Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th February 2010, 10:03 PM   #1
wallionmick

Default Pros And Cons Of Online Business ?

Hi Everyone !!!
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of on line business ???

wallionmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:37 AM   #2
PTF

Perhaps if you could ask a more specific question... (that's a bit like just asking "should I start a business").

What sort of business are you considering? Do you have business experience already and looking to go online, or are you new to the whole thing?

Tell us a bit about what you're trying to do and I'm sure you'll get some help.

PTF

Old 18th February 2010, 04:31 AM   #3
SanWay
VIP Contributor

I think at present if you want to be successful you have to go online as well as have some physical business. That's the reality. One of the advantages - you get larger audience but at the same time one of the disadvantages is not all people have access to the Internet.

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 07:04 PM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi wallionmick!
You don't mention what type of business, retail?? Wholesale?? Distribution. I would suggest that either way, you need a website. But your business will determine how badly you need to get that site 'out there'.

The problem with being online is that, no matter what anyone says, it takes time and work to establish yourself and your site. On the other hand, it can be the most rewarding work you do.

If I were starting today, I would be working hard to build my online as my bricks and mortar carries the weight. But when online is built right, it's wild. Unless you really know somebody who is online in a big way (I am full time) you may never see the way it can really work. Rewarding and you get to meet (so to say) a lot of great people.

Good luck. I hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Jaime M.

Lightbulb Cons&pros to online businesses

<-----IN MY OPINION----->

Cons:

#1) In some cases, selling any products online may be harder than selling them offline. While in offline world you do business with people face to face, but in the online world of business, you need to get them to visit your website.

#2) Unless you have an advertising budget to spend, (in order to drive traffic to your site), you will have to learn how to do that in as many free ways as you can find. This can take a lot of work, & a lot people are not willing to do that.

#3) Does takes time to learn the steps and all the skills you need to know.

Pros:

#1) Online businesses can make you a lot of money because they are open 24 hours a day. This means you can potentially earn money every day of the week around the clock.

#2) You do not need to hire any employees to run your online business. (unless you need to outsource jobs that you yourself are unsure how to do)

#3) It is relatively inexpensive to do. As a matter of fact many internet business opportunities can be started for little or no money out of your pocket.

#4) Once you learn, ONE TIME, the basics and all the other information & skills you need to know/develop( in order to run your online business)...., you will not need to learn again. You just need to learn it once so if you devote the time into it, you will be able to operate your own business. A lot of times things appear to be more difficult just because it looks scary...once you get into learning how to do certain aspects, you can see its not that difficult.

================================================== =====

ON A IMPORTANT PERSONAL TIP......I was a complete newbie myself and completely unknowledgeable to the whole having your own online business concept. And this was only 3 mths ago! In all seriousness!!! So I do know how it is. Now I know, or have access to all the information and tools I could possibly need. And now I am running my own online web business, building websites, configuring web pages, link building, inserting web codes into my page, etc. This is all stuff I never thought I would be able to learn or do on my own. So i really can say if I can do it, I know a lot more people can if they just take control & give it an honest try! Make a way for yourself! I hope all this helped you in your decision.....

Please PM me if you would like me to go into exactly how I ran across these tools and information that allowed me to get my web business up so fast, and that gave me the know how, instead of the usual run around. I know how that is. So I want to help people find the basic info they need, but most importantly how to get the knowledge and skills, so that they can know everything that is going on in their web business. It calls for a certain type of character to become a successful online marketer / online business owner. If you have that character and chose to overcome all the initial obstacles. There is nothing that could stop you from building a very successful and profitable business online. Remember anything worthwhile is never easy.

Best Of Wishes To You,
Jaime M.

Jaime M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 05:51 AM   #6
brain

Pros:
You can earn a lot as majority of people round the globe are using online medium to buy relevant products.

You can cater to a particular niche by offering customized products

You don't even need to set up your own business. simply become a member of any free lancing portal and start earning (people have earned millions and made companies simply by earning via free lancing portals)

Cons:
Its not as easy as people think it is. You need to understand a lot that's going on in online marketing in order to make your product visible and available to your customers.

Competition is very tough as you can offer services to people round the globe.

brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 07:25 AM   #7
StaceySunday

I recommend checking out the SBA, Entrepreneur, The Start Up Journal & Nolo. All four are great informational resources for the new/small business owner.

StaceySunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 12:58 AM   #8
Landon01

All online businesses have their pros and cons and every business it is different. You have to research about the business thoroughly before you invest your time and money into it. Advertising can be an advantage. It takes lot of time to earn money.

Last edited by Landon01; 8th March 2010 at 04:43 AM.
Landon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 05:33 AM   #9
David Morson

I know of only Pros. I have not experienced any Con of the online business yet and also pros can be converted into cons through efforts and effective planning.

David Morson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 11:08 AM   #10
janicejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime M. View Post
<-----IN MY OPINION----->

Cons:

#1) In some cases, selling any products online may be harder than selling them offline. While in offline world you do business with people face to face, but in the online world of business, you need to get them to visit your website.

#2) Unless you have an advertising budget to spend, (in order to drive traffic to your site), you will have to learn how to do that in as many free ways as you can find. This can take a lot of work, & a lot people are not willing to do that.

#3) Does takes time to learn the steps and all the skills you need to know.

Pros:

#1) Online businesses can make you a lot of money because they are open 24 hours a day. This means you can potentially earn money every day of the week around the clock.

#2) You do not need to hire any employees to run your online business. (unless you need to outsource jobs that you yourself are unsure how to do)

#3) It is relatively inexpensive to do. As a matter of fact many internet business opportunities can be started for little or no money out of your pocket.

#4) Once you learn, ONE TIME, the basics and all the other information & skills you need to know/develop( in order to run your online business)...., you will not need to learn again. You just need to learn it once so if you devote the time into it, you will be able to operate your own business. A lot of times things appear to be more difficult just because it looks scary...once you get into learning how to do certain aspects, you can see its not that difficult.

================================================== =====

ON A IMPORTANT PERSONAL TIP......I was a complete newbie myself and completely unknowledgeable to the whole having your own online business concept. And this was only 3 mths ago! In all seriousness!!! So I do know how it is. Now I know, or have access to all the information and tools I could possibly need. And now I am running my own online web business, building websites, configuring web pages, link building, inserting web codes into my page, etc. This is all stuff I never thought I would be able to learn or do on my own. So i really can say if I can do it, I know a lot more people can if they just take control & give it an honest try! Make a way for yourself! I hope all this helped you in your decision.....

Please PM me if you would like me to go into exactly how I ran across these tools and information that allowed me to get my web business up so fast, and that gave me the know how, instead of the usual run around. I know how that is. So I want to help people find the basic info they need, but most importantly how to get the knowledge and skills, so that they can know everything that is going on in their web business. It calls for a certain type of character to become a successful online marketer / online business owner. If you have that character and chose to overcome all the initial obstacles. There is nothing that could stop you from building a very successful and profitable business online. Remember anything worthwhile is never easy.

Best Of Wishes To You,
Jaime M.

great addition, in each business there are lots of pros and cons. but we need to be aware of the cons to improve what we are doing.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote