Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th January 2006, 11:32 PM   #1
aSmarterhost

Lightbulb NEW Webhosting- MArketing approach

Hello,

This is Harris from aSmarterHost, my company and I are attempting to advertise in the most efficient and effective way possible, our company is on a tight budget and has tried a few ways to advertise. Some of the ways we have tried are: web ads, voice broadcasting and banners. Now I want to try offline-advertising. Any suggestions.

Thank you

-Harris

aSmarterhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th January 2006, 09:03 AM   #2
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

One strategy I've seen hosting/web design people do is to make a website for a small business (that doesn't already have one) and then go pitch the store owner - showing them the website. They said their conversion rate is sky high with those "cold" calls.

You can get pretty fast at making custom websites if you set up an efficient process from the get-go.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 03:06 PM   #3
aSmarterhost

thank you for your response.

If I interpreted your suggestion correctly you are saying to design the website first then go to the owner and get him interested?

If so it would take me hours and days to design a highly organized and successful website. Usually costs for such websites go for $700 and upwards. If i were to do that i would be losing a lot of money and what if they are not interested?

But what I could do is show an example of one of my clients' websites and tell them that is what their website can look like if you get it designed + web hosted by us.

thanks for the idea though

-Harris

aSmarterhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2006, 06:58 AM   #4
homebiz_123

Better doing some research on existing leader web hosting company such as godaddy.com and their new rival 1and1.com. Maybe, you can get a better picture then...

homebiz_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 09:51 AM   #5
pageBuzz

Default Advertising Hosting

Harris -

If you come up with something that works.. do let me know!

I have tried TV, Radio, Newspaper and jumping up and down in the street trying to get attention. Maybe it's me, maybe my product.

I ran a radio campaign with 1 10 second blub every hour 24 hours a day with 4 full 60 second spots 4 times a day on 4 stations for an entire month. And I think I have 5 customers at $10 a month from the campaign. I wont even say how much I spent, cause I will get sick.

Similarly I ran photo ads in business journals for 3 months at a time with little sucess.

I have tried cold calling and offering free trials, it will get you customers, but may get you chased out of some businesses.

I used google ads to get started, and that was great. Had hundreds of signups in a single weekend but most canceled and the turn over was high. Now its several dollars just for single click through in the hosting market on google. Way to pricey for the small guy.

I sound like a failure, but actually I have retained enough clients to be sucessful. But the cost was huge and depressing results.

I am looking for a good idea also. So if you come up with one, I have my ears on.

pageBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Jim2Macs

Chamber of Commerce?

Jim2Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Default Yellow page advertising in local areas

I'd try the yellow pages. The yellow pages are not cheap, but it justified itself for me. Its about the only thing that did. Its a lot like search, businesses are actively looking for your service ... reference the yellow pages ... visit your website to see what you offer ... then contact you. I wasn't overcome with leads, but there was a steady stream of qualified people contacting me. This might not work for all, but it is the only approach I can think of that justified itself for me. It provided me a small base of customers to allow me to focus on producing my product and building additional sales via references.

Old 18th July 2006, 05:52 PM   #8
hawkins217

Exclamation Use Your Local Newspaper

It is interesting that I came across this post. I happened to be listeing to a CD where George McKenzie, a publicity pro and award winning TV host and anchor. George was being interviewed about how small business owners should be looking more into offline marketing as well. He was discussing mediums such as TV, Radio, and Newspapers/Magazines.

I plan on writing an article about it once I have finished listening to it. In the meantime, you can check out http://www.publicitygoldmine.com
for some awesome information about offline marketing. Here is what they say about their site:

Publicity, Public Relations, and
Press Release Tips, Tools,
and Tricks...
Here's how you can quickly attract positive newspaper, radio,
and TV coverage that establishes you as an expert in your
field and gets the media to start calling YOU
instead of you calling THEM..

I highly recommend you check it out.
Monique

hawkins217 is offline   Reply With Quote