Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th June 2008, 06:25 PM   #1
sergman

Default Niche Advertising

Hi everyone Iím starting a niche direct mail advertising service but I canít find a local distributer does anybody know any good national direct mailing service that can distribute my work

Thanks

sergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:31 PM   #2
dotnetter_ohio

If you are looking for a printer, the USPS can do the printing for you at a reasonable cost + postage. As far as I know, they are actually the cheapest, but you are limited to what kind of cards you can send.

I too am thinking about a direct mail campaign, and was looking at postcardbuilder.com, but I have never seen them. They just sent me some free samples, and they appeared to be pretty good.

One other thing, and I'm not sure if you have this or not, but if you don't have a mailing list, I have used a company called GoLeads in the past. They charge $15 a month I think and you can download a lot of addresses and names. These lists are usually pretty good, but there are some bad addresses, businesses, etc in there.

Best of luck to you, and if I decide to use that other service I will let you know how it goes.

dotnetter_ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 06:31 PM   #3
sergman

Smile

Thanks for the info dotnetter_ohio ill take a look at them.

Old 17th July 2008, 06:34 PM   #4
sergman

Default Franchises or Small businesses

I have been thinking more about this idea would fast food restaurants be a better niche than just small businesses. Or should I just produce two separate booklets.

Old 19th July 2008, 11:07 AM   #5
RichWolff

Send a message via Skype™ to RichWolff

Serg,

You're thinking in the right direction in terms of segmenting your lists. The question is, "What kind of list should i build?" - What exciteds you most? What industry do you konw the most about?

If you know a lot about fastfood restaurants, go for it. Do some research on the industry first that proves fastfood restaurants will make you money. Do you have any evidence that fast food restaurants would be a better niche? How often do they use the service?

Don't waste money on something that could kill you before you begin.

RichWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 12:11 PM   #6
sergman

Marketing is what I know best. What Iím wondering is who would be better clients fast food restaurants or individually owned businesses. What I charge is $150.00 per 1 thousand ads and the other guy charges $3,000.00 per 1,000 ads. When I spread out to nearby towns would it be better to just cold call and get help from the towns local score division?

Old 19th July 2008, 09:58 PM   #7
KerryJS

Sergman,
In regard to fast food restaurants, if they're franchises, their direct mail advertising may be done through head office...could be harder to get into. But there is always the option of approaching the franchise, seeing who handles their marketing (themselves or their head office) and decide from their which way to go.

I'd suggest gathering a bit more research on the fast food outlets, while you start on the small businesses. You can then be developing both.

Kerry

KerryJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 05:13 PM   #8
sergman

Arrow

Thanks for the tip Kerry

I went to your website itís really nice. I see you help people with planning I might needs your service, Iím a terrible planner

Also when expanding business to other towns would the local SCORE chapters be able to help with contacting and dealing with the local businesses

Old 21st July 2008, 02:50 AM   #9
KerryJS

You're welcome. Glad you thought the site was o.k. It's definitely still a work in progress.

Nobody's a terrible planner! Planning's like life...you adjust how and what you plan as you need to. There's no one way...I try and help people and businesses learn how to create ways of planning to suit their purpose. And to remember that what you need is something that works for you...and you're allowed to make it up as you go along...because you own it!

I think SCORE chapters could be helpful with the small business angle. it may even be worth looking at volunteering with them - if you've got the time, and the inclination. It wouldn't generate a lot of income to start with, but I've found that volunteering with organisations like this can get your name out there, as well as giving you the chance to gain a lot of specific info about what small businesses are looking for in your particular area, marketing.

Sometimes donating a little bit for free with an association can generate a word-of-mouth snowball that over time can be very advantageous.

Regarding the franchises, many of them have sites on the net which may give you some info on how their marketing is handled, or at least a contact point to ask the question.

Kerry

KerryJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 02:32 PM   #10
AtlanticCity

Default Strategic Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergman View Post
Thanks for the tip Kerry

I went to your website itís really nice. I see you help people with planning I might needs your service, Iím a terrible planner

Also when expanding business to other towns would the local SCORE chapters be able to help with contacting and dealing with the local businesses

I've heard the term "Strategic Planning" so many times, but I never really reailzed what the basics were all about. I see from the sit ethat there are some great leads.

I'm not in the fast food, planning or distributing business but the techniques are revealing just the same.

AtlanticCity is offline   Reply With Quote