Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th February 2006, 11:56 AM   #1
NM agent

Default good customer database?

I have been using ACT 2000 as my customer database for several years. It is good but it takes over my computer. For instance, when I try to print a mail-merge from it, it says my spooler isn't working. Then I have to reboot before I can use the printer again with any other program, such as something I've typed on Word.

My boss tells me that the last salesman here had the same problem. His computer was always having problems until he finally got rid of ACT. After he got rid of ACT, he had no more problems. So he told me last week to find and buy some other customer database program and stop using ACT.

I have to agree, I like ACT but I hate that it screws up my computer.

I looked at a couple of other programs like Goldmine but I don't like the way it looks and besides, I have to buy an additional program to get it to transfer my files from ACT.

Does anyone know of a good program for this? ACT can do mail merge (if it worked), keep records of appointments, notes, etc. I want a good program capable of different tasks. Not like Outlook, that doesn't do as much as ACT.
Thanks.

Last edited by NM agent; 15th February 2006 at 11:58 AM. Reason: mistake
NM agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th September 2006, 08:50 PM   #2
pete
VIP Contributor

I started using ACT when it was called First Act, on DOS systems 15 years ago. I was a firm believer in it for a decade. The last version I had was a Not For Resale copy I got from Symantec when they owned the title. About 98 or 99.

It got to where I could not instll the NFR on any of the XP systems, so I made the mistake of buying the 2005 version. It slows everything to a crawl. Not wven using it, just having it loaded taxes the entire system.

I just can't bring myself to use an online CRM (or anything else online for that matter). So, right now I've got one old Windows 98 computer that I use just for ACT and PC Anywhere over a phone line.

And I'm looking, also.

In 30 years of computing I've never seen such a resource hog as the newer ACT versions.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 08:57 AM   #3
MikeLevin

Right now there are a lot of different solutions for CRM systems. Most popular is Zendesk, but a lot of people use Joomla.

Nowadays it's not an issue to use online/cloud based CRM system

MikeLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Win_Vas

CRMs have come a long way. The scarcity of reliable CRM systems a decade ago was a huge headache. Now, there's a sea full of these solutions and it's hard to pinpoint which one would give you definite results.

Win_Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 09:31 PM   #5
Brooke.Harper

Default Re:

Have you checked different CRMs out in the market? Most of these CRMs offer free demos so you can take advantage of this to learn more about each of their features and benefits.