Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Affiliate Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2010, 12:23 PM   #1
chrisv

Default Affiliate Marketing For Small Businesses

Hi,

I know that affiliate marketing is available for digital products. But what about physical products?

Let's say i'm an artist and would want affiliates to sell my paintings. How would that work?

I know I would need my own website that can accept transactions, but what system would I use to automatically pay the commissions to the affiliates etc. ?? Commission junction can take care of all that, but the advertiser must have at least 50000$ in sales every month... No artist make 50000$ a month consistently.

Is there a solution out there for small businesses or would the artist need to manually do all the work?

Thanks guys!!

Chris

chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th April 2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, Chris!

I'm not 100% positive about these but for physical goods check out:

Google Affiliate Network
http://www.google.com/ads/affiliatenetwork/

Share A Sale
http://www.shareasale.com/
Merchant fees: http://www.shareasale.com/learnmore.cfm

You can also sell stuff through Amazon.com:
http://www.amazonservices.com/conten...-on-amazon.htm

For readers interested in only selling digital products, in addition to those above here are a couple of well known networks you can take a look at.

E-Junkie - http://www.e-junkie.com/
Merchant fees: http://www.e-junkie.com/ej/pricing.htm

Clickbank - http://www.clickbank.com/
Merchant fees: http://www.clickbank.com/help/vendor...endor-charges/

Old 27th April 2010, 07:59 AM   #3
mktgbiz

Amazon was my first thought...... :tu

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Sas123

But why do you want affiliate marketing? You can work on your own or have a partner to set up your own business.

Old 29th April 2010, 02:35 AM   #5
JC1227

Yes, I'd say you should at least do the sale/marketing yourself. Not only you learn a lot through the process, but also you pocket more money that way.

Somewhere I heard that, if you don't know sales, you probably shouldn't hire sales people or affiliates. If you don't know it, how you make sure that that other person or the affiliates would do a good job?

At least, you should do it yourself first, then when you get a hang of it, let affiliates to handle it.

Old 5th May 2010, 10:13 AM   #6
SmallBizShift

For a small business, there are a couple options:

- You can setup an independent (self-run) program. This is more work, but many of the e-commerce platforms have a basic affiliate program built-in, which would probably work for you. When you look at platforms for selling online, just see if affiliates are one of the capabilities.

- You can use an affiliate network. Robert mentioned Shareasale, which is the one I most frequently hear discussed as friendly to smaller companies. They are a well-regarded program, and have a substantial number of affiliates.

Something like Amazon is also a possibility, but you won't have any options regarding commission rates, and sales will not take place on your site - on the other hand, we all know that Amazon gets a huge number of visitors, who could potentially find your products.

Regardless of what you choose, running an affiliate program will take some time. You need to promote your program (using a network will help some), and if your conversion rate/commission % is not good enough, successful affiliates will not promote your products, so you must be constantly working to improve your site.

SmallBizShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Fun to Write

I think it will be hard for you to find affiliates to promote artistic type products.

Most affiliates promote either information products or physical products that can be found on Amazon and eBay.

I understand your desire to sell your original art. My dad was a self-taught painter. I agree with others who said you are the best salesperson for your own creations. You create them with passion and love.

I think you should set up a website that displays your artwork, then visit forums and social networking sites, where you can be free to chat and be yourself. No real "selling" involved. If people like who you are, then they'll check out your artwork.

Fun to Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2010, 02:37 PM   #8
jpub

I run an affiliate program for an e-product my small business sells. I'm also an affiliate for some products and services - so I'm familiar with both sides of the affiliate business.

I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't get affiliates selling your art. There are affiliate marketers in every type of niche and market. In fact, if you sell your work for high prices, affiliates may be very interested because of higher commissions.

As an affiliate, I favor products and services that convert well and offer lifetime commissions. If you want to recruit effective affiliates, offer a lifetime cookie. This means if a referred customer buys from you numerous pieces over a couple of years, your affiliate receives a commission for all those sales. As an affiliate, I love the potential for recurring commissions if it's possible.

Given you're selling art, you could create some banners that profile your pieces so people looking for art will get a preview in the banners and be intrigued to click. I realize banner ads are not always effective, but for selling art, they could be.

Be prepared to offer your better selling affiliates higher commissions.

Finally, and this is incredibly important, offer your affiliates exclusive discount codes. This serves as an incentive for your customers to shop through your affiliate links, which in turn is an incentive for your affiliates to promote your products.

Additionally, if you can, prepare some articles and e-mail messages your affiliates can use in their promotional efforts. Treat your affiliates like gold and make it as easy as possible for them to sell your products.

With ShareASale you can create 2-tiered affiliate programs meaning affiliates who recruit affiliates receive a % of all sales of their recruited affiliates. This is an excellent way to attract more affiliates. Why? Because affiliate marketers with huge lists of affiliate marketers will promote your affiliate program.

To get started, find some websites that are topical to what you're selling - art blogs, etc. and approach the publisher and ask if they would like to be an affiliate. As a publisher, I get approached all the time to be an affiliate. I like this proactive approach - as long as the product/service is high-quality and relevant.

IMPORTANT: before actively recruiting affiliates, be sure your conversion rate is high. Test and tweak until you get excellent conversion. Test with at least 1,000 or more visitors (use PPC - Google, Bing and/or Facebook Ads so you can get immediate traffic). Aim for at least 1% conversion, but 3 to 4% is fantastic. Then you can entice affiliates with your high conversion rates. Affiliates love high conversion rates.

Once you have a high conversion rate, and if you set up a 2-tier commission program, approach some super affiliates in the Internet Marketing niche with an incredibly exclusive commission and ask them to tell their list of affiliate marketers about your program. With a high-conversion rate to promote, you can expect to build an army pretty fast.

ALSO, start building an email list of your affiliates right away. When an affiliate signs up for your affiliate program, offer extras if they sign up. This way you build an army of affiliates to whom you can inform about sales, promotions, extra high commissions, etc.

When you think about it, having an army of affiliates selling for you is an amazing way to build your business. They'll build websites and blog about your product. You only pay them when sales are made. It's an excellent model if you go about it right.

jpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Kyle D

Lightbulb

Hi
In regards to your question what system can you use...
I just started my own affiliate program and I used an online program called post affiliate pro 4.
It was Free and really easy to set up.
My program is very new as is my website, so I can't give you alot of feedback on the long term services, but so far, so good. Support has been very helpful and the product seams to be a good fit for me.
Best of Luck

Kyle D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 02:30 AM   #10
AlenWayne

Default hi

welcome to the forums Kyle

AlenWayne is offline   Reply With Quote