Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2014, 10:39 AM   #1
danieldd

Send a message via Skype™ to danieldd
Default New Website Indexation Questions

So, last week I got my new project up and running. The website http://www.bestmove.co.uk is live but there are some indexation issues and questions that arose.

Not that I expect the site to get into Google's index right away, despite the fetch, and despite what the sitemap section says ("10 indexed pages"), I am curious whether anyone else has noticed the following thing:
- yesterday I made a link to one of the pages that couldn't be seen when you use the Google search operator "Site:domainname.com". After a few hours the page was already indexed, which got me wondering - does this happen every time, or is it just a one off?

In general, how do you get your website indexed fast? Do you wait for this to happen organically, or are there any tricks?

danieldd is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th June 2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Site's are indexed by google based on links (external and internal). Let it happen organically.

Take some time to learn how search works, straight from Google
http://www.google.com/insidesearch/h...orks/thestory/

Old 1st July 2014, 02:11 AM   #3
Johnbolton
VIP Contributor

do you have google webmaster tool for your website?

Johnbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 10:07 AM   #4
danieldd

@Logan, I've checked How Search Works, but it won't do me bad to revise it.

@Johnbolton, yes of course I have, as I said - I've even fetched the website several times. There is no problem with the sitemap, or whatsoever.

Old 1st July 2014, 02:40 PM   #5
lawebdesign

Generally, websites are indexed so fast that I never open one up until I am ready to have it indexed. Getting them ranked for the terms I want is another matter of course.

If the question was can you use an indexed page to boost other pages, yes I believe so. I read a great write-up about by yoast but can't seem to find the link (will post it if I come across it).

Last week I did a search for a site I was working on and the privacy policy page somehow came up under the terms I was searching. So I just added some appropriately titled links on that page to the pages I wanted indexed as well as boosting that page for density and it seems to have worked in that instance.

lawebdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 05:52 AM   #6
lessbrokerage

Question

Did you Submit the XML Sitemap into Webmaster Tool?

Old 2nd July 2014, 10:32 AM   #7
danieldd

@lessbrokerage - yes, of course, and I've written it in the 1st post.

Old 2nd July 2014, 01:28 PM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Just organic links are going to help.

Its rather simple, you are talking about googlebot activity. Googlebot fetching/caching any new pages is based on links.

For example, think how many links on the internet go to Yahoo home page. Google looks at the number and authority of those links and crawls based on that. Nothing more or less to it.

For example, let us say you get a link on Yahoo's home page to your new site. I can assure you that within 15 minutes or so Googlebot might update their version of Yahoo's home page and subsequently crawl your new home page. The links on your home page then go into the hopper to be crawled and will be subsequently done so based on the googlebot algortithm

I have a handful of site's with webmaster tools, sitemap, etc. And the vast majority over Google's lifetime that never use those tools.

Ultimately, it is links from other site's webpages to yours that determine inclusion. Without those links consistenly in place inclusion in the index will not be maintained over time - regardless of tools or submissions.

Links, links, links.

Old 2nd July 2014, 02:27 PM   #9
SashaMike

No rocket science. You can wait it out to get it indexed automatically. Or do some aggressive link sharing on forums, blogs or other webpages that are already indexed.

SashaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 05:00 PM   #10
danieldd

So, I found another solution:

using Webmaster tools Fetch Tool I manually submitted each page to Google's index. I previously did it but fetched the homepage only and selected the feature to crawl all linked pages as well. Now I fetched each page and selected "submit only this page". Works as a charm!