Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Sales
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th April 2008, 03:18 PM   #1
mann01

Default What's The Best Way To Find A Wholesale Distributor?

Hello all, I have been trying to find a better distributor than I currently have for quite some time now. We are mainly a small computer sales and service company working out of a single location with about 10 employees.

We typically like to keep computers and parts in stock for sale out of our showroom but it is hard to keep our prices fairly competitive with other small computer companies in our area. It seems like they must be getting the same parts for a better price through some distributor.

My question is, where can I find a distributor for computers and computer parts that will give me slightly better wholesale prices so that I may stay competitive with other local retailers.

mann01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th April 2008, 07:13 PM   #2
pete
VIP Contributor

I don't come here to sell my products, but in this case I might be able to help.

Elsewhere I seriously promote membership in a site that has literally tens of thousands of wholesale sources and dropshippers. It's actually a collection of over 30 lists, including at least one with computer components, with more wholesalers mixed in with the general lists, as well.

You'll find everything from Ingram Micro and TechData to the guy in the local business park.

If you'll click the bottom line in my signature, you'll see the sales page and can join if you like. Lifetime membership is $ 9.99 right now, but will be $ 12.99 within a few days. (As soon as I get my affiliate program finished up, by the end of the week, for sure.)

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 12:13 AM   #3
alison

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann01 View Post
Hello all, I have been trying to find a better distributor than I currently have for quite some time now. We are mainly a small computer sales and service company working out of a single location with about 10 employees.

We typically like to keep computers and parts in stock for sale out of our showroom but it is hard to keep our prices fairly competitive with other small computer companies in our area. It seems like they must be getting the same parts for a better price through some distributor.

My question is, where can I find a distributor for computers and computer parts that will give me slightly better wholesale prices so that I may stay competitive with other local retailers.
This would be easier to answer if you listed who your current distributors are. (If you want to send them to me privately, and have me do some research for you, that's okay.)

Computer Parts is a really vague and rather large category. Do you need Rack Mounts and Chassis or do you need Motherboards and chips?

Here are three ways that I love to find distributors for many industries:

A. Google and other Search Engines. Take the names of the two or three distributors you know now and do a Boolean Search with those names. (In other words, search for Distributor A, Distributor B and Distributor C; any list that has those 3 on it, probably has more.)

B. Look at the Distributor Attendees for Trade Shows in your Industry.

and

C. Call up stores like yours in other regions and ask what Distributors *they* use.

Also- if you are about to switch Distributors, it's worth a call to your current Distributor to let them know you aren't happy. If you have a dedicated sales rep at the Distributor, that rep may be able to give you better margins, increase your access to scarce parts or offer you other incentives to stay a customer. If they tell you can't get bennies (additional benefits) at your level, ask what it takes to get those benefits. Perhaps by consolidating your orders to make them larger you can get a bigger discount or perhaps by buying more of a specific product you can get rewarded.

Alison [email protected]

alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 04:07 PM   #4
K&G

You need to contact the manufacturers for the products you carry and ask them which distributors cover your area. It's quick, easy, and no time wasted with Google. Your manufacturers will be happy to give you options. As a bonus they will probably visit your store with sample products, POS materials, and lots of selling advice.

But don't try to beat the competition on every item. Every store is going to try to corner the market on a few items and they will consistently sell these items below retail. Pick a few items your customers will shop around for and try to be very competitive on these items. The rest you mark at regular retail. Don't be concerned when you customer says 'it's only $12 across town' because you can't beat every price on every item and stay in business. When your customer says it's cheaper somewhere else, have your pitch ready. They beat you sometimes, you beat them sometimes, but do you they want to spend gas and time chasing down a cheaper product? And when they need help and advice you will be there for them.

Be sure to put your best prices up front!

Also, with the price of gas skyrocketing, shoppers are finding that they don't want to drive across town or shop around. Focus on your neighborhood and the competition across the street, not across town.

And I wouldn't count on a distributor lowering their price because you need lower prices. if you are spending less than $5000 per week with them (like I am with mine) they will help you with sales and marketing suggestions and product suggestions, but they aren't going to lower the price.

K&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Good advice K&G, although I don't find many manufacturers looking to work direct. Often there is resistance. If that is the case, ask the manufacturer if they have a "manufacturer rep" that represents their products. If you can get a hold of manufacturer reps, they will often be the contacts that work directly representing the manufacturers. As you get in touch with one manufacturer repesentative, they will then in turn also be able to introduce you to other manufacturers. Try to find some good manufacturer reps, they can be worth their weight in gold! Often you will find many manufacturer reps at industry tradeshows if you are having difficulty.

Old 8th June 2008, 08:13 PM   #6
K&G

You're right, you'll get the most help from a minufatcurer's rep, and the manufacturer can steer you to one. In my industry (pets) dog and cat food producers have their own individual reps, but everything else is handled by manufacturer's reps. They will do everything from helping you develop your sales techniques to selecting the right product lines for your store. And they always come in the door bearing samples, POS materials, and new products to show off. They can also get you promotional discounts beyond what the distributor offers. Also, ask about in store coupons and frequent buyer programs to develop customer loyalty.

K&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Cheers K&G. Good to have you aboard and great contributions!

Old 17th November 2008, 02:29 AM   #8
andrewlm

There are many online Business Directories like Jigsaw.com and Businesspages.com available today. You can make use of them. You can locate the wholesalers city wise. This one is worked well for me. Try it out.

andrewlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 02:31 PM   #9
Elfen

You can also visit this page here http://www.whereorg.com/
it's always good to work
good luck!

Elfen is offline   Reply With Quote