Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Marketplace
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th July 2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Daytimer

Question Lookin For Mentor/Handholder

First I want to thank anyone who has taken the time to read this post.
I decided about a month ago to try my hand at affiliate marketing and got my self a clickbank account. But it seems every where that I put my links they get marked as spam , so I haven't had any success so far.
What I need is a mentor. Someone who can point me in the right direction and hold my hand for the first few steps and straighten me up when I wobble.
I work a 12 hour nightshift and due to supporting my mother and my family I have very little money to invest but I'm willing to do all I can even if it hurts , and I have little time after work due to exhaustion but I'm still gonna give it my all.
I need help deciphering all the acronyms and jargon and some pointers and encouragement maybe.
I don't have a website or a clue as to how to start one , I am a member t a few forums and social networks , will these be enough to start out ?
Do think my demanding work schedule will allow time for what I need to do?
I've seen several people claiming to make a living at this and I'm also curious is the living they are making is minimum wage lving or upper middle class or better?
So thanks ahead for any comments , I will try to make use of any and everything I can . I just feel a desperate need to succeed at this.

Daytimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th July 2011, 02:17 AM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi Daytimer,

I will try to help you the best I can.

First of all, please know that I am not a fan of affiliate marketing. It's really difficult. You DO NOT have control over the product... or how the customer is handled after the sale... or any of that. But YOU DO all the work.

The first thing that scares me about your story is that you don't have a website. That's a problem. Yes... there are all those guys selling ways to make money without a site... but they have site, don't they?

To start a site... you can do it the hard way... with an HTML editor, or you can get a 'CMS' or Content Management System' like Wordpress (I mention them because it's free... and very popular). With a CMS, you really don't need to know a lot HTML. The CMS does all the 'heavy lifting' for your. You just type and add images. Pretty simple.

The other issue is that you have a real long road ahead of you. There are some technical issues YOU MUST know... and you will have to spend some money to get your mailing list started (about $20 a month... maybe less). But all of this requires a website.

Also... there really are several people CLAIMING to be making big money on line. I can tell you that in 2004, I started a website that with hosting, auto responder (email list service) and all that, my total annual costs were to be about $1,100. I said to myself that if I made $1 more than the costs in the first year, I would keep pushing. Not trying to boast... but the site sold in the LOW 5 DIGITS the very first year. Now, that's not huge. And... I didn't set my goals very high... mostly because the people in the industry told me that it would never work.... and there I was. Today, the sales are several times higher.

So... now, I don't know if I discouraged you ... or if you still want to do this. But first of all... you have to take the step to get a website started.

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing your reply.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote