Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st July 2011, 07:22 AM   #1
3Aces

Send a message via Skype™ to 3Aces
Default Review My News Website

Hi!

I have this news blog. It's been up and running for almost 3 months now and gets 100-150 views per day on average. Sometimes it's a bit higher and sometimes lil lower. I also get an approx 1%CTR on ads. Can you guys advice be reg the website. How does it look and load and how to get it higher up on the SE rankings.

Blog Name: http://newzchief.com

Thanks.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st July 2011, 10:52 AM   #2
jgbreeden

Default Looks good to me

I like it--it's well organized, looks like a serious news site, responds well. After reading an article, I wound up 3 links deep, momentarily forgetting I was just reviewing the site. That is quite a statement.

The only possible negative that crossed my mind was that some of the featured stories seemed dated.

I've gotten frustrated with Yahoo news lately, there must be a lot of people who would check out a new option for better news aggregator.

jgbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 02:19 PM   #3
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I agree. Site works well. I am not a typical 'news site' visitor... so I may be looking at things a little differently.

My big question is... how do you expect to monetize the site?

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 07:14 PM   #4
3Aces

@Jgbreeden and BeTheBest... thanks for the approval and encouragement.

I will keep your comments in mind and try to improve upon them.

About monetizing the website, honestly I don't have a great plan at hand. This is my first ever website which has gone further than 4 posts and so this is the first time I can actually think of monetizing the thing. I had put some amazon banners initially but I felt that I needed some authority first and so decided to take off all ad blocks and everything except Google Adsense. Still, it's not doing too well - garners 100-200 views a day and 1-2 clicks on most days (averaging 1-10 cents a day for the past few weeks). It's 3 months old... and without any mentionable backlinking or ANY support of any kind, this is okay I guess.

But adsense is not even beginning to cover my investment so far. I do hope the prospects get better in the next few months, but in the meanwhile I would be glad to try out ANY monetizing suggestions that you guys can offer.

So - any suggestion wrt the site, marketing and monetization are welcome.

Last edited by 3Aces; 1st July 2011 at 07:21 PM.
3Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 08:18 PM   #5
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Ok... well that's better then nothing.
With respect to Google Adsense... I would ditch it. It will only distract from your visitors. Now, if you want a real neat secret... are you ready???

I would suggest you categorize the news you follow. Start building a niche. You will also need a newsletter to start building followers.

Then, I would start to get a little controversial. That will turn some off... and that's ok. But the followers will love it. Right now, you're trying to be EVERYTHING to EVERYONE. Not going to happen (unless you're a google). So why not be THE BE ALL AND END ALL OF A SOLID FOLLOWING??

Now follow that bouncing ball, ok???

Why categorize?? I would do that in a way that you could write articles about your news. I would suggest that you register at EZineArticles.com and become an author. You don't have to be the biggest. Just get there.

The trick with EZA is that their site gets crawled all over all the time. You put an article on that site, it will start appearing in search within hours sometimes.

So.. now just figure out how to tie it all together. Be sure your EZA titles are going to GRAB people. Make your resource box work well too.

I am not going to connect all the dots for you... because if you got this far, you can figure it out yourself. Eventually, you will develop a product that you will sell to your list. THE MONEY IS IN THE LIST.... right now, that's all you got.

Look... I can tell you that in the Daily Deal world... (like Groupon sites... you know...) there is a blogger that is making HUGE dollars because of his list. He only features some sites... (now this is the part I really don't understand why his followers have not figured out...) but he only features sites that PAY HIM $1000 a month for banner ads. He then claims 'these are the best deals'. He drives a ton of traffic to these sites... and they continue to pay him... because of HIS LIST!

I am not telling you that you should do the same... I am telling you that you MUST develop the list... you will figure out what to do with it later.

Hey... ever hear of Facebook?? They were really only worth a ton of money because of subscribers. I am telling you... develop the list!

Good luck! I hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 04:36 AM   #6
3Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
Ok... well that's better then nothing.
With respect to Google Adsense... I would ditch it. It will only distract from your visitors.
I won't mind ditching GAdsense if I have some solid AND working alternative.

Quote:
Now, if you want a real neat secret... are you ready???
Yeah.. I am ready!!

Quote:
I would suggest you categorize the news you follow. Start building a niche. You will also need a newsletter to start building followers.
I do have a newsletter in place. Though this is being handled by a free wp plugin... I have few subscribers (only 5-7 people cared to subscribe and few of them didn't confirm the subscription). Though I do get comments on the blog every now and then. Should I take help of aweber or something. I am wary of spending too much on stuff though I won't be getting much out of a list .. but I understand that it can help in the future....any advise and comments on this would be appreciated.
Niche? It's basically a general news site ... I won't mind building a niche but I see that I get most views for general world news (like the latest scandals) and hot political news.

Quote:
Then, I would start to get a little controversial. That will turn some off... and that's ok. But the followers will love it. Right now, you're trying to be EVERYTHING to EVERYONE. Not going to happen (unless you're a google). So why not be THE BE ALL AND END ALL OF A SOLID FOLLOWING??
That's greattttt advise.. I will certainly try to get more controversial, that should ensure more participation. Thanks for this advice!!!

Quote:
Now follow that bouncing ball, ok???
Woof woof lol... yes, I will follow that boucing ball as far as I can manage on my fat legs lol.

Quote:
Why categorize?? I would do that in a way that you could write articles about your news. I would suggest that you register at EZineArticles.com and become an author. You don't have to be the biggest. Just get there.

The trick with EZA is that their site gets crawled all over all the time. You put an article on that site, it will start appearing in search within hours sometimes.

So.. now just figure out how to tie it all together. Be sure your EZA titles are going to GRAB people. Make your resource box work well too.
I know about eza. I have been an eza author for 2 years now and have over 1600 articles live on eza..... SHOUTOUT : People come hire me
Quote:
I am not going to connect all the dots for you... because if you got this far, you can figure it out yourself. Eventually, you will develop a product that you will sell to your list. THE MONEY IS IN THE LIST.... right now, that's all you got.
Long term - money is in the list - yes that's right. I can use the list for other marketing ventures of mine... but what should I do for now? Building a list will not monetize itself per se.... unless I funnel my readers to some other sites, or maybe start pushing (affiliate or otherwise) products? I am rather fuzzy about how to monetize this site - and have been mulling over pulling the plug on one of the adsense (vertical) banner and replacing that with amazon and other affiliate products - don't know if that is going to help - I mean just putting those ads there...

Quote:
Look... I can tell you that in the Daily Deal world... (like Groupon sites... you know...) there is a blogger that is making HUGE dollars because of his list. He only features some sites... (now this is the part I really don't understand why his followers have not figured out...) but he only features sites that PAY HIM $1000 a month for banner ads. He then claims 'these are the best deals'. He drives a ton of traffic to these sites... and they continue to pay him... because of HIS LIST!
I see where you are going.... but as of now, I don't picture anybody paying me even $1 for the banner ads.. plus I don't know how to get the word out that I am offering banner space (some spoonfeeding in terms of existing sites that can take me up on that offer -CPA/CPM would be great).
Quote:
I am not telling you that you should do the same... I am telling you that you MUST develop the list... you will figure out what to do with it later.
I appreciate your advice and I have that "subscription form" in place on (what I view as) strategic places on the site ...

Quote:
Hey... ever hear of Facebook?? They were really only worth a ton of money because of subscribers. I am telling you... develop the list!

Good luck! I hope this helps!
Yeah, I did hear of Facebook maybe I'll check it out one of these days since you say they are worth tons of money lol.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will appreciate and welcome more constructive criticism and further comments from BeTheBest and others over here on the forum.

Old 10th July 2011, 12:58 PM   #7
tycoonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aces View Post
Hi!

I have this news blog. It's been up and running for almost 3 months now and gets 100-150 views per day on average. Sometimes it's a bit higher and sometimes lil lower. I also get an approx 1%CTR on ads. Can you guys advice be reg the website. How does it look and load and how to get it higher up on the SE rankings.

Blog Name: http://newzchief.com

Thanks.
Here is what you need to amend:
  • The footer background color size is short
  • The font size of the footer is too small, increase the size to 12px at least
  • The page is too large/wide.
  • The logo is poor
  • The search box need a button

But its has good content and load time is average.

tycoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 02:34 PM   #8
3Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonist View Post
Here is what you need to amend:
  • The footer background color size is short
  • The font size of the footer is too small, increase the size to 12px at least
  • The page is too large/wide.
  • The logo is poor
  • The search box need a button

But its has good content and load time is average.

When you say "The footer background color size is short", you lose me!! Can you kindly explain how the "color size" is short. sorry it is too noob for you !

"The font size of the footer is too small, increase the size to 12px at least" .. I will do that... though I would like it if you could tell me why footer is so important?

"The logo is poor" agreed !! I will get on that right now.

"The search box need a button" you mean a button like "go"? Will try to add that...actually I am using a free theme and don't know too much of coding.. but I guess I may be able to manage that myself.... Thanks for the feedback. Would like to hear what else you have to say ... maybe some good ideas about monetizing?

Old 21st July 2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Ted GWL

I agree with the first couple guys that day the site looks good. It looks fairly professional. You have done a good job there.

If you want to make money with Adsense on the website then I would do two main things:
1) Get a lot more domain authority for the website
2) Start working trends especially product trends

In order to get more domain authority for a website you need to get links from a wide variety of sources. I think the quickest and easiest way for a one man business to accomplish this is through blog commenting. Look at a website called comluv.com. Use it to find blogs to comment on. Sign up as a registered user over at Commentluv.com. Take some time to read about how those sites can benefit you. By commenting on websites that use Commentluv, you will be able to get links to the deep pages on your website. That is what your news blog needs.

Your feed should be sent to as many RSS news feed aggregators as possible. That will help give each new news story a pop as soon as you publish it. I would also probably go buy a couple of blogroll style links to get more Google juice.

How will you know when you have enough juice? You should be getting your stories in the top three search results (often times number one) for their page title within one day of publishing them. If that is not happening, then you need more inbound links. With enough links this will happen in minutes.
I speak from experience on this one. I ran a news blog (niche news) that got pretty much every single article ranked in position one in Google in a matter of minutes after publishing. People will think I am full of it, but I promise you that it is a lot easier than you think. Google loves news. They canít get enough of it. All you need is enough link juice.

You should also be promoting every single post using a service like Onlywire or Ping.fm. They will allow you to publish social media links and social bookmark links from twenty or more sources immediately after you publish a new story. This stuff is critical. For the big news outlets, pretty much every story they publish gets hit with social media links by the dozens instantaneously. Google will love it if yours does too.

Work Trends Too

More specifically you should be working product trends. When you write articles about politics and other national news like that, there is very little Adwords competition. The ads pay a few cents instead of a buck or more.

You need to be working on stories that are related to new product releases and things of that nature. You want to write stories about brand new gadgets that are rising in popularity like crazy. Those are the kinds of things that advertisers will bid on. They want people to buy those products from them. Do you see what I mean? What kind of product can you sell to someone who is reading about the debt debate in Washington? You are going to have one hell of a time targeting them with ads.

I hope my suggestions help. I think you are on your way to success if you keep working at it and keep experimenting.

If you would like to reciprocate the favor of a review, I would like you to review an article that I wrote. Look under the reviews section on this site for where I say that I Need Your Opinion About My Content. I donít need a website review as my website is only one day old. I am still working on it. But a review of that article would be much appreciated.

Old 22nd July 2011, 01:04 AM   #10
DROID

BetheBest has a good point about finding a niche. I hate to say it, but as the sole operator, I don't think you can or should try and match huffington post.. at least not yet.

I started a blog back in Feb 26th called Groupthink.biz ( http://groupthink.biz/ ).. my SECOND blog failure actually. The first was gogetterblog.blogspot.com .

Groupthink.biz tried to be ALL THINGS TO ALL PEOPLE. I wrote about everything. I even "hired" 2 people to write and come up with ideas.

I closed the blog down for several reasons:

1. I had no niche. At first I thought this wouldn't be an issue as the purpose of my blog was to be a crowdsourced blog where people could essentially write and post their own content, but I never got followers

note: read the "about us page" we also tried to have some controversial topics, but with no readers, it was futile . Don't try to be the nice guy and only write stuff that everyone will agree to.

2. At first, the name Groupthink.biz seemed like a cool name. It wasn't till a few months in, that I was told that the phrase "groupthink" has a negative connotation to it. I did some more reading about the phrase and they were right.

3. my "news" was simply reworded from other people's mouths. I'm not sure if this is really a bad thing per-say, but it was hard to try and come up with original content.

4. This may not be an issue for you, but make sure your articles are well written. Grammar and spelling errors turn people off. I'm not the best writer around, and didn't have the money..or let me re-phrase.. didn't want to pay a lot for an editor.

Good luck with the site!. I like it a lot.

DROID is offline   Reply With Quote