Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th March 2008, 04:46 PM   #1
cornish

Default Could You Check Me Out

Hi all
I have just joined today, I live in Cornwall and a small business with family making handamde soap for all occasions e.g. Wedding favours and table settings, guest soaps.
We have just put our website out today as well, still adding to it.
I would appreciate it if any of you would look and give me some feedback.
Any tips on making the business grow would also be helpful.
The address is : http://www.joseban.com
Thanks for the tip logan.

Regards
Cornish (jo seban)

cornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th March 2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Crimson Fox

The graphic style looks nice.

One thing i would look at is having all the products image, for each category, at the top of the category page. You can then link the image to the description etc.

The problem at the moment, is that to see the range or products you offer you need to scroll too far down the page. Most people won't scroll down that far, unless they are looking for something specific.

Hope that helps.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 09:51 AM   #3
GreenerDaze

Looks like you are on the right track...but the first thing I noticed was that the "Add to Cart" buttons don't work! The best sales pitch in the world won't help if people can't buy.

GreenerDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 11:35 AM   #4
cornish

Hi all
Thanks for your time.
I have looked at the add to cart problem and seems to work now, so hopefully it will work if all the time now.
I have yet to work out the suggestion from Crimson Fox. I am still learning.
But I will try, and thanks again for your time.

Warm regards
Cornish

Old 12th March 2008, 06:24 PM   #5
RayGoneFishing

Nice website, the design looks clean and professional

I'm with Crimson Fox re the product images. You might also want to take a photo of each product and not use the same photo for several. For instance, on the soap bars page you sell packs of one, two and tree bars, but the image is always of two bars. Sure, you mention that in the text, but I think it would be better to have photos of one, two and three bars to go with the text.

Also, you use three different font sizes on that page. First regular size text, then large text and finally really small text near the bottom. Not sure if that's intentional, but it looks kind of strange.

One thing I would get rid of entirely is the "Welcome to..." on each page. Admittedly a pet peeve of mine, but imagine you visit me at home and I keep saying things like, Welcome to my house, welcome to the living room, welcome to the kitchen... The first time you would probably forgive me, but if I keep doing it every time you visit, it would get on your nerves after a while, wouldn't it?

A small thing I saw in the source code of the home page -- you use style sheets for almost everything, which is good, but then you use font tags to style your lists. That would best be moved into the style sheet too.

Ah, and one more thing I noticed because I live in such a remote corner of the world Before I go thru your product pages and think about buying stuff, I'd like to know if you ship worldwide or only to certain countries, what the fees for shipping and handling are, and which payment options you offer. Maybe you could make a separate page about that and explain what you can or cannot do?

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 09:40 AM   #6
cornish

Hi
Thanks for your comments RayGone Fishing.
I will get on to it. This is my first website so, the stuff about font tags to stylesheets left me scratching me head head.
But all your comments are valid and appreciated.
I will now try and work out how to do it.
Thank you again for your time.

Warm regards
Cornish

Old 16th March 2008, 08:59 PM   #7
bayinghound

I like the simplicity of your design.

I would, however, change the font color in your descriptions to something that contrasts more with the white background. The light grey is hard to read on my monitor.

Congrats on starting the site!

bayinghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 12:58 AM   #8
RayGoneFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornish View Post
This is my first website so, the stuff about font tags to stylesheets left me scratching me head head.
Ah, don't worry about the font tags for now. Some purists object to their use, but they get the job done and your pages display consistently across browsers, so it's not a big deal.

When you have some free time, though, I'd suggest you look into style sheets and make your markup a bit more consistent there. Generally, external style sheets make it much easier to style your entire site consistently. If, for instance, you decide one day that you want your page titles in Georgia 14pt red, all you have to do is change one line in the style sheet. If you use inline styles or font tags, you need to change the title of each page individually. More work...

You may also want to run your pages thru an HTML validator (like the one at validator.w3.org/). You have quite a few errors on your pages. Nothing really serious, but it's generally considered good form to have as few errors and warnings as possible on your pages, ideally none at all. But that's sometimes easier said than done, especially if you use a WYSIWYG editor to design your website...

RayGoneFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2008, 12:22 PM   #9
babyjoy214

I checked your site.. I think it needs more colors to entice the eyes to read and check your site more.. Congrats on your new website!

babyjoy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 03:25 PM   #10
cornish

Hi
Thank you all for your comments.
I have done some more work to the website now, hopefully making the right changes.
If anyone would like to comment further I would appreciate it, as I want the site to be a good site with a good shopping experience.
Thank you all again for your time and knowledge, it's been very helpful.

Warm regards
Cornish