Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th March 2012, 10:24 PM   #1
SoMotivated28

Question Some Insight Needed And/or Opinions.

As some say, opinions are worth spit as the only person to really listen to is yourself. But the truth of the matter is, opinions helps create a clearer vision as to which advice to accept and which to neglect.

This thread is geared more towards those who have had success with having their own business, whether it is fairly a start up or something that has been established for quite some time.

Being that self-made companies, ideas of businesses, and the young business owners are growing, my main question of insight/opinion is this. .

Are you born to be a business owner or is being a business owner a learned drive from within?

Some young business owners seem to be bred that way. Born in to wealthy families that have a very high demand for schooling, creating a future for their children, very hard working, driven background. Others came from nothing, with no guidance, but their own drive and will power to create a nicer life for themselves. Maybe even have low educational background as well.

From your experiences, did you feel that you were meant to be a business owner? Had it in you to start and run a business? If some of you don't mind, what is your educational background?

How did you come up with your business idea?

I would love to hear some feed-back. Thank you in advance.

SoMotivated28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th March 2012, 06:16 AM   #2
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

I am from an engineering/IT background. Business is just something I learnt in order to pursue my dream of having my own company.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 03:21 PM   #3
cfoservices

I don't think you are born a business owner. For me it was too many politics in corporate America and as a result not able to control my own destiny. I love the unlimited income potential of being in a small business versus the Corporate America. Those were my driving motivations. I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Babson College.

Old 18th May 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
printnstyle

Some people from the get go are obviously not business people. However, jump into the water and you may eventually learn how to move around it, provided of course you have the necessary safety measure in place. In business, even if you don't initially know what you are doing, you get to learn by doing and making your own mistakes.

printnstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Billieg

There are 4 different types of personalities and the A-type, the driver, go getter is usually the ones with their own business. The C-type comes in next, the serious, analytical ones whom desire to do it their way.

If you don't have greatest urge to be your own boss and the willingness to starve and fight for what you want then go work for someone else because you won't make it.

It took me 3 years to break even on my current business and in that time my wife and I starved, were evicted many times and had to do a second jobs to survive. We always believed in our business and kept on trying no matter what others said.

Unless you are very lucky it will take a lot of time, determination, learning and hard work to succeed.

Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 01:21 AM   #6
harryt

You are not born to be anything - everything is learned. Look at a combination of your skills, passion, and what the market want to decide whether business is for you. I run my own consulting firm and have worked with many business owners over time. They are driven by very different things.

Business owners know what they want, are not shy to ask for help. To build a substantial business the ability to "work with people" is essential. Can you build a team, lead, manage?

Very small business owners often are driven by the need for independence, but I found that they never grow since they cannot work with other and tend to micro-manage. That said, they are often quite happy with what they have and are doing. Others, who grow more substantial businesses with a number of staff/branches are good at leading and managing people. But even in this case it can be quite different.

I have a Master in Business Leadership, but many business owners I know have no education beyond high school. Educated people are often not the best entrepreneurs but I can be wrong here. Real education is when you can actually accomplish something rather than just knowledge.

I "fell" into it. I always wanted to work with business owners and am interested in management and leadership. I think it is a combination of "upbringing", formal learning and mentors that influence you.

Lastly, business ownership is not for everyone and there is no disgrace in working for others. Do not go into business because you do not want a boss. You will find many "bosses", customers being the main one.

harryt is offline   Reply With Quote