traffice between the three types of matches for those terms. The layout is a bit disingenuous, in that it provides totals for each term using an aggregate of all three match types, which of course is irrelevant as we can only pick one type.

Included in the spreadsheet are suggested match type modifications from the Preimum rep. They suggest we change all of our terms from Standard to Broad match. (!)

Side question: Phrase and Broad matches previously included Standard (exact) matches in their results. What will happen with Advanced matches?

I expect most Overture advertisers will be receiving a similar message and spreadsheet. It's not hard to understand. They made Content Match opt-out so they could access everyone's campaigns when they rolled out that service (they needed something to sell to affiliates), and they are encouraging advertisers to allow them to include as many terms as possible into the new "Advanced" match type when it rolls out so they will reap the harvest of increased CPCs.

Like that earlier rollout, the notice about the new Advanced match was a secondary item in an ignorable message about changes to the Terms and Conditions. Do you guys read those all the way through? Neither did I, until the Content Match fiasco made me realize that they bury important notices in their newsletters and such. I even read the maintenance messages, now!

I await more information from the Overture Premium Services rep.

Last edited by StupidScript; 8th September 2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 9th September 2004, 03:28 AM   #6
PPCPro

Default Default Broad Match

What this simply means is Overture would have two options now: Standard(exact match) and Advanced Match(Broad).

Example: Suppose the advanced match option is selected for a certain keyword,say, poster. It would cover(or display the listing) for any keyword phrase that contains the word poster. So, if someone types in "paris hilton poster", the ad would still appear. Also, since this is a default option now, unless you change the match option to standard it would automatically display your ad as mentioned above.

Overture benefits because it means a jump in cost per click as well as number of clicks.

Chk out this article by Danny: http://searchenginewatch.com/searchd...le.php/3403041

Cheers!

PPCPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2004, 12:53 PM   #7
StupidScript
Administrator

Currently, there is no distinction between exact and phrase and broad match ad positioning, as that is determined by the bid.

Can we expect this to continue?

Perhaps now the exact matches will be on top as being most relevant and the broad matches will be beneath those, as they are not likely to be as relevant?

Perhaps, more likely, the more expensive broad matches will crowd out the exact matches, forcing the bids for exact match terms up into the broad match arena?

It's only a few weeks away from being implemented. I do hope they dribble out more information before it happens, to allow us to prepare a balanced strategy.

Old 16th September 2004, 02:27 PM   #8
StupidScript
Administrator

Quote:
Currently, there is no distinction between exact and phrase and broad match ad positioning, as that is determined by the bid.
I was incorrect about that, sorry. I've been talking with the OVT reps extensively over the past few days. Here's how the listings appear in relation to bids and match type (bear with me):

My Term: red widgets
My MaxBid: $1.00

Standard (exact) search: red widgets
Next lowest bid for advertisers using the same Standard match: $0.98
My position: #1
My CPC: $0.99

Advanced (broad/phrase) searches: need red widgets, red metal widgets
Next lowest bid for advertisers who qualify for Advanced match: $0.45
My position: #1 Advanced result AFTER Standard match results (so maybe #7 overall)
My CPC: $0.46

When someone searches for "red widgets", my Standard match kicks in, and I pay a penny more than whatever another advertiser who also has "red widgets" has bid. My ad is positioned at the top of the PPC results, as highest Standard bidder.

When someone searches for "red metal widgets", those advertisers who have that Standard term (red metal widgets) get displayed on top of the PPC results, and once the Standard bidders are all listed, then I pay a penny more than whatever another advertiser who qualified for Advanced match (but not Standard match) has bid. My ad is positioned at the top of the Advanced PPC results, which appear following all of the Standard PPC results. Depending on how many advertisers bid for the Standard (exact) term, I might end up, say, #7 in the overall PPC results.

Old 16th September 2004, 05:31 PM   #9
StupidScript
Administrator

Yeesh! Yet another correction after speaking with our rep, today. When will it end?

Okay ... bids are separate for Standard and Advanced match types. I was paying less for Advanced clicks because our bid was lower for those.

Also our position was lower, because Standard (exact) matches DO show up on top of the PPC heap, followed by Advanced.

So ... I'm flailing wildly. <begging your understanding>

Old 22nd September 2004, 01:01 PM   #10
StupidScript
Administrator

Default New notice received this morning

In the message I received this morning, Overture says:
Quote:
* Advanced will encompass both Phrase and Broad match types-You
will no longer designate one or the other. Your current Phrase
and/or Broad match type listings will become Advanced match
type listings at the time of launch.

* Advanced will leverage your existing keywords-You won't have
to add keywords or receive additional editorial review.

* Advanced will use the same bid as Standard-One bid means no
more managing multiple bids.

* Advanced will offer excluded words at the account level-You
will be able to select excluded words across your entire
account or for each individual listing.

You won't have to do anything to change your current Phrase
and Broad keywords to Advanced. They will be switched
automatically as early as October 2. If your Phrase or Broad
bids differ from your Standard bids, they will default to the
Standard bid amount when the Advanced match type launches.

You may opt out of Phrase and Broad match types at any time
before the Advanced match type launch. You can also opt in and
out of the Advanced match type at any time after the launch
using the Match Types option within the DirecTraffic Center®.

Overture's new Advanced match type provides simplified bidding,
easier account management and the opportunity to drive more
traffic. It launches as early as October 2, so watch for it.
So those lower bids you once placed for phrase and broad matches will be replaced with your higher exact bids when this launches.

There will be virtually no distinction between the match types. Standard bid = Advanced bid. Searches will match either for the same price, eliminating any differences in them.

Essentially Overture is going back to ONE match type, except this time it's broad instead of exact.

They say they are responding to advertiser requests. Hmm. "Please give us less choice and force us to pay more for the same traffic!" Sound like an advertiser request?