Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Angelic1

Exclamation I Have to Start an Affiliate Program...Please Help Me :(

Hello, I just finished creating my small business website and SEO. I had a Google page rank of 5 but now it's down to 3 .

I want to start an affiliate program to dramatically increase sales. I'm sure people would be interested in selling for me because I have a really good product... I just don't know where to start.

I'm thinking a 2 tiered affiliate program.?? Are there any good free scripts for them, and if so: where? How could I best incorporate it into my existing site? And how do I get the word out about it once it's set up?

Thanks so much,

Angelic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th July 2006, 01:04 AM   #2
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Don't worry another second about Page Rank. What you see on the Google Toolbar is generally a waste of your energy Move on to more important things that are within your control.

As for affiliate programs, I haven't had to set one up yet myself, but a close colleague of mine highly recommends a software program over at http://www.idevdirect.com/

You purchase it once and away you go. No service fees or anything like that.

If you do decide to go with something like this, we would all be interested to hear how it works for you!

HTH,
Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 10:36 AM   #3
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

I would avoid the two-tiered system. Most (good) affiliates are not going to invite other affiliates to compete with them. Just offer a higher upfront commission and you'll see better response.

Hand pick your affiliates and you'll see sales. Don't just hope for a bunch of people to sign up because you're now listed with a aff network.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 07:37 PM   #4
Sourceonepc

Default Commissions VS. One-Time Fee. Which is better?

I have started my own affiliate/referral program. I am going to use ACT to keep track of our customers and affiliates. My father, the owner, wants to offer a one-time finders fee of $10, but I think we should go higher, but we are still new and don't have a solid client base to begin offering higher pay. Besides, most of our services are $25. The highest is $75. I wanted to pay commissions on each sale, but he fears that when it comes tax time, trying to account for all the money we gave out will be difficult. Any suggestions.

Sourceonepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Maverick
VIP Contributor

Default Maverick says...

First off, what is your product? If it's a downloadable info product you may consider ClickBank. I like their program for specific products.

2nd, I would only use a fully automated Affiliate software or online service. I prefer my own software because I am experienced enough to install and manage it.

The http://www.idevdirect.com/ program Karri suggest is considered excellent, especially for its low cost and many features. I like webscribble.com Web Affiliate. Also only $99 and they will install it for free. But I suggest you be fairly computer literate, understand the basics to installing CGI scripts in case something goes wrong and you don't want to pay for reinstallation.

Go here: http://www.webscribble.com/products/...liate_software

I use to travel around the country, as a Sr. consultant, and help setup MLM companies, and wrote a book on how to set one up ($150)

one or two tier depends on your needs. I don't know your product or market so I'll not comment on that, except to support jmjj215 comment that I normally prefer single tier over two, because you want to recruit Doers, not those that want to recruit many others to make them rich. Not all have that attitude, but I'll venture to state for the record, that the stats are in your favor that single tier recruits are going to produce much more than second level ones. Just pay the doers, is my motto.

Old 29th July 2006, 06:53 AM   #6
KevinW
VIP Contributor

I would also STRONGLY recommend you look at www.shareasale.com before making any final AM decisions.

They have a growing affiliate base, handle all the tracking and as such are very TRUSTED by affiliates and merchants alike.

If you go out on your own, you'll be responsible for mailing your own payments etc, and most importantly, monitoring your affiliate base for the bad actors (parasites, and other thieves that will steal from you and your affiliates).

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call. My toll free is at the OPMWeb site in my signature below.

Old 30th July 2006, 09:47 PM   #7
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

Offtopic:
Such a dramatic drop in PR may be a sign of low quality website or incoming links (either a penalty for onsite SEO or external linking or a drop of value for incoming links).

What would be a common commission for affiliates? 20-30%? Does it depend on the total amount of the commission? Say, if I sell a $1000 product, can I give only 10% comission or I'd be better off giving away a specific amount, such as $30-100 per client?

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote