Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th November 2013, 10:37 AM   #1
curlyhawk

Lightbulb Do Free Sites Rank Better Than Paid Hosting Sites?

I've been building websites for quite a while now and I've noticed that it is much easier to get my free websites to rank than it is to get some other domain name to rank well.

I use Google Sites to build a lot of sites. My url looks like sites.google.com/whatever.

When you look up the # of links to "sites.google.com" using "links:sites.google.com", you find that there are about 414,000,000 results.

Does this have an impact on my PR?

curlyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:01 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

By "PR" do you mean "PageRank" (as in the component of Google's old pre-Hummingbird algorithm)? Or are you referring to rank (as in where your pages rank in the SERPs)?

If it's the former, the answer is no. PageRank is calculated based on the number of links pointing to an individual page. It's not calculated on a site-wide or domain-wide basis, so it doesn't matter how many links are pointing to other pages on "sites.google.com" domains -- the only thing that matters for PR for any individual page is the number and weight of the links pointing to that page.

If it's the second, it's still no. Rankings are based on over 200 factors, of which the number of links is only one. Again, rankings are assigned to individual pages and will change depending on the searcher's query and their own personal search history, so the gross number of links pointing to other unrelated pages that happen to reside on the same domain won't make any difference. (Especially considering this is a domain which Google is perfectly aware houses many separate websites that have nothing to do with each other and thus should not have any influence on the rest.)

As I mentioned, rankings are query-dependent (especially post-Hummingbird, with Google now trying to discern user intent instead of blindly focusing on the "keywords" they actually typed in to the search box). And they will vary depending on the user's search history. Google has been personalizing rankings for some time now. So it could be said there's actually no such thing as "a" ranking for any given page.

What's much more important to measure these days is traffic and conversions.

My :02:

--Torka

Old 25th November 2013, 11:40 AM   #3
curlyhawk

Smile Hummingbird?

I've been up in the mountains for quite a while and didn't have electricity there. Let alone the internet.

Now it's 5 years later and I'm just getting back into this whole internet thing...

Thanks for the feedback. I really have no idea what Hummingbird is...

By PR, I mean where my pages appear in SERP's.

I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'm getting good traffic...

Old 26th November 2013, 07:17 AM   #4
VishalBhatt123

According to Page rank, If free domain hosting has valued backlinks than it rank well otherwise paid domain hosting has valued back link than it rank well.
According to SERP, your site popularity becomes high than it becomes rank well in Google SERP.

Old 26th November 2013, 03:19 PM   #5
curlyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishalBhatt123 View Post
According to Page rank, If free domain hosting has valued backlinks than it rank well otherwise paid domain hosting has valued back link than it rank well.
According to SERP, your site popularity becomes high than it becomes rank well in Google SERP.
I see.

I also find it strange that my website made with Google Sites ranks much higher in Bing than in Google which is fine with me as long as it's getting hits, but it just seems odd.

I just discovered that last night. I never use Bing, but I wanted to check out the results for my phrases and was really happy with what I saw. I have no clue about Bing's algorithm though.

Old 26th November 2013, 06:03 PM   #6
cjbarnaby

Send a message via Skype™ to cjbarnaby

Chasing ranking is probably one of the hardest games in SEO. Sure you can have quality links pushing your site up but for how long? Hummingbird the latest iteration in a series of google algo changes is making it clearer and clearer that seo isn't going to get any easier as their ability to detect unnatural linking becomes smarter.

IMNSHO it is a lot wiser to be more concerned with having a well tuned site and offering up your content by finding other places to market whatever you are marketing. A well tuned site being one that is seo'd reasonably without being a ridiculous read for a viewer and one that has an excellent theme and layout that is targeted for the end user and not some graphic designers whims. Keep it simple stupid and reponsive ie ( workable across all devices ) and you are on a winner. Offer free content to build an email list and stop chasing rank in google as it is near impossible to beat a company with multi-billion dollar backing.

Cheers
Chris

cjbarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
curlyhawk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbarnaby View Post
stop chasing rank in google as it is near impossible to beat a company with multi-billion dollar backing.
I would have to disagree with that statement. Less than a year ago I had 4-5 of the top ten results for tons of keywords and got nearly 2 million hits on $0 budget.

If I had billions of dollars, I'd use Adwords...

Last edited by curlyhawk; 27th November 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 27th November 2013, 07:52 PM   #8
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyhawk View Post
I would have to disagree with that statement. Less than a year ago I had 4-5 of the top ten results for tons of keywords and got nearly 2 million hits on $0 budget.

If I had billions of dollars, I'd use Adwords...
I would have to agree with this! Very well said!

Old 27th November 2013, 08:32 PM   #9
curlyhawk

I'm not trying to be confrontational with what I said above. I'm just saying that I put in 4 months of 12 hour days to pull that off. If I charged someone for my time, I would put a price tag on it of about $21,600 at $15/hour(cheap). That's a nice Adwords budget.

Last edited by curlyhawk; 27th November 2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:31 PM   #10
remadeinfo

Ranking algorithm is same for all, free or paid..

When you create a site with Google, it is created on sub domain so it is completely a new sub domain name, if you have done good on-page optimization it will rank... since it is a program if Google so it may have some extra previlage, it may have connection with other Google programs, community, website speed, stander template which is SEO friendly etc.

remadeinfo is offline   Reply With Quote