Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Domain Names
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd February 2013, 05:35 PM   #1
ScalableDomains

Default Buying One Domain Name For Your Business Is Not Enough

Hope every one is doing well.
First, always get the .com for your business. It will always be king of the internet.

Secondly, once you set up your business there will be two options. Getting a brandable domain name or a generic key word domain name.

For example, if you run a roofing company it is good to get your brand JohnRoofing.com but you have to considering what client are looking for.

FlordiaRoofers.com
FloridaRoofingService.com
Etc. You get the point.

What I want to point out is that you have to control your niche but owning the key words in that space through owing various domain names. Owning one domain name is not always enough.

Good luck.
Rafael

ScalableDomains is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th February 2013, 12:56 PM   #2
MilesWeb

Well said Rafael, it's always good to register multiple tlds if its available. Along with .com other tlds should also be registered if its available. This helps you to secure your brand name.

MilesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Pooper-Scooper

Yes, that's a good idea. You can easily have some domain names redirect to your main site, too. I also recommend getting a variation of your domain name if it's something that could be spelled differently or otherwise confused. For instance, when I started pooper-scooper.com I also registered pooperscooper.com. So I don't have to stress "pooper DASH scooper" or anything like that. Or you might want to get both the singular and the plural versions of your name. Each domain name is only about $10 a year, more or less, and you don't have to get hosting for every domain if you have the extra ones redirect to your main one.

Pooper-Scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 04:11 AM   #4
stanleywym

I don't usually buy more than one domain name for a business unless I've managed to make profit from the business or it is an established business that I want to protect the brand name.

stanleywym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Handdy.com

Not sure if I agree with these view points for a small business
IF you get a .com and a .net domain that is fine
But one domain is good enough, unless you are a large business trying to protect your IP

Old 7th April 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

Most web owners buy few domains; even if the sales are cost effective. You need to manage those domains. It's near impossible to manage a dozen domains.

Having one domain makes you concentrate all your energies there. Then make another domain if you feel you can handle both.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote